Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

bear_grin   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:   bear_thumb

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Poor you Kimberly - ignore them, they obviously have a problem with competition. Maybe they are scared that someone will make better mices than them - but that's not your problem is it?

Mice are not copywrite and as for stories with bears/mice etc...................i always used to write stories to go with my bears, i only stopped doing it due to lack of time and loads of other people do it too.

Make more mice  bear_tongue  :dance:  :hug:

Penny  bear_wub

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Kimberley...this guy is a weirdo....my husband wouldn't email anyone on my behalf...and I wouldn't ask him to...so she sounds like a mouse herself. Funnily enough I do believe the artist knows nothing about this.  I feel for her too.
I believe strongly that people who make these copying allegations should be very sure of their facts since as wrong as it is to copy...it's equally wrong to accuse someone of doing something a/ without concrete proof and b/ in such a way that it wrongly discredits the person in the eyes of others.

Rise above it....and maybe it's worth saying that mice were not designed by the hand of any man, and while I accept that the concept of a story book auction page may be unique to this artist and maybe worth bearing in mind when designing an auction page..story-book mice are definitely not original these days....

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

a few thoughts came to mind & I see I am not alone in thinking some of them:

1. what's with the husband flaming people on her behalf? sheesh.

2. his wife is clearly Walt Disney. who else would get this bent out of shape over a mouse?

3. it's a good thing I make rats, so I slip under his radar!  :crackup:

4. I do really want to make a mouse now, to see if I get "The Email" too! :twisted:

nettie scotland
Website

I just hope ****** got permission from The Beatrix Potter society before she did her moose!!!,also I do feel it only fair to check with The Burns society too. .It sounds like this woman is a "wee sleekit cowering timerous beasty,who does have a panic in her breastie!"My apologies to all non Burns fans who haven't got a scoobie what I am on aboot!!!!
You have to learn to laugh at these people.There is a heck of a lot of copying going on, but a mouse with a story was original maybe a few hundred years ago but certainly not now.He is a fine wee critter so don't let this nonsense put you off.Keep going as you are and ignore these numpties.Any big nancy boy that cares enought to e-mail you obviously has problems.Tell him to get out and cut his grass or something a bit more productive!!!
Hugs Diane xxxx

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Which day will we auction our mice ? :crackup:
Oh dear Kim, when I saw Morris, your mouse, I really thought (and still think of course -not easy writing in English-) he is truly unique ! 
And so much people write little story about their creations in their auctions !

What is sad is even we all know this man is all wrong, it's always disturbing to receive such an ugly mail :(.
Lots of hugs Kim !

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Count me in for the mouse & story listing.
Just give me a little time I have to design a pattern.
We really have to mess with that person to show him the teddy community sticks together.
That was so rude to leave an email like that after all the hard work you put into your mouse & thinking of such a creative listing. Who cares if you weren't the first artist that wrote a story. What about all the artist that list as if the bear was talking, or the ones that act like it's their baby looking for a new home. I mean come on what a freaking idiot that guy is, some people really need a good slap up side their head.   :twisted:

Glacierbaybears Glacier Bay Bears
Japan

Erin, that can is too funny! :crackup:  :crackup:  so if we are going to all make mice and sell them at the same time, should we needle felt them?

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Heck NO!!.......You did NOT deserve this!  Your mouse is in no way a copy of anyone else's work, and neither is the story book auction. :hug:  :hug: :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: 

What a fruitcake sending you an email like that.......the JERK! bear_angry  I'm liking this idea of flooding ebay with mouse auctions for this guy and his wife..........too funny!! :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

That's about as ludicrous as saying there is only one mouse in the world. Look how many bears and bearstyles we have all created.
By the way your mouse is adorable. Loved the Friends picture.
Kathy

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

some people just have too much time on their hands, and feel that the internet allows them the freedom to bash others because they feel like it is somewhat anonoymous. which is totally unfair. and i have had situations like this one happen to me too. as upsetting as it is, just leave it be now that you have responded. people like that feed off the negativity generated by their attacks. you certainly did nothing wrong, and morris is totally adorable by the way.

hugs!! teresa

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Oh, I love your little mouse!!  Don't stop making them.

