Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have no "method" to speak of for pulled toes and am looking for a technique to follow, step by step, myself.  I have done separated tootsies on occasion but honestly can't remember how I even did them.

Anyone have something to share on this most interesting of subjects?

BearPawsbyJody Bear Paws by Jody
Honolulu, Hawaii

Hi Shelli,

I use a technique for sculpted paw pads that I learned in one of Jennifer Laing's class in which you cut two pieces of ultrasuede material, or any other material that does not fray at the edges.  One piece is cut in the shape of the top four toes and the other is a larger piece for the bottom portion of the paw.  You can cut the ultrasuede in any shape that you desire to change the appearance of the paws.  You hand stitch the ultrasuede on the top of the mohair paws leaving a small opening.  Stuff the pads with polyfil and hand stitch closed.  Then you needle sculpt the toes using upholstery thread and then shade the edges. 

E-mail me if you have any questions.  Hope this helps!

Jody

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jody, you're my new favorite person.  Thanks so much for explaining this so clearly.  My only question would be about the attaching part.  You said to handstitch the non-fraying toe and heel pieces to the mohair pawpad, leaving a small opening for stuffing.  Do you do this from the "wrong" side?  And which stitch do you use?

Visual people like me do better with pictures.  Maybe I'll have to ferret out Jennifer Laing,m or one of her books (do you know which, if any, might showcase this technique?) for myself...!

Honolulu, Hawaii

Hi Shelli,

I hand stitch the ultrasuede patch onto the mohair leg paw first and then attach the paw pad to the leg.  For the arms, I hand stitch the ultrasuede patch directly onto the arms once it's sewn together.  I'm sure you can sew the patches on first before you sew the arms together, as done with the legs, but I've always just hand stitched the patches onto the paws after the arms are sewn together.  I use a back stitch to sew the pads onto the paws.

I hope this is making sense.  It's really rather simple once you get the hang of it, just time consuming.

I have several of Jennifer Laing's books, but I'm not sure if she included this paw technique in her book.  I think she
just explains the sculpted toe technique, which is also very appealing.

By the way, Shelli, your Charlie and the Chocolate Factory bear is wonderful!  All of your bears are a work of art!

Jody

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

One more question on those tootsies Jody...you hand stitch using a back stitch...is this done on the raw edge of the ukltrasuede or is there a seam turned? Sorry to be so annoying with the bearspecificities...( new bear word) ...Winney

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I double dare you to try and pronounce that word....he, he..Winney

Honolulu, Hawaii

Hi Winney

I back stitch on the raw edge.  I guess you could turn the sides down if you were using a material that frayed, but it's much easier to use ultrasuede or a thin leather.  I also use miniature mohair.

Jody

Board footer