Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use Micron 05 in a variety of colors -- black, light brown, even purple or green sometimes, depending on the color of the mohair backing.

The 05 tip is firm and fine and does not bleed, even when fray-checked.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Shelli, is Micron a felt tipped pen??

I love the idea of the new forum by the way! Thanks.
Danni

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Pentel Gel Pens!!!!  Tried different brands and Pentel works the best!  No bleeding either!

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

I use a pen, bought here in Sweden, that dissapear after a whike...So far I have used it on all my bears, even white ones, and you cant see it at all! Think its great, even tho you can mark too dark colors..
Any idea of what do draw with on cashmere?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Delartful Bears wrote:

Shelli, is Micron a felt tipped pen??

I love the idea of the new forum by the way! Thanks.
Danni

Micron is a felt tipped pen; yes.  But it's not what you think of when you think "felt tipped."  It's got a very, very hard little tip that probably measures about 1mm or less in length (from where it exits the pen barrel to its endpoint) and is even less wide than that!

It IS possible to crush the tips out of shape; my kids do it to my "special" pens all the time (doggone little turkeys!)  But when I use them -- gentle soul that I am -- on fabric, they've never shown any inclination to crush or bend out of shape.  They're very "sharp."

Re: gel pens.  I should mention that I use those too, in white, gold, or silver, for marking the back of dark fabrics.

Australia

Ooh okay, so I'm guessing that Micron comes from the fact that the tip is tiny.  I will have to look into them and see if they are available here in Australia. They sound good.

I use a plain old fine Felt Tipped pen in black. When I use a black mohair, I use a gold gel pen.

Thanks Shelli!
Danni

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

So there is Pentel Micron .05  Gel  ( hard tip )felt tip pens in colors used for.....marking around bear patterns.

OK...so can you use these pens to color say...nose threads or shading the face ? or just do distinctive face details like " tears"  on a  bear clown , etc. Has anyone tried the pens in this way?....Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Actually, yes I have!  Occasionally I'll have some stray hairs poking thru my finished floss nose (I don't use a template underneath) and the Micron pens work beautifully to color over these little strays.  I also use them to trace the nose shape directly onto the mohair backing before sewing (that trace line IS my template) and sometimes, even to colorize the strand of floss that I use to encircle my finished nose, for a little extra color accent.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

FYI -- The pen I use is not by Pentel but by PIGMA.  Here's a link to some photos of it.  I use the 05 size.

http://folkart.net/painting-accessories … icron.html

Australia

Ah thanksf or the photo Shelli, now I know what to look for!

Danni

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
sockerplinga wrote:

I use a pen, bought here in Sweden, that dissapear after a whike...So far I have used it on all my bears, even white ones, and you cant see it at all! Think its great, even tho you can mark too dark colors..
Any idea of what do draw with on cashmere?

I use disappearing ink too!!! I used sharpies, that didnt work, i used blue ballpoint pen, that didnt work so i foudn the disappearing ink and will not use anything else, unless it wont work on something!!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Ooh, posh pens!  Um, I er ... well, that is ... I use a .... (wait for it!) ... black biro! :lol:

If using dark fabric I just use a Pentel white pen ... mind you, they do clog and run out quickly.  GRRRR!!! bear_ermm

BethBear Posts: 27

On cashmere, you might try the powdered chalk markers made for fine fabric sewing.  I use them to trace around my patterns all the time but would thing the Pigma Microns or disappearing markers would be faster.  One caveat, I got a disappearing marker that disappers too fast!  Being very humid where I live, it was a bummer if you are interrupted while cutting.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Not sure if this is an old idea, but a great one for sure.
My grandparents always had a drapery/quilting business. Granded when they had to draw lines on the fabric, they were mostly long lones, but they used old bars of soap. You know, after you've used them for a bit, the get kinda small. Those work great!! And of course were good for all types of material. Plus, it was cheap, and always in the house.
Just make sure the soap is white, not the fancy stuff, as it leaves no line that you can see.
I have to admit I have yet to try it on a bear. Just thought of it when I was reading this post. I think I'm gonna try it though.
Heather

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Good idea..some soaps are harder than others...usually the hand milled ones are harder...but then Ivory soap is the cheapest. Don't anyone forget to not bite your fingernails later while working on this bear...or you will be blowing bubbles for awhile...Winney

Board footer