Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

asthehind Posts: 19

Hello all, I'm trying some experiments with shading my creations (yes I have read the relevant library section!) but I'm hoping someone could give me some step by step instructions for using chalk pastels? So far I've used a cheap eyeshadow pallette, and I really like the way it looks and applies. But I am a bit concerned about how long it'll last, hence buying the pastels. I understand you need to 'set' the colour? I read about using babywipes to wipe off any excess, and using a hairdrier to dry it on. What do I need to use for pastels, and potentially makeup? I want the colour to largely be on the fur, but also on felt and the weave of the fabric. I also have some Prismacolour watercolour pencils, but I'm not sure how to use them. Surely you're not supposed to just draw on the fur? I was thinking of rubbing them on some paper and then using a wet paintbrush to pick up the colour and apply it to the bear, and then setting it using a hairdrier. Have I got the right idea here? Any advice would be helpful.

Here are pictures of my first bunny experiments, shaded with makeup.
h2reKm8.jpg
If0u59M.jpg

Board footer