Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Hi all,
I'm back! Good grief but I missed you all sooo much! BUT the great thing about this forum is that the posts stay here...so I've just spent the last hour and a half reading, drinking coffee and catching up...so really, I don't feel that I've missed anything! Of course if I was to comment on all the topics that I would have...I'd run out of space here (hmm....wonder if there IS a limit on post size like at Edinburgh....Dilu and Shelli must come close sometimes!!!:lol:)
BUT I HAVE to say a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Kirsten...woohoo....so happy for you girl!!! bear_laugh:D:D You must be over the moon with happiness...but no doubt coming down with a thud if you are getting morning sickness. Here's hoping you will be spared!
Also a big welcome to Tammy, Sandi and Deb. Nice to see you here Deb!! And Daph...Deb is from Vermont too....so that makes three of you, not two! Deb was my first ever swap partner and as well as an adorable little white bear called "Hayley"....she sent me some woonderful picture mags of Vermont...and I wanna go there!!!!
I love all the new creations...and Danni, I think we should start a New Creations post every two weeks so everyone is encouraged to show off their latest work...whaddya think?
I had a wonderful week off....did only the most essential washing and cooking and spent the rest of my time bear making, but now my house looks like a war zone (even more than it usually does!) I have tried a heap of new stuff on this bear..so it has taken me an eternity....but it's still not finished so I don't have any show and tell yet. Plus, he's brown, so I'll have to set up a light tent to photograph him well. Today is my last day off work, so I really want to finish him (guess I should get at it then hey?)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Big welcome back, Hayley . . . we've missed you, too!  Wanna see that bear as soon as you have a photo!  What new things did you try on this one??  I'm really looking forward to seeing it!  bear_laugh bear_laugh

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Welcome back Hayley,nice to hear you were able to get your bear almost finished,good job,can't wait to see it.Happy catching up bear_original bear_original bear_happy :lol:
Hugs and blessings,Shari.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yep!  I second that!  There is a kind of hole in the communications when someone regular is gone. 

Glad you had a GOOD WEEK

Glad you are back-but sorry you have to go back to work!!!!

Pay attention all you little wollykin lookyloos- you could be loved and missed too!

So, Hayley we will be waiting with baited breath-oops wrong kind of bated.yikes yuck!- for your next picture!
yay!

Dilyu bear_tongue

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh we missed you Hayley!!!  I can't wait to see your new bear - I'm sure he'll be a stunner like all your other bears!

Good idea on a new New Creations topic every two weeks.  I shall do it as often as a I remember to LOL

Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi Hayley; welcome back.

Can I just add, for everyone's edification, that I just  the other day received the wonderful nose template I ordered from Hayley.  It came in perfect packaging, was quick to ship, and is clearly a very useful tool that I can't wait to test on my next teddy out of the studio.  Give our Miss Hayley some business, you guys!  She deserves it.

(Even put a cute little sticker on my stuff!)

Australia

Thank you, you sweet people...it's so nice to have been missed!
Sue Ann, I tried a double neck joint on this one (flying blind though!) and also the appliqued and stuffed paw pads like Jody uses(which was a challenge on dark mohair!). Learned a valuable lesson on that one...make sure your paw pad will fit BEFORE all the hard work! I measured my footpads like I always do when I was making the pattern..and they always fit perfectly....but not this time! I cut the paw pad in half this time(I wanted to make the lower pad trapuntoed...'cos I'm lazy)..and added the seam allowance to each half. Appliqued the toes onto the top half of the pad and stuffed them, joined the lower half of the pad on, and went to stitch it to the foot. WAY too big!!! Argghhh!!!! So began the proverbial table scenario...trim a bit off this one..try to match up the other one...nightmare plus! Anyway...it all worked out, but took me two hours of fiddling!
Am also trying some lids...but am still playing, trying to decide which kind. I'll also be airbrushing detail on him...but need to wait for my lovely tutor to return from Mickey Mouses house!:D

Australia

Aww..thanks Shelli! I'll have to start paying you commission! I actually found another use for the nose templates when making this bear I'm working on. One shape is almost perfect for a quick ear/applied open mouth template and I also used it to make up the toe pattern for my appliqued toes. You could also use the oval template as a stencil for painting toepads. Multi functional!:D

www.bearcupboard.com

I'm trying to get info for joining my mailing list up by this eveing (just waiting for my webmaster to get home from work..)
but in the meantime, if you'd like to hear of any updates or additions to my catalogue..just email me from the site.:)

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

** WELCOME BACK **  Hayley  :lol::lol:

Can I give you a (( hug  hug hug hug hug hug )) ,
I'm glad you came back. We miss you very deeply extremely much.

