Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Black-Forest-02.jpgBlack-Forest-01.jpgHi.  I am pleased to share with you my prototype for a black bear design.  I call this bear BLACK FOREST.

He is 16.5" tall made form Intercal Mohair.

He has hand painted German glass eyes,
A new style of double jointed neck that is different than I have done in the past,
Needle felted muzzle and paws
leather sculpted hand painted nose
Sculpted brow bone and under eye area
Armature
Sculpted and painted claws.
Black-Forest-05.jpg
He will be coming to the San Deigo Bear show in August.

Black-Forest-06.jpg

He is One of a kind as I have decided to tweek his design just a little.

Black-Forest-07.jpg

Black-Forest-08.jpg

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Absolutely fabulous!!!  bear_wub Truly remarkable artistry.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Awesome, Judi!

Gorgeous, fantabulous!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
whiteforestbears wrote:

If he disappears from the San Diego show it wasn't me  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you very much ladies. :pray:   As always, I truly appreciate all of your comments. bear_wub

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Absolutely awesome Judi!! Wonderful work!

Many Hugs Louise

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Judi,
I just loooove your bears, I think you do a wonderful job with them. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

I hope you don't mind my asking ... when you make a double jointed neck, do you use a solid joint between the head and body or do you stuff it? I have seen both done before, but I just wondered which you personally preferred.

Big  :hug:
Sandi

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Judi he is outstanding! awesome and gorgeous!!

I love everythung about him!

Good luck in San Diego!  :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original He's scrumptious, Judi--I love black bears bear_wub

Sandi--what's a solid joint? I've never heard of a solid double joint piece--I thought  they were all stuffed bear_ermm

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

What a bear ! Fantastic job, Judi !  :hug:

Eileen,
I believe Australian artist Monica Spicer, uses a solid joint to do a double jointed neck in some of her bears.
Somewhere amongst my hundreds of magazines she had an article where she used a round piece of wood (dowell I think) angled the ends and as far as I remember she drilled a hole through the middle. Then I think she stuck the mohair over it.
When I find the article I'll let you know which magazine it was in.
:hug:
Sandi

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you all for your comments. bear_wub  :hug:

I wish you could see the eyes more clearly.  They are amber, gold and brown.  They really stand out , yet compliment his black mohair.

Sandi, in the past I have made double jointed necks which consisted of three sections sewn togther to create the neck( two circles and a large trinangluar piece) .  But this time I have made the neck section just ONE piece.  Each end is gathered and I use BIG cotter pins and large hardboard discs at each end of the neck. So , the neck is jointed on both sides, one to the body , one to the head.    I joint it very tightly.

I have tweeked this design on a Grizzly bear that I have just made...but is not quite finished.  I'll post him when he is done.    It is so fun to experiment and push yourself.  You never knwo what you'll discover about yourself this way.

Judi,
Thanks for the info. I have never tried three sections.
When I did Amelia, I used one piece like you did this time, but I used locknuts instead of cotterpins. I find this the easiest to do.
:hug:
Sandi

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Great! You've done a bang-up job on that muzzle. Looks totally real from the side. bear_wub

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Judikins

I think the pictures are better than you thought....I could see some really good shots of the eyes....wow

!

love the design-the neck, unlike some with the double joint, looks great, very believable,

[size=18]BUT[/size]

There is still just the slightest touch of Judiwhimsy there.....especially the last shot....

Too cute and

Very well done!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thank you so much! :pray:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Dilu, I think I like the last photo the best,.  He looks to me like he is trying to pay attention..or is waiting for an answer  like......."Where's the honey, mom?"

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Judi,

Another great bear bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Hugs, Lynn

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Love the black bear!!! Very well done...he looks real. Is the black color harder to work with? Will Black Forrest have relatives? bear_original
Jeannie B

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Again, Thank you. bear_original

Jeannie, the black is only hard to work with when I am sewing at night.  Otherwise it is the same.  I think it can be a bit difficult to photograph, though, as you cannot see shadows on the color black.  I am certain he will have relatives.  Lots of them! bear_thumb

sarahjane Brisbane

Judi ...I never know what to say when I post on your bears they are all just so outstanding that they leave me speechless....I love this one  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Judi girl,
this is another amazing bear!  :clap:  :clap: I really like the neck - that is so cool! Adds some much personality to him. I love the thinking pose-  bear_wub  bear_wub I love them all but that one is just too cute! bear_original  bear_wub  bear_wub those feet are wonderful, the wrinkles on the pads are so great. And there are those toes again. "this little piggy goes to market " song coming to mind again LOL

hugs girlfriend - kassie

hugs kassie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

AWWWEE Thank you. 

Kassie, now you have me singing that piggy song in my head.... my son LOVES that game.

I have a children's book with a part two to the "Little Piggies".  It goes like this:

This little piggy had a rub-a-dub-dub.
This little piggy had a scrubba scrub scrub.
This little piggy ran straight up stairs.
This little piggy called out "bears!".
This little piggy made a loud SLAM-SLAM....
and he ate up all the jam!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks, Sandi--what a great idea! For bigger bears, you could even cut a round of 2x6 or bigger, and graduate the depth. Gotta try it . . .

bear_original Judi, those eyes really do stand out, even in the pix!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks Eileen.  Here is a photo taken outside.  You can see the eyes a bit better.  They are not actually so red like they appear but more brown, sienna, and gold flecked.Black-Forest-outside-01.jpg

Board footer