Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

K Pawz Guest

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you other canadians have found a solution for the high shipping costs that we have to pay through Canada Post, is there another option???

Hugs,
Krista

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh boy do I hear you!

I wish I had the answer. It seems so unfair. I get packages in the mail from the US and I just die when I see how little it cost them to send it.

This is also one of my biggest delemma's. Shipping. Do you secretly add the cost into the bear? Or do you hope that $20+ shipping will ok with the buyer??

I'm sure some understand, but it's still a high cost.

I hope someone out there has a solution.

Good question!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I totally agree. We have what I think is average costs to the US and Canada but International is another story. The least we pay Internationally for a small package is $27.05 and then it goes to 43.05 then 81.00 nothing in between. It is outrageous! We have no options for International packages either. Small packet with a $100.00 maximum insurance. I hear you and I have tried to do something about it but this Canada Post we are dealing with.

Many Hugs Louise

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Krista, I hear ya !  I always want to apologize to my collectors about the shipping costs.  Once thing I do on my auctions is always list a few shipping choices ( air/surface/Expedited/Express)  and let them decide(I always highly reccomend Exped. or Xpress.)   Almost, without exception, they choose Express with full insurance and never seem to complain about the cost ?  Keep in mind that most of my bears are 6-10 inches so the boxes are small and light.

Actually I had a buyer in Texas last week who was willing to pay $100US to get a bear there next day. I was in shock.  It only ended up costing $52 and I sent it Wed 1pm and it arrived 9am the next morning.  WOW !

Now international is a pain price wise and insurance wise.  I have to admit though that so far....knock on wood ... most of my international packages have been delivered in 7-10 with days no problems.   

So maybe the costs aren't as much of an issue as we think  bear_ermm .    I have checked with UPS and they aren't any better.   However, it would be nice to have lower prices regardless.

I also ordered business cards from California that arrived yesterday.  The order was for $25 for a SMALL box, they chargwed me shipping $25 GROUND and on top of that I got charged $20 for customs fees !  Sheesh, maybe the US prices aren't any better  bear_wacko

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh my Tammy, those are some expensive business cards!
Customs makes me want to scream! They take waaay too much money.

Louise, I had no idea international shipping was that much. That's crazy.

K Pawz Guest

I Know it is brutal, I have just been looking into shipping costs to Australia and England and it is brutal....

Krista

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Ya .... Louise ... I hear you. I remember when I would send my paintings over the boarder I had a very big bill with Canada post. It is really scary. Oh, for those of you that don't know I am Canadian.  Short version -Married an American Cowboy - which brings me here to the USA. Louise and I could have played lawn tag three years back.  I lived very close to her in Two Hills Alberta.  bear_original
Anyway. It is way to costly. I send stuff to my family and it costs way too much. Heather What was the cost? I would love to know how they are sending it? It always robbery when I sent packages to Canada.
Good for you Louise. I really respect someone who stands up and does something about it. I believe one can be nice but speak the truth.

hugs kassie

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Not too much we can do about it - but it is extreemly annoying.  I am thinking of having a mini show on my web site in a month or so, and thought that I would offer a discount on the postage if the bear is purchased in the first week of the show - not too sure just yet what the amount would be, but I'm thinking about it.

Jane P.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

This is one case where it pays to make mini bears! Shipping on items under 250g is quite reasonable both to the US and International - $5.95 - $7.30 - the rates only get crazy when you have a heavier or larger parcel.
The same is true when shipping from the States to Canada - their letterpost rate for small parcels is even cheaper than ours and can be as low as a couple of dollars by air. That is what really ticks me off when I have to pay $15 or more for postage on a parcel from the US and when it gets here it only cost them 2 or 3 dollars to mail it - a lot of people don't seem to know that US letterpost is not just for letters (wish they would just call it something else and that would save the confusion!) I had quite a "discussion" with one lady trying to convince her that she could send my parcel that way for a couple dollars but she kept saying how could it possibly be cheaper to mail it to Canada than within the US. She finally agreed to try and charged me $3.95 and sure enough it was only about $2.00. We have the same problem here in Canada as the small packet rates are not for within the country - I can actually mail a small parcel to Australia cheaper than I can to Calgary which is 2 hours away! The only problem with our small packet rate and the US letterpost rate is that there is no tracking on it so not so good if you are sending an expensive item - although ours does have $100 insurance included.
Anyway, when it comes to the Post Office I don't think we can do much but complain *grin*
Bear hugs, Edie

Board footer