Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I got a very good reminder yesterday. Life has gotten very busy lately. Yesterday David and I took the motorcycle to Lake George for Americade one of the largest, if not the largest, motorcycle rallies in the US. We left home at 8:00 AM on Wednesday and travelled South into the Adirondack Park. Being on a motorcycle (and not driving) allows for a much nicer view of what is around. I have lived in New York State my whole life, and was reminded and amazed about why I love living in the Northern reaches of the state.

We started out in the coolness of the early morning sunshine. I began to relax as we traveled south, and started to look around. It is so nice being in the open and able to see all around without blind spots because of dirty windows, or window frames. As we went around each curve, the new sights were wonderful. There was the one where I looked to one side and saw open field with some water and mud, basically a bog. Another where I looked in front and saw the mountians one after the other, gaining in height. As I watched the side of the road, looked at the thick woods, I couldn't help but think about all the wild animals that live there. How do get through the woods that I can barely see into? Then the wide expanse of the lakes.......calm, empty (no boats) and peaceful. As I looked harder, I could see the birds soaring overhead, Bald Eagles and Osprey, as well as the common Crows and Ravens. The crows and Ravens amaze me in the way they can still fly even when some of their wing feathers are missing. (I have to say that for the 150 miles we drove from home to Lake George, we were on main roads through the mountains, by no means a highway! We went through 4 towns, 3 traffic lights....... about 20 miles on the Interstate.) I saw a couple of Woodchucks, Turkeys and chipmunks. Fortunately the larger animals stayed in the woods!

We had a good time in Lake George, checking out all the vendor booths and making some purchases. The main focus was to get new tires for the bike, which we did as well as new rear brakes. I got new deerskin gloves for riding and a new shirt. David bought other stuff for the bike. Things were going great until mid-day when the rain started. And it rained, and rained! So, we went to the indoor area and purchased new rain suits (neither one of us have one any more....it has been about 20 years since we rode bikes) 6:00 PM the bike was done, so we donned the rain suits and started the long 3 hour drive home. Wet, cold....not the best for riding a bike. Then we got off the interstate. Once again the beauty of the area hit me. Even though it was getting dark and it was raining, the mountains still looked so beautiful. Some mountain tops completely covered by clouds, others with fingers of clouds coming from the mountain tops. We made 2 stops for gas, and 1 for dinner and finally arrived home at 11:00 PM. The rain stopped about 1/2 way home, and it looked like no rain at the house! The moon even came out.  Our dog was VERY happy to see us, and I was glad to get off the bike and stretch the legs....and get warm and dry!

Trying to look into the woods, following the roads that curved everywhere, not a straight stretch for more than 1 mile, made me think about the Native American Indians, the explorers and settlers that came to the area.....how did they ever find there way, or even think that here was a place they could settle?

If there is anyone, anywhere that is looking for a "secluded' vacation spot, try the Adirondacks. There are a few bustling towns, but lots of nature, beauty and solitude. This is truly God's Country......

Thanks for letting me share..... Sorry there are no pictures. Didn't take the camera, and I don't think I would do the scenery justice....
pandamac

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Sounds wonderful, sometimes in the hustle and bustle we forget to just be.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Dear Ellen,
  Oh that sounds glorious!   Thanks for sharing!  As for no pictures.... well, sometimes those mental pictures as well as remembering the quiet feelings and beauty of nature are worth so much more, aren't they? 

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Ellen--thanks for bringing it all back!! bear_wub

I grew up spending summers all around that area, and LOVE it!

Of course, I didn't get to enjoy the scenery from the back of a motorcycle, but when we were travelling through the mountains my sisters and I used to watch the scenery through binoculars--it's a different kind of thrill, because you seem to be crashing into hills and falling off cliffs!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Sounds like you had a wonderful, refreshing, nourishing adventure for the soul/psyche, Ellen.  How important those are . . . the longer you live!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Your eloquence brought the pictures to life.  Just beautiful.  Thank you.  bear_flower

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

ooooo I can smell the fresh air!  What a great day you had. bear_flower

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Keep talking Ellen.  You're making me jealous.  I love being out in the "wilds".  Maybe it is my Native American heritage that keeps coming out in me.

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Anytime anyone wants to come smell the "wild"....give me a call!
pandamac

PS......I spent the weekend camping with my Girl Scouts, rain, cold, but oh the fresh air.........

Board footer