I know you are busy lady as Mom and Bear artist,  I admire you :)

Big Hugs/Marie

Australia

Thank you Marie..and ((((((((hugs))))))) back to you too!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hiya Hayley, nice to see you back again. I have just had another look at your website and I love the picture of the two bears on your home page.

Jane.

Australia

Jane,
I missed this one somehow! Thanks so much for your sweet words. The two bears have special ties with me...the brown bear is Anna (named after my daughter) and was the first mohair bear I made from my own design. (the first EVER one, as you may recall from another thread...was ripped apart by my very naughty silky terrier!). The little bear is called Warz and was made by Anna herself when she was only 9 years old..she's 11 now...and he won first in the junior section of a large show. So really, these two bears are where it all began for me, which is why they are my logo. I had a local artist sketch them in pencil so they feature on my business cards as well.
I appreciate you taking the time to tell me how much you like them!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Wow Hayley I will watch this place for the youngest member of Teddy Talk to arrive. Anna is going to be a great artist. If Warz is her first bear I can't wait to see what else that clever girl can make and Warz was made when she was only NINE, WOW! A great little girl you have there Hayley, give her a hug from me.

Jane

Australia

Ooh I agree with Jane.  What a clever bear wiz!!! Is she really into making bears, or is it something that she'll do occassionally?????

Danni

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

So glad you got your daughter interested in making bears at an early age!  I was so old when I discovered bears that my girls were grown, out of the house, and one was married . . . so I have no way of getting them to carry on my passion!! bear_sad bear_sad

Australia

Ted.jpgActually...Warz was a bit of a one hit wonder. He is a very easy pattern for a child as the pieces are all traced onto the mohair, which is then folded in half, and you sew on the lines, just leaving a space for turning. You vut the pieces out then, leaving a 2 mm seam allowance. He had no foot o paw pads...but the ears had to be sewn on by hand and the nose embroidery. He did turn out very cute. The following year, my son decided it was his turn to enter the same comp...so he made 'Ted"..I know, such an original name! All macine pieced the normal way...my son was a couple of years older than Anna so managed the machine okay. He han stitched the entire head gusset and footpads by hand and did a marvellous job. He entered Ted into the show, and won first too...so he was thrilled! However, that's where his 'bearmaking' career began, and ended. He is doing well with sewing at school though, and says it's because he's used to tha machine..so I guess it was a worthwhile exercise.
Anna is bear nut and is my constant shadow when I visit a bear show. Since making Warz, she has been content just to watch me and be my critique...but before these last school holidays, she asked could she have a go at making a bear the 'real' way. She spent $23.00 of her birthday money last year on a piece of mohair (call it peer pressure!) and instructed me that I would make her a bear from it. Well, I said it would have to wait a bit as I had other projects on the go, and it has been in the draw ever since. But over the hols, it came out and she has traced and cut and pieced half on the machine, and hand stitched a whole footpad in (which much to her dismay took a whole hour!!) and now has decided she will enter her bear in the same competeition she won three years ago(she'll be 12 on the 16th of August). So, time will tell as to whether she gets it finished in time. It is lovely to have her love bears so much though...I couldn't think of a better thing to have in common with her.
Here's a pic of Adrian's "Ted".

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Wow! Hayley, Adrian too! Ted is really handsome. Congratulations to Adrian on getting a first with his bears.  Anna, Adrian and Hayley in one house all accomplished bear makers...that's fantastic ...now what about your husband...any chance he can sew?

Jane

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Way to go, Adrian and Anna!!  Good on you, both!! bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Australia

Ohhh your children would have been my Mum's dream!!!  When my sister and I were growing up, we took no interest in trying crafts ourselves.. That was something that "Mum" did LOL  I think she's proud of us now though LOL

What great Kiddies you have Hayley....  Wonder if Anna will still be interested in Bears when she's a teenager.. LOL

Danni

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Wonderful job Adrian and Anna. Looks like Mom has taught you both well. He is lovely!

Hugs Louise

Australia

Well, famous last words! I was telling hubby about this particular thread..and Adrian overheard. Before long, he was sifting thru my mohair stash, and found a lovely piece of blue that Sue Ann 'donated' to me...and now has it cut and ready to sew. Looks like we have some competition in the family.Lol! Two more bearmakers on the go here....I'm doomed never to get back to my own!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Great news, Adrian!!  You go, guy!!

Australia

LOL I like that,

You go, guy!!

Remember Hayley we WANT to see a photo of him when he is finished!
Danni

Australia

No worries Danni. Trouble is...I've just realised if they both enter their bears..they'll be competeing against each other...and that won't be pretty! Still, guess they're better to learn sooner rather than later that there can only be one overall winner.

Board footer