Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh boy, I do need some suggestions on what to do about a young coyote that prowls our back woods.  About a year ago, we had some animals coming through the pet door to eat the food from the buffet I always leave out for our cats.  (The pet room is our enclosed patio.)  We had raccoons, possums, and one snake dining at the restaurant.  I am an avid animal lover, but I do draw the line at them coming inside . . . so I started putting a food bowl out at night for them.   And it has worked - no more scavengers coming in.
Now there is a different problem.  We live out in a wooded area on an acre of land (for 20+ years) and the area is getting more and more developed, thus disturbing the natural habitat of the wildlife.  So now we have this half-grown coyote that's been helping himself to the outdoor food supply for I don't know how long.  He's become more and more brazen about coming out during the day to look for food, so we're very concerned about our pets.  The poor animal looks like he's starving . . . so skinny.  I'm assuming he doesn't eat much more, if anything, other than what I provide.  I've moved the food much further away from the house, but do I need to stop feeding him altogether?  I'd just hate for him to starve to death! HELP!!!  Any advice is welcome. bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

EEEEK! no suggestions but I would be so scared.... Sorry I can't help  :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Well Sue Ann, I suspect you need to get ahold of  Fish and Game and have them trap him and relocate him.....and that wont be easy,

Speaking from years of experience with coyotes here is the problem:  now that he is used to being feed he will expect it and coyotes  don't tend to make a distinction between family pets and friends and food on the hoof.  And now that he is coming into your home he has really crossed a scarry line.  Are you sure he isn't rabid?

I would not mess around.  Coyotes carry a lot of diseases that we don't want your babies getting.

Also I would immiedietly get a smaller pet door, unless your cats are as big as the coyote....

I never minded feeding the skunks and racoons, but when coyotes begin to think your home is his territory there is going to be bloodshed eventually and I would hate that to happen to your babies or in your porch area.

Coyotes are opportunistic....and they are smart.  They are like smart ugly dogs....well the Sierra coyotes are ugly.  Very territorial.....

good luck.....keep us posted....

By the way.....if they have a hard time traping him, be prepared, they will most likely bait him with bacon and then shoot him.

Dad used to shoot them.....he didn't mess around.  Ricky said that is what he would do too.....but in defferance to sensitive natures he also suggested a 'Have-a-heart' trap, and again bair with bacon and then take him way the "hell and gone" away so that you don't have him dropping by for Thanksgiving.  They are quite expensive but effective.....and you would need quite a large one I believe.

Also you could ask your vet if he knows anyone who traps them-at least where I grew up there were folks who would 'trap and take'

I'm sorry.  I know you don't want to hear this.  But it is always a possibility.

But the primary thing is that he can't continue to believe you are his territory
or your own furr babies will be on the endangered list.

OK PETA PEOPLE bombard me with hate mail....but facts are facts.....you must always consider the nature of the beast, be it man or coyote.

love ya hon....I am sorry

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well, I'm by far an expert on any of this but here are my thoughts:

YES, Stop Feeding Him!!! By coming to your house for food out of a bowl he is not learning to fend for himself... i.e. HUNT. Therefore, if he doesn't learn to hunt NOW his chances for survival are slim. He needs to be a wild coyote... not a domestic animal. Also, you are teaching him that humans are ok... "They feed me!" but that can be dangerous as this is still a wild animal and can turn on anyone or anything and cause harm. Though I have read that coyotes are more afraid of us than us of them. Still, you don't want to take a chance or give it the wrong message. NOR do you want him in your house! And if you continue to put that bowl of food out he's apt to 'fight' what ever animal he needs to for food... even your own cats.

So, the next thing is... that pet door of yours. I know you'll hate me for saying this but I, personally, think it needs to go! We don't have one because we live in a wooded neighborhood....  12 houses on 140 acres leaves a lot of room for wildlife to roam and yet just a few miles up the road there are 3 huge developments going in forcing even more wildlife to our neighborhood. I'm horrified to think of what would be roaming around IN our house if we had a pet door for them to come and go thru freely!

If you don't want to get rid of the pet door perhaps at least move the food inside the house behind closed doors that only humans can open. Then give that porch a really good deodorizing.

Also, by removing the outdoor food bowl and any immediate temptation inside the pet door, you are encouraging the other wild visitors you have to be WILD animals as well.

It sounds like the wildlife problem you are having is only going to increase as more land is turned into housing, etc. It's sad, really. But, just as change is inevitable for the wildlife, it's going to have to be for you too, I'm afraid.

I hope you can find a solution you can live with...... I know others will come up with more suggestions. I hope I'm wrong! It would be nice if we could live WITH wildlife some how without endangering anyone.

