Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

This afternoon, we were visiting a nice garden when Malko found this adorable baby in the grass...

bbhrisson19pb.jpg

bbhrisson22uq.jpg

bbhrisson31xc.jpg

bbhrisson40xu.jpg

Isn't this baby hedgehog the cutest ever. He was first a bit shy and did not move a lot, but when I began to take pictures he was beginning to turn around in Malko's hand... Probably getting impatient to go back in the grass!!!

This can give you ideas for new furry friends to make...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Oh Sophie,

How absolutely adorable!! Thank you for sharing your photos.  :photo:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Love Hedgehogs!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Sophie thanks so much for sharing those wonderful hedgehog photos!  I love them so much!  bear_wub  bear_smile  bear_wub

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Awwww...what a cute little 'hog...of the hedge type!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
Awwww! And to think that here people pay money to BUY them as pets!!!

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Love it!!!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

ACK - that baby is adorable!  I want one!!  Thanks much for taking the photos, Sophie, and sharing them with us!

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

I love that baby hedge hog !
I want 2 little baby girl hedge hogs sooo bad!
That was nice you let her go, I would have wanted to keep her.  bear_wub

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub Ooooh....that's the cutest little critter ever!  I didn't know people raise them and buy them as pets in the US.  How did I miss that one? bear_wacko

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh he is adorable! So small and so cute!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh, I've never seen a real one - he looks adorable.  They are just wild over there?  You're so lucky.  I'll trade you my snapping turtle for your hedgehog LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

wow....I never knew that there were no wild hedgehogs in America....guess it's just one of those things I assumed had made it everywhere. 

I love hedgies - they have the sweetest little faces.  The are also incredibly noisy...I often hear them in the middle of the night snuffling around in the garden.  Thanks for sharing your photos Sohpie

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I am pleased you enjoy these pictures...

First I had no idea that in some countires hedgehogs were sold as pets! Poor little darlings...

In France, there are many wild hedgehogs, and unfortunatelly, we find far too many of them died on the roads while trying to cross them.

My parents often find some in their garden.

This baby hedgehog Malko found in this nice garden was probably by his own as he did not see the mother or any other in the vicinity. I was not closeby when he picked him up, as I was busy taking pictures of flowers. He said me than when he picked him up, the hedgehog first curled up and only the end of his nose and his legs were visible! Then Malko put his finger near his nose and after a moment, the hedgehog got too curious to investigate what this strange smell was, so he finally uncurled and began to watch around.
This babe was not that prickly, according to Malko: he said that was fine when we are careful but he would not have take an adult hadgehog in his hands though, first because he feared the hedgehog would bite him (their teeth are razor sharp) and second because he would have been too prickly (thinner prickles than babes)!!!

The owner of the private garden we where visiting told us that the dog of his neighbours uses to catch the numerous hedgehogs he finds and bring them to him, but does not kill them. So the man just frees them in the garden. This dog, a golden retriever, is an excellent mole killer and uses to bring the moles he killed to the owner of the garden too. This dog, the nicest boy ever, is not loved at all by his owners (they give him enough food etc but consider him as a thing) so he is always wandering around where he gets the love he deserves from his neighbours and the people who visit the garden. And as you understood, he takes a good care of the garden preventing it against the moles!!!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

We have a family of hegdehogs in our garden, this year there are two babies. They live in the undergrowth at the far end of the garden. The dogs just ignore the and they stay away when we try and get close so no photographs I'm afraid. Every night they come out to find food so I put down pet food for them, like canned dog food and fresh water. We have a rescue home here in England called Tiggywinkles, I enquired what food I could put out for the hoggies and they told me not to give them bread or milk as this doesn't suit them. When I worked at a school for children with special need Tiggywinkles came and bought many little animals for the children to see, I especially love the albino hedgehog.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh he is adorable Sophie!!!  I so want one  bear_wub  bear_wub   I wish we had cutsie animals here like chipmunks and hedgehogs bear_sad  Not that we don't have cutsie animals  bear_happy
xo Sarah

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original What a beautiful little creature, Sophie! Thanks :hug:

There are no hedgehogs here in Canada, outside the pet stores, but we are awash in raccoons and skunks and possums and foxes.

I heard a row outside the other night, and ran into the garden to find Bear (my Border Collie) running around with a large raccoon wrapped tightly around his head. Both were howling and whimpering, but both got away without any damage--I just hope Bear will leave them alone from now on!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Eileen... what a sight that must have been!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

wowza $300 for a hedgehog!!! 

Like Sophie said - the are car fodder far too often here too.  They are also susceptible to mange and seeing them in the daytime here often will indicate that they are unwell. 

Renae....you'll probably like this sotry.  A couple of years ago a friend and I went to the wildlife park on New Year's day  It's the middle of summer here and there was a hot nor'wester wind and so lots of the animals were snoozing.  We went past an exhibit of crested porcupines and the keeper told us that because it was so hot and they are nocturnal that our best chances of seeing them would be to look through the viewing window into their sleeping quarters.  So we walk round the back and it was so glarey and we have our noses pressed against the glass looking for some little spikey things and both of us are going "i don't see anything do you?" and then both at the same time about 30 seconds later we both jumped - right in front of us pressed agains the glass, deep asleep were two HUGE porcupines - our eyes had been so focused looking for something small that we simply didn't see them - these guys were huge - maybe about 1 metres long with ginormous quills.  I'm sure the keeper was falling about laughing at us.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

When living in NZ I risked my life for a hedgehog. While walking home from work one afternoon I saw ahead of me a hedgehog crossing the road and then this car came around the corner and before I knew what I had done, I was in the middle of the road standing over this rather large critter. Thank goodness the driver stopped. I helped the critter across the road. Then went into shock.  bear_wacko
I had some living in my garden and loved sitting on the back step at sundown and watching them hunt in the garden.  bear_wub
Wendy

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Ohhhhh how cute :hug:

Board footer