Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I've saved this on my computer a long time ago.

I am really passionate about people taking good care of their animals. All too many pets are considered mere possessions   and not living feeling things.

I know many of you here also feel that way, so I thought you'd enjoy this.

My family brought me home one day, cradled in their arms.
They cuddled me and smiled at me, and said I was full of charm.
They played with me and laughed with me, they showered me with toys.

I sure do love my family, especially the girls and boys.
The children loved to feed me, they gave me special treats.
They even let me sleep with them, all snuggled in the sheets.

I used to go for walks, often several times a day.
They even fought to hold my leash, I'm very proud to say.
These are things I'll never forget, a cherished memory.

I now live in a shelter, without my family.

They used to laugh and praise me when I played with that old shoe.
But I didn't know the difference between the olds ones and the new.
The kids and I would grab a rag, for hours we would tug.

So I thought I did the right thing when I chewed the bathroom rug.
They said that I was out of control and would have to go outside.
This I did not understand, although I tried and tried.

The walks stopped one buy one, they said they hadn't time.
I wish that I could change things, I wish I knew my crime.
My life became soo lonely, in the backyard on a chain.

I barked and barked, to keep from going insane.
So they brought me to a shelter, but were embarrassed to say why.
They said I caused an allergy, and then kissed me goodbye.

If I'd only had some classes as a little pup.
I wouldn't have been too hard to handle when I was all grown up.
"You only one day left" I heard the worker say.

Does this mean I have a second chance? Do I go home today?

-Anonymous

K Pawz Guest

bear_cry  bear_cry OH Thank you Heather for posting this, it is so sad, but the worst of it is that it is so very true...that is the part that makes me cry...people actually do this, I see it almost every day...

Thanks again for posting this Heather. :hug:

Bear hugs,
Krista

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry That is so sad....and so very unfortunately true!!  This does happen far too often.  People just don't always think ahead past that cute puppy or kitten stage, and then don't want to 'deal' with their pet any longer.  I know there are some instances when there really is a problem, but most of the time it's just not true. bear_cry

There is a dog in town that I drive by every day, and every time I see him I get upset.  bear_cry  bear_cry  He's an English Mastiff, like my beloved Golly, and is kept outside on a huge chain attached to a hitch on a truck.  No dog house......he has to find shelter under that truck.  Yesterday it was hot, and I saw him back there panting for all he's worth.  The thing is, Mastiffs don't do well with either extreme heat or cold.  Or being ostrasized to the back yard.  They need close human contact, or they are severly injured emotionally.  Mastiffs are house dogs!!!  Bred to guard the manor and it's inhabitants!!

This poor dog has become rather aggressive.......and it is the fault of his humans who cruelly put him out on a chain. bear_angry Prossibly because they were not prepared for the reality of a 200 pound dog in their home.  This happens a lot with the large dog breeds. There is no agency in Iowa that really would do anything in this case.....especially since the owners do feed him regularly......so I can't turn them in to anyone.  I wish I could.....or could just take him off that chain and bring him into my home bear_cry ............

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

We've been through a lot with out older dog and I threatened to give him up more than once.
But is really wasn't his fault.... I needed the training classes!!!

I think it should be mandatory that anyone wanting to own a pet should have to take a class first, before getting the animal... be it adoption or buying a pup. Hey, you take child-birthing classes and driver's ed. Sure, you can say a human's life is more valuable than a pet's but we are all living, breathing, feeling things and should be treated with equal respect.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

We've been through a lot with our older dog and I threatened to give him up more than once.
But is really wasn't his fault.... I needed the training classes!!!

I think it should be mandatory that anyone wanting to own a pet should have to take a class first, before getting the animal... be it adoption or buying a pup. Hey, you take child-birthing classes and driver's ed. Sure, you can say a human's life is more valuable than a pet's but we are all living, breathing, feeling things and should be treated with equal respect.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

One of my Boston boys, who are now 8, was poorly trained as a pup - which is completely my own fault. I spoilt him rotten, never chastised him, and worst of all - didn't crate him! Now whenever he's left alone - he pees! His brother who came to us when he was 1 yr old has no problems at all like this. I would never consider giving either of them up because for the most case - any problems a dog has is because of his owner.