Hugs,
Daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Well, he hasn't actually made it into the house . . . think he's too big for the cat's door.  We did call our animal control officer and he said essentially what you did.  He has very poor luck trapping them because they're so smart.  So tomorrow we will call a natural habitat wildlife museum that is about 50 miles away from us and see what they suggest.  Thanks for replying!

One last thing.....Coyotes run in packs......and while they have secret places where they like to hunt, cats, dogs chickens.....eventually the whole pack will come a calling.

If you don't believe me do some homework hon.....but if you wake up to moonlight serenades on the next full moon and it is right outside your window.........

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Aren't there pet doors that have electronic collars that only the pets that have collars can "unlock" them????

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Dilu wrote:

but if you wake up to moonlight serenades on the next full moon and it is right outside your window.........

Oh, that sound gives me the chills... just thinking about it and I have goose bumps. We have a large pack of coyotes in our neighborhood... it got the neighbor's dog a few weeks ago. You should hear them when they've made a kill or for what ever reason they go into their barking frenzy. It's CREEPY!!!!!! I mean really creepy!!

Yes, have it trapped!!! We don't do that a whole lot around here because we're in the woods, in the mountains, we CHOOSE to live amongst the wildlife so must learn to live with them... too many to just trap one or two and haul them off to never never land!

Good luck, Sue Ann!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

SueAnn,
You may want to invest in a cat door that has the magnetic thing that will only work on certain collars, then put collars on your cats.  Stop feeding the outside animals.  We had a skunk in our living room because of the cat food.  That was not fun!   You will want to discourage the coyote from coming around.  Does he have a regular time he comes to eat?  As a kid on the farm I was not comfortable with the gun.  My dad would shoot them but he kept firecrackers by the back door for us females that were not real gun people.  The firecrackers did not hurt them in any way but kept them a safe distance from the house.  They would try to take down our medium sized dogs but not the german shepards.  I would try to trap him if you can't scare him away.
Donna

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
kbonsall wrote:

Aren't there pet doors that have electronic collars that only the pets that have collars can "unlock" them????

Yes, they do.  My friend has them for her kitties and swears by it.

Speaking of coyotes...I saw one in the pasture today and my housemate called out to it..."hey Wiley Coyote"...it took off the other direction...and THEN...the cows started chasing it.  I wish I would have had the video camera handy.  It was a hoot!!!

I'm getting ready to trap my two ferrel kitties to take them in for shots and neutering.  I'm nervous about scaring them off for good.

Good Luck SueAnn!!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
Donna wrote:

SueAnn,
You may want to invest in a cat door that has the magnetic thing that will only work on certain collars, then put collars on your cats.

This is what I was talking about but wasn't sure how to explain it bear_original  bear_thumb

Couldnt you also call Game Control or whatever they are called?

You got it Daphne......and when you hear a cat scream or a wee little pup yipping it just breaks your heart.  However, and I guess my attitude come with growing up with them....you gota consider the nature of the beast and the counter it so that your own chickens ducks geese pups and cats aren't the first course.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

We live in the country and there aren't any developments around so there are lots of places for the wildlife. When they come to close to the house - and look like they want to stay - it's dangerous and something drastic has to be done. Raccoons especially in our area tend to be rabid. We had one last week that was just hanging around a few feet from the window - during the day. My husband shot it because that is very unusual behaviour for a raccoon and we were worried about out domestic animals. We also have a lot of coyotes in the area - I do enjoy hearing the howling at times but don't like them too close to the house. I hope you are able to safely re-locate your 'friend' before any cat-astrophes occur.

Marion

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Poor old thing...........are you still feeding it Sue Ann? And did you get the magnetic cat flap thingamajig?

Penny :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sue Ann, I know how much you love animals...me too... I love it when I see a red fox or deer running in one of our fields.  We also have groups of turkeys and pheasants that walk right across our front yard.  Nature is so beautiful.    How thrilling it would be to see a cyote...but scarey for you pets safety.

I agree with Dilu and Daphne.  How sad it is that so many animals are losing thier habitat, but even worse would be losing one of your pets to a hungry cyote.

