Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

May i ask a silly question of you all?

Do you like bats?

Penny  bear_flower

slowbat.gif

and........another silly question.......is Doris Day still alive?

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Of course I like you Penny! bear_tongue  bear_grin

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Yes I love bats we used to have them living in our loft space in our cottage in Cornwall.
They are a protected species in the UK so it was just as well we like them.
And sorry I don't know about Doris Day

PaintsNMinis Sidhe Bears
Vienna, NJ

Yep, like bats... i think they're kinda cute (as long as they don't have rabies...then they scare me)  We had some in the attic one year, they kept our back deck clear of bugs, was nice sitting out there that year.  Then they left on Labor Day weekend... counted 85 before we gave up... and they never came back!  They must have had one heck of a party to get that many in there!

According to IMDB.com, Doris Day is still alive (at least they don't list a date of death for her)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000013/  and I know she is busy with the Doris Day Animal Foundation http://www.ddaf.org.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I love bats Penny! Why're you asking?

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Yup!  In fact hubby will be building some bat houses so that they live in our yard.  They eat TONS of mosquitoes!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Love them! The battier the better. They dive-bomb us all summer.

Why, Penners?  bear_ermm

Eileen

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Yep, I like them as they do keep down the bugs, but I don't think I'd like them by the hundreds...too scary.  They can go live in a cave if there's gonna be that many...

As for Doris Day, yes, I think she's still alive...

...and the connection for these two questions???  bear_wacko

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Penny, we used to have loads of bats around, when we lived up north in Deep River.  Twice the got into the house, when the kids left the door open at night.  One wooshed over my face when I was in bed one night, and that didn't make to too happy.  Managed to trap it in the bathroom and open the window for it to get out.  They eat a kazillion, trillion, billion black flys and that sure made us happy LOL!

By the way, Doris Day is in her 80's, still alive, retired and living in Carmel, California (I believe thats the city).  It's one of those tidbits of info that stuck in my mind from Entertainment tonight, recently!

Hugs,

Brenda

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I love all animals.  Yes even bats.  I think bats get a bad rap.  They are sweet  and gentle...from the giant fruit bats to the tiniest little ones that are the size of yoru thumbnail.   

I nursed a young bat ..or at least I thought I was taking care of him.... by feeding him hotdogs.

I think they are sweet and shy and have been given a bad rap by Halloween.  SPIDERS...now that is a different subject....

nettie scotland
Website

I love bats.I had a few encounters at school camp many moonlings ago.I have books on all the different species.Fruit bats are my favourite.I think they are really beautiful.
I would like to see a bat you make ,youmake such cute critters.
Diane x

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Well firstly..........Doris Day...............

Me and El Tel were having this argument about Doris Day. He said she was still alive and i said that i was sure she had died. So things have come to a sorry pass when you can't even rely on Doris Day anymore!

Secondly..............Bats..........

Yes, i want to make a bat and i just wondered if anyone else liked them because i love em! I can't tell you how much it has warmed the cockles of my heart to hear so many of you praise the little furry flappers!

We have them here and they are teeny weeny little things (not sure what type-must check that out) and they live in our roof space and flitter about sooo beautifully on long summer evenings. I am looking forward to seeing them soon. I suppose they are about a lot but with the British weather i don't get to sit out in the garden a lot at night.

Soooo, there you have it girls. Did you think i was building up to an Aprils Fools Day joke? Sorry but Miss Shantell Queen of the Gags beat me to it
bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Penny  :hug:

p.s. i AM glad that Doris Day is still alive and it happened because Nettie mentioned a Doris Day song in another posting here so basically it was HER fault we had the argument in the first place
bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

YES, Doris is still alive, but her son isn't.  He died awhile back . . . read it in the newspaper.  And yes, she is an animal champion, bless her!

YES, I LOVE bats . . . they eat mosquitos.  We have three bat houses out, but never have attracted any residents.  Wasps love the houses, though, and build many apartments in them.  So add another bat lover to the list!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Penny,
                Yes, I love bats too, we have had them for about 5 summers now and I love to watch them on a summer's night diving around the lights etc.  Hugs Rita xxx

krystolla Fuzzbutt Bears
Columbus Ohio

That reminds me, I've got to get my bat house up this year. I love bats, what other mammal fits so neatly in a garden? Eats the bad bugs at night, curls up tidily for the day, no holes dug, no bulbs eaten, and doesn't bother with the bird feeders.

I think a bat would be a great speciman to turn plush too -- they have those great big ears and delicate pointed faces. Unfortunatly I'm still struggling with my gryphon pattern or else I'd propose a bat challange! :)

-- Erika
Fuzzbutt Bears

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I love to look at bats some have such cute faces. When you get a colony of them in the trees they stink ..... and they cause alot of damage here with the fruit ... so they are not too popular with fruit farmers ...... but still they are cute

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I don't care for real life bats, but I think a bat that an artist made would be nice. 

I didn't know they ate mosquitoes.  Living in South Florida, we have lots of mosquitoes so now I really like them!   bear_original

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Yes Penny, I like bats! bear_thumb
When I was young we lived near a cave that had several bats living in it. Small, cute, harmless, furry and utterly fascinating to me. During the day you could just walk right up to one and hold it. I wanted to take one to school but my parents wouldn't let me. I really enjoyed watching them swoop around our yard light eating bugs.  I wish there were more here where I live now.

Laura Lynn,  How do you make a bat house?

And once you build one, how do you entice the bats to move in? cheap rent? free food? I can do both of those things!! bear_laugh
I would like to have more bats around to eat the mospuitoes!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think bats are cool but I wouldn't touch one if I could help it because they tend to carry scary diseases.  Like Diane, I'm partial to the flying foxes, a.k.a. fruit bats.

My sons have a picture book about a bat called STELLALUNA and we have the bean-y toy of her.  Very cute!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww

Dilu is batty for bats......

They eat mosquitos

huggles

Dilu queen of the Gollydingbats

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Bonnie!  Just now checked in.... My hubby is a woodworker and found some plans for bat houses in one of his woodworking magazines.  I also found the finished product at Mendards for like $12!

But here's a link to a place that sells a bunch of types...and books too!
http://www.backyardbird.com/bathouses.h … C=standard

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Thanks Laura Lynn and WildCatDancer!!

I'm off to check out these sites!
I haven't had much luck with purple martins so maybe I can coax some bats to live here.  bear_original

Board footer