Marion

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Dear Heather,
Thanks for that, poor animals don't have a voice.. so many of them are treated terribly. Our cat Jasper came was born in an RSPCA shelter and was so tiny when we adopted her, now she is the ruler of the house... let me in...let me out...feed me... scratch me here... who is the boss??
bear_rolleyes Cheers Susan

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh Heather, I have seen that before and it is so sad.
But it is so true, that happens somewhere everyday.  bear_sad

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

Thats is so sad!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
I volunteer at a shelter and I feel for the dogs that get surrended.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

I want to thank you too Heather. It is so sad and true how ( some  ) people think of animals as property or the week's toy. We had ( he is not with us anymore..he is  running free and happy in doggy Heaven! ) a beautiful German Shepherd ( Oso ) that was given to us by a neighbor that said he was sooo bad!! He was keep in the back yard all the time and they say it did dig and took cloths from the line.. They were going to put him to sleep. We took him! ...He was such a good dog!! Never did nothing wrong  with us but, he had to be put to sleep early in his life because he had  Cancer in his neck cause, for what the vet told us, by the tight chain he was always tight with when he was with them. We gave him a few years of happiness and he was an inside dog, for us is the only way.They are part of the family!! Then, when we lost him, we went to a German Shepherd rescued center, we wanted one and came home with two!! A beautiful black one ( 14 months old ) that the lady that got him did not know nothing about the breed, got him as a puppy. He started growing, like they should... and she lived in a tiny apartment ( he was more that 100 pounds). The other  was all white, the most beautiful German Shepherd I had ever seeing! Our son that went with us, was the one who told me Mom, look at that beautiful dog!! When I looked, he was hiding inside the kennels dog's  house the lady that was in charge told me Oh!.. please take him..He is so sweet and he have been so abuse he was only 10 month old!! ) he does not have teeth on part of his mouth because his owner knocked them off ! She went in a took him out and I told her if I could go in and when I did  and ped him...He was sooooooooooo scare!! We took him too!! To make a long happy story short, after loving him for one year he was happy and trusting. We had to put him down when he was 13 years old ( 115 pounds of happy dog!! ) but, he had Cancer in his bones. The vet told us, it was like a miracle that he was not in a lot of pain but, he started to just cry softly  and it would had been very hard for him, from that point on and even if we cry, it was time to let him go. I think that to get a pet from a shelter is the best thing  people can do, they have so much love to give!! Now I have two German S. ( sisters ) and a Cocker Spaniel that we found in the streets and two cats that a were born by the side of our garage and left by the Mom.
I am glad that so many people think like us about pets, they are part of the family and defenetly no "things" that you own.
Have a nice night.
Gladys

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry my goodness your a bugga for posting that bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry ya bugga bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
Its terribly upsetting bear_cry

sheilad Posts: 3

Hi everyone,I've never posted before but just had to after reading this.It made me cry too - and cry and cry.I have an old mutt I got from the pound six years ago and believe me he's been worth much more than his weight in gold through some very rough times.On the up side there's an absolutely wonderful lady in my home town who runs a private charity for abused and abandoned cats and dogs.It's called "Flora's Pet Project" and she has a web site to find homes for all the at last fortunate animals she has rescued.The money she's spent on vet bills would blow you away and she's currently housing a very sweet blind Llasa Apso and a three legged Miniature Schnauser among others.I'm not very good at making bears but I'm in the process of making a three bear miniature tableau as a gift for her called "Flora's Fan Club".

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Welcome sheilad ! Nice to hear from you!

It makes me very happy that I'm not the only one who cares. It's soo easy to feel that way.

I'm delited to see how manyof you have also rescued animals. It's all the little things that make a big difference.

You guys have touched me with your support,

Wendy...............I'm sorry......... bear_innocent

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Heather,

I wish what you said and that poem weren't true, but I know they are.  I don't understand how people can be so mean.  Pets are totally dependant on their family.  My mom has 2 rescue dogs and they are the best dogs.  I want to adopt some rescue dogs when we get a house.

Board footer