Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I use 100% nylon upholstery thread for all my bearmaking... from machine stitching to gathering at the neck to inserting the eyes.  I find it nearly impossible to break and for larger bears the tiny bit that it "slips" on occasion is unnoticeable.

I have tried Heavy Duty and Quilting threads but have managed to break both types with ease, maybe because I use a lot of pulling force in my needle sculpting and eye setting.

I don't have any experience with sinew or artificial sinew, which have come recommended.  Anybody have a brand or source to recommend?

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Everyone,

Good topic, like you I love Upholstrey Thread.  I also use it for everything, from handstitching the whole bear, gathering, sinking eyes, and my sculpting. I use the Serafil brand, that is fantastic. However, I am only able to get about 7 colours in the thread, and would love more.  So, does anyone know of any good sources where I can perhaps get more colours?

Thanks,
Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi, I use the German, Gutermann upholstery threads which I find are great they are really strong and if I do get a knot in the thread whilst sewing it is really easy to undo it. I hand sew all of my bears and this thread gives me confidence to know the bear will not come apart when I stuff it.

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I 've only used the Artificial Sinew  for handsewing real fur bears. The best source for artificial sinew is probably TandyLeather, which also sells a variety of needles--my favorite for real fur being the glover's needle.

http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?dept=166

The AS comes in natural, black, white and brown.

Eileen

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Bulletin: Artificial sinew in 'natural' is now 50% off!!

http://www.tandyleather.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1120800Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

For gathering at the neck I use the waxed eye floss!  Super strong!!  (might be like sinew??)

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Great topic!I too use the Gutermann thread for all my hand sewing,it's not "bulky" like some other heavy threads.I use dental floss for my neck and to put my eyes on.I find it very strong.I'll have to check out the sinew link.Thanks,Shari.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Like most everyone, I use upholstery thread (Coats and Clark brand) and it comes in many colors.  I have gotten some from Intercal, however, and it comes on a bigger spool . . . so lasts much longer and they have umpteen gillion colors!  For setting eyes, I also use the artificial sinew . . . nothing I've tried seems to work as well.  It's a little waxy, so won't slip and the thread can be separated into 2 or 3 strands - making it go a lot further.  The smaller strands are still very strong!  I have found the sinew at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Sounds good!I think we may have the sinew in my store in the beading section.I'll have to look tomorrow.I do like the waxed floss though and it seems stronger than my regular thread.

Shari.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shari...I HATE to be the "bearer"('scuse the pun:P)of bad tidings....but dental floss has been proven to disintegrate over time and is not recommended for use in bear making. I was told this by Jennifer Laing, who says that 90% of bears bought to her for repairs have had split seam closures and missing eyes with ooey gooey messes that used to be dental floss. Aparently using dental floss was the idea of one of the more well known "original" bear artists...and theyused dental floss because there was nothing else available at the time, and it seemed very strong. Unfortunately, no-one new how it would stand up long term, and the sad fact is...it doesn't. I'm sure many well known artists probably shudder to think of their masterpieces coming to bits in the future.:( There are still many artisits using and recommending dental floss for bears...and we all need to get the word out there to save people from future heartache. Well all like to feel that many years down the track, our bears will be as good as the day we made them. I used dental floss for the first three years I was making bears too....and have kept lots, with no evidence of breakdown....but why take the risk. I'm sure Jennifer has no reason so exaggerate (unless she has shares in the sinew stakes :lol:)
Artificial sinew is definitely the way to go...like Sue Ann says....it's so strong and very economical. It has the same stickiness as dental floss so it holds well...and it comes in Natural, Black, White and Red.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks Hayley,I am shuddering now bear_ermm But I'm so glad you told me.I will watch for this on my angel bear that you have convinced me to keep:D I'll definetly look for the sinew.