I would be in for a little mouse invasion on ebay, too.  I am not very good with stories though.  I may ask my son for some help on that, he has a very good imagination and a quirky sense of humor......could be interesting.  bear_original

Joan

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Oh Kim, I can only agree with everything that has been said. I to remember the previous attempt of this guy and immediately though 'not again'. Is there no way of reporting abusive people to ebay and have him thrown out?
Your mouse is adorable. Don't let this stop you from making them!

Mouse invasion of the ebay kind :crackup:  :crackup: I don't sell on ebay, but I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Oooh count me in for the Mouse Invasion. I've been wanting to make one anyway!

Eileen

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

You guys are hilarious and great!!!!!  I will make another mouse, story and all!

I recieved a reply from the husband of the maker of the supposedly copied mouse auction.  I will submit this as neutrally as possible, not wanting to assume anything....

All names, again, have been omitted.  I have only one question, Why did he ask me for my auction to see if I did indeed infringe on copyrighted material?????  Helloooooooo!!!!
Kimberly, **** is out of town due to a family members illness and I am her husband *****, I have been handling loading her auctions and answering her emails while she has been gone. When she is here I handle the business end of her company. **** would more then likely know, but I don't, who this ebayer is that wrote to you. I am surprised you have never seen ****'s work she lists almost every week in the featured artist listing area, she sells under ****** and always offers a storytime animal, mostly a mouse or a bear, the *** was something brand new. ****'s work and selling concept was copyrighted and is protected by law. She has been on ebay a very long time and developed the Storytime way of selling, that is why she got a copyright to ensure her collectors were getting something unique. If you give me your auction number I can look at it and see if there is copyright infringment, even if this looks like there is, if it's a one time thing, we never proceed legally, because of the cost of the lawyers. **** will be home on Friday I will alert her to your email. Thank you so much for writing I know **** will feel bad that one of her collectors wrote to you, she is such a sweet person.

My reply:
Hello *****,

Thank you for your response.  If you would like to visit my auction you can eBay search my eBay name, nimblykimbly.  I can assure you that it is not copyright infringement, no where do I mention Storytime or anything of that nature.  Surely you do not have a copyright on telling a story about a mouse in an eBay auction?  If you do, I have bad news for you; a lot of people do it! lol

The person who emailed me is union*proud and I was very offended by his slanderous attitude.  I have never tried to copy anyone, and wouldn't ever try to. 

No, I'm sorry, I don't know who your wife is; I recognize her bears now that I have seen them and the mice and trap, but did not know her art by her name or anything, and have never heard of Storytime.  I'm sure she sells lovely creations, but I haven't noticed her stand out on eBay; I'm sorry.  I also don't feel that my mouse, in any way, resembles her mice... I'm sure she has been on eBay a very long time, and I don't doubt that she is a very nice lady, but her 'supporter' is only going to give her a bad name by doing what they did.  I am not the only one who has experienced an email from that same person, and I can assure you that it is known among bear artists and collectors what they have done.  I couldn't care less if union*proud is a big time bear collector; if they have an attitude like that, I'd rather not have their business anyway.  Here is the email they sent and my response to them:

and it goes on, blah blah blah..... 

Kimberly W.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Oh kimberly i really feel for you.

Ive been on the other end of a vicious verbal attack from a nutter on ebay.
Who demanded i remove a bear id made because he wasnt happy with the name.

BUT THE EMAILS CONTINUED ...I REPORTED HIM TO EBAY IN THE END... AS KNOWONE IS SUPPOSED TO THREATEN VIA THE EMAIL SYSTEM ON EBAY.

Ebay can ban users doing this.

