Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I thought that this bit of info may interest those of you who use Flash on your website and auction pages.

And it may interest you all to know that if you 'Restore' your computer to an earlier date you can get around this - the Flash graphics will work as normal. How long this will work for i don't know.......no doubt the clever dickies at Microsoft will get us all in the end!
bear_laugh  bear_tongue  bear_grin
Unfortunately if your visitors to your website/auction don't know about the changes they won't see your Flash graphics working automatically as usual.

Ah Well, all that work then the beggers come along and spoil it  bear_wacko  bear_sad

Penny  :hug:

Perhaps in browsing the web lately you have encountered a new behavior when using your Internet Explorer browser. As you move over Flash, Java Applets or other "objects" you are greeted with a small visual cue stating "Click to activate and use this control" and you will notice an outline surrounding the object.

If it is an active control (like a Flash menu, for instance) you must click the control to "approve" it before the Flash navigation buttons will work.

Microsoft this week delivered a long-awaited update for Internet Explorer 6 that changes the way the browser loads embedded ActiveX controls.

The modification comes as part of an ongoing patent dispute with Eolas Technology and the University of California.

In August 2003, a federal court ruled that Microsoft had infringed on a patent related to plug-in technology used in Internet Explorer.

Eolas was awarded $521 million in damages, which has ballooned to $560 million due to interest.

In response, Microsoft said it would alter how the browser implemented ActiveX, but later backed away from the switch. Software affected by the patent would include Macromedia Flash, QuickTime, RealOne Player, Acrobat Reader, Sun's Java Virtual Machine, and Windows Media Player among other applications that embed into Web pages.

But following two legal setbacks in its efforts to invalidate the Eolas patent and have the ruling appealed, Microsoft said in December it would go ahead with the update.

"Plug-ins" include objects like Flash movies and Java Applets, as well as any other components that use the EMBED, APPLET, or OBJECT HTML tags.

With the update, ActiveX controls will no longer be activated by default. The change in IE forces users to first click on the control before it will recognize any input.

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Ugghh...   Just when the internet was getting fun and multimedia was more than a movie that took 10 minutes to load.   

No fun.    Firefox anyone??

hugs,
nt

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I just tried Firefox Nancy and did'nt like it that much so have gone back to IE - it's much faster.
I'll just have to get used to the new way of things i suppose but it will be a pain having to click on everything!

Penny  bear_flower

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

How long ago did you try Firefox Penny?  It's actually faster than IE now (the browser still loads slower but once you're in there it's way faster)especially if you download the faster firefox enhancement.

Board footer