Shantell, I have also seen cows chase canines.  They will first try to get away..then will stop , turn, and charge.    Our neighbor (when I saw neighbor it's about 1/2 mile away) has a medium sized dog that would , on several occasions "visit" our farm...he was not welcome here at all.  He would chase our cattle and single on out and try and wear her out.  This would make my husband so MAD...and he never gets mad....but don;t mess with his COWS!  Thier kids would always come and try to get thier dog back...and one time one of the younger boys said ,"  Tell Mark, sorry if any of his cows are dead."
'
We talked with our neighbors and explained that they have to keeop thier dog away from our farm...and they are the nicest people too.
Dogs are natural enemies to cows...even domestic dogs create an uncortable stir in cattle.  Mark doesn't even like our little fluff ball, Mandy, in the barn..she upsets the cows.
Well, one day this same dog came after one of our calves and Mark went to get his gun.  He said, ,"That's IT!"  I begged him not to shoot the dog.  The neighbors are so sweet and have seven young children.  Mark went over and offered them some long lengths of twine to keep the dog on a long leash.    So far so good. bear_thumb   

I hope you get your cyote situation fixed soon Sue Ann.  Let us know what happens.  Best of luck, bear_thumb  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks so much, everyone, for your welcome and realistic suggestions.  Yesterday, I had put out a large plastic dish full of dry cat food back in the woods.  Today the whole kit and caboodle are gone . . . no trace of the dish and/or the food.  My guess is that this smart little coyote ate and then took the rest back to his hideaway . . . dish and all.  I will take your advice and NOT put out any more food.  Haven't seen it today, but will call the wildlife museum and see what their suggestions are.  Thanks again for your replies - you TTers are THE BEST!!

Lisa, I remember the dingo story and yes, the coyote is a member of the dog family.  Wonder what really did happen to that woman's child???!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

"The Dingo stole my bay-bee!"  My friends and I used to say that all the time.  I loved that movie and never did know which "side" to take.  A complicated case.

Sue Ann, I don't envy you.  Sorry you're having to deal with this.  I know that as an animal lover it must be hard to consider trapping or killing this animal, but my concern, like others here, would be that the animal is sick, and that's why it's so skinny, so ready to take your food, and so content to be seen in daylight so close to your home.  I guess I'd go with "charity begins at home" and protect those animals that really ARE your dependents, which it sounds like you're choosing to do as well.

Good luck to you; let us know how it turns out.

:hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

SueAnn,  I am such a softie for animals, but I have to agree with everyone else on this one.  I think mother nature has it right - the healthy ones that can look after themselves should live and the ones that can't, shouldn't as they become a danger to other living things - pretty simple really.  At least yyou have the right to trap or shoot if they are a danger.  You should try and trap him and have it re-located. 

As I've said before, we have Fishers and they are really dangerous.  They cruise the river behind the house and we see them at the back of the property on occasion.  They are "protected" however, and I'm not sure what we could do about it if they really became a problem.  I won't miss them , when we move but hubby and Ihave come face to face with two of them while driving in our car on bird sanctuary and they are just darned scarey!  Good luck with the coyote and I hope you can solve the problem so your kitties will be safe!

Hugs,

Brenda

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Sue Ann,

I also am an animal lover.  We live on a small farm and do at times have a varment problem.  Coyotes are just beginning to show up in the area.  My thought is "I won't bother you if you don't bother me".  When the varments begin to come around my chickens, rabbits etc., they have to go.  My husband had to shoot a possum last week.  If he had been minding his own business, everything would have been fine.  However, he was at the chicken house.  Also, remember that when a wild animal loses its fear of man, that is when it becomes dangerous.

Sue Ann, Every state has country Fish and Wildlife departments  Sometimes they are under Fish and Game in the phone book....that's part of their job, to help you out when the wildlife get too cumbersome.

when I was a kid and perhaps still if dogs came on the property and went after the cows they did get shot.  They are doing what comes naturally however a domestic dog has a supposedly doemesticated owner that knows better...and it is the owners fault if the dog is out and causing trouble.

We had a dog we had to put down because he had found a way off the property and was chasing the cows of our neighbor.  But worse he had teamed up with some other uncontrolled dogs and as a pack they went after the cows.  This always spells DISASTOR

We knew what was coming if we didn't take care of our end first.  Once a domesticated dog gets the feel of running in a pack and worse they attack and kill a cow they are ruined as a domesticated dog.

Broke Ricks heart.  He took Sam on a really good hike,  The way they liked to go...and when they stoped to rest.......He'd already gone the week before and dug a really big hole.....has to be really deep or the coyotes do their thing......

But you can't 'own' a dog that has gotton a taste for fresh meat and pack running.  its very sad.

Our neighbors were so good....they came by with a puppy a few months later.  We hadn't told them what we did, but they didn't see Sam in the pack that did finally attack and kill one of their cows.  They figured out what we had done.  I would rather have not had the wee one, because we were still hurting.  But Rick fixed the fencing and I thought the folks were very kind with their gesture.  And life rolls on.

A lot of dog owners in the rural areas who haven't been in rural areas very long and don't know how the ebb and flow of life goes think it is fine to let their dogs run....because "it's the wilderness...." It can cause real problems.

Poor Sue Ann

I hope you get your problem straightened out.  Its distressing when wildlife and domestic life intertwine in unsafe manners.

sigh.....

hugs

dilu

Board footer