Hugs and Blessings,Shari.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shari, You took that news very well...10 points to you! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for quite a few of my older bears too. And rest assured, we aren't the only ones who will get a few worry lines over this one! So glad you will keep the angel....it's meant to be and she is worth far more than a bit (okay a lot!) of cash.
Hugs,

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I prefer the Gutermann thread.  I have also used the Mastex but do not like it as well.  For the eyes I am using waxed linen thread or artificial sinew.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I was lucky to purchase several large reels of thread a few years ago. The lady I had them off got them from a shoe manufacturer that was closing down, so I guess they were used to stitch leather. You can't snap it. My husband even used it to make a humane 'mouse trap'. Don't ask. It was like something off the road runner with a bucket one end, and my thread used to lever it up over the bait and my husband the other ready to cut the thread if the mouse appeared. No he didn't get the mouse but it proved how good my thread was! ( he had tried everything else from glue traps to the humane ones you buy)  Neep Neep!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I like Guterman for machine and hand sewing . I use artificial sinue  ( a waxed thread) I got at Tandy's Leather for tieing the eyes in and needle sculpting . I also lately have been using a natural artificial sinue . These last 2 threads do not ever slip....Winney

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

What kind of monofiliment would be heavy duty??? I use monofiliment but noticed that it doesnt like to hold the tension sometimes... any ideas of strong brands or alternative?  i like the monofiliment because you cant see it though!!!:)

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Thx so much, Shelli. I hoped someone would find our past threads. Did you look under Show All Of My Posts to finfd old materials like this> Just curiuos..

But - was it ever decided that dental floss will or won't break down over time.

for repairs have had split seam closures and missing eyes with ooey gooey messes that used to be dental floss

I don't mean to question this but split seams sounds more to me as if the 'thread/floss' cut through the fabric at both seam closings and where the eye thread was knotted off at the back of the head.... We have no way of knowing whether or not a touch of glue was also added to the knots for assurance.

My thoughts on this are based on recently clearing out a linen closet and finding the little sample sizes of floss given to us by our dentists more than 15 years ago, some almost 20 years. I can date these back to then because that's when we changed dentists and they have the Dr's info printed on them.
We had a forward-thinking Dr who gave out toothbrushes & floss even back then on every visit; with 5 of us we collected many more than we could use and I just put the extras in a box. They are perfectly good and we've been using them up now. They work just as well as currently produced floss.
B
I never used it for bears but was looking for background to back up something I said (as a Moderator) on a bear list.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

These days I prefer 'bonded nylon' for fixing in eyes and closing seams and 'Drima' to machine sew with.  Can't find the Drima in my local haberdashers now though, only Coats and that's far less strong.  Pah!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I'm going to be sewing a couch slipcover out of denim. What thread would you all recommend?

I usually use Mettler's Metrosene Plus but wonder if/how upholstery threads would do (if even needed.)
The couch is not one that's often used so stress at the seams is not an issue..

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Mastex still works for me.  And my bears.

Long Beach, CA

Gutermans' thread works too.  And for the bear.

Japhe Japhe's Bears
UK

I always use Bonded Nylon for every part of my bears it is very strong. I was going around a car boot sale a few months after I started bear making and saw 6 huge reals  for 50 pence each I didn't realise at the time how much of a bargain I had and now never use anything else.

On the Dental floss front my first 5 bears I used it on the eyes luckily I only sold one of those bears the others I still have and one of them the floss did break  I could pull the eyes right out of its head poor thing but the others are still solid

teeeej Brisbane

I use Guttermans for most of the sewing. I love bonded nylon for closing up seams and doing face sculpting. I also use artificial sinew for the eyes and neck opening. I haven't used mastex thread yet but I hear good things about it.

Long Beach, CA

bear_flower
I also use artificial sinew on the eyes.  I never used dental floss.  Do you use artificial sinew to needle sculpt the eye sockets? 
bear_original

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I use bonded nylon for all my bears (I hand sew all my bears) including some finer bonded nylon for my minis as no matter what size bear I make I wouldn't like the thought that the threads wouldn't stand the test of time.
Laurie :hug:

Board footer