Kimberly I would take no notice and make lots more mouses in different colours and styles  :hug:

Darren Ellerton Jac-Q-Lyn Bears
England

Hello Kimberly,

I just took a quick peek at Morris on eBay, I would like to compliment you on the effort you have put in your listing.  It is a shame that people do not take the time to email to say "well done" instead of putting so much effort into picking fault, to me it seems as if they have nothing better to do with their time, perhaps he has had a row with his wife!!!!  and taken it out on you.
Just ignore and press delete, don't waste your brain power on him, it's not worth it. bear_wacko

Kind regards
Darren bear_grin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Some people have nothing better to do than bully others through emails.  Cowards is what they are.  You have done nothing wrong, Kim.  Your mouse is adorable!  Keep on making them. bear_wub ..and tell as many stories about them as you like. bear_thumb

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Hi Everyone- i should be getting ready for work but TT has distracted me.

Please remember there are allot of people out there that have too much time on their hands and don't know how to put it to good use -  There is a syndrome out there and it is pretty bad- Middle aged husbands that have too much time on their hands - this sydnrome has changed over the last few years as it use to be a female thing - middle aged women with too much time on their hands.   

Also please do not make it mouse challenge - make it a challenge to encourage others in some small way.

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana

*SHRIEK*  Horrid man!  ..and the artist's husband is a little strange also.  [rolls eyes]  Kim, Morris is darling, shake off their nasty dust, and I'll loan you my 100 foot tall walkin' shoes---they also double as stompin' shoes when need be!

=)

Hugs,

Amelia

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

I absolutely love the creations behind the artist who writes the stories in her listings.  But I totally agree that this guy is going to hurt her reputation in the long run. He should be worried about this artist getting made at him for writing the rude emails, instead of worrying if someone is copying her listing lay out.
I would actually be honored if someone liked what I did so much, that they wanted to do something similar & added their own unique twist to it.

The husband should be contacting that guy to tell him to not to harass any more artist with this nonsense, instead of asking to see the listing for copyright infringements.
Their acting like you stole her mouse pattern.

Don't get me wrong, I know Kim never even seen the mouse & story listing before. I'm just adding my 3 cents into the mix about doing something similar & adding your own twist to it.

Ft. Bragg, NC

You are all so sweet. Thank you endlessly for being so supportive  :hug: 

I will continue to make my littl emice, no matter what either union*proud OR the seller's husband says.  They would have a ver hard time taking me to court on the issue.  Oh well.

Also, I really was kind of turned off by all of this... Not turned off of mouse making, but turned off of people ludicrous assumptions.  I know I'm a good person; I don't try to sly around talking smack about people's work, and I certainly am in favor of ANYONE trying something new.

Oh, and just to mention a very nice part of all of this:  I HAVE received many emails from people saying VERY nice things about Morris!  My most shoking email was that Nancy B emailed me!  I admire her to no end!  If you aren't familiar with her, she's the one who does the needle felted opossums.  And SUCH a nice lady!  Well, if I turned her head, I must be doing SOMETHING right! bear_original bear_original bear_original

Kimberly W.

Ft. Bragg, NC

P.S. Lovebud,  I didn't think you thought I was secretly copying. bear_original  I didn't too much like the reply from the husband, but I tried to be polite and civil anyway.  I'm not out to be a jerk like the one who emailed me.

One thing, this person who emailed me the hate mail; How did they know that I or Nancy weren't friends with Jodi?  It would have been completely out of line for them to have emailed a friend of hers.  This emailer seems to know a little too much.  I dunno about the rest of you, but I doubt my collectors know who all of my friends are let alone email a fellow artist and slander them.  It seems a bit fishy to me that this person seems to have a personal vendetta.... I dunno.....  bear_wacko

Kimberly W.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Kimberely,

So sorry to hear about this person being so nasty and unkind - what a bully. Did you report him?
Keep making your lovely mice and continue writing a story about them -it is a free world.
Best wishes and have fun making a lot more mice!

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kim, my guess is the husband isn't aware of what exactly the copyright really is.  My hubby doesn't really know much about my bears, and I think maybe he's just covering things to relate to Jodi, so she knows about it.   So don't think too negatively about him, until you hear from Jodi, which I'm sure you will. 

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer