Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

mess up a perfectly good bear head...nice and symmetrical...stitching it nearily perfect...etc., etc., and I go and just screw it up anyway...

I'm ready to throw this bear right out the window......

AUGH!!!!

I may need to have a quiet burial for it!!!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Shantell I'm sorry that your bear-head
didn't come up as your image... after the all hard work bear_cry
but how bad is it ? and is it really that bad as you think !?
Did you show it to someone else !? It may be not bad
as you think, you know ?   bear_tongue 

here is hugs for you... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:   
I really hope you are feeling better today.  :hug:

I too  created the no-good-looking head about
2weeks ago, I was scripting the face area with scissors
and I cut it too much..... I wanted to shave only the nose area but I end up with cutting almost of whole face area.....
my mom said the bear head looks like "Lion King".......
no hear in the face and long hear around the face...  :redface:

I was using KID3 mohair for the bear and I was really shocked
when I found out  I did it too much of scissor scripting. bear_sad
I was lucky to have enough of left over for the mohair
and I think I'll go re-create the head again.  :/

Bear Hugs/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh you two ladies Shantell and Marie! You are not the only ones to have spoilt a bear head. I expect we have all done it at one time or another, I know I have. I made a twenty seven inch tall bear and decided to trim the fur around his face...whoops...too much, he was nothing like the bear I had designed so I went on to pluck the hair out and give him a nice fresh face. On a twenty seven inch bear thats a lot of hair to pull out, but he ended up great and sold for a lot of money...good old Ebay! I had to start again and make another bear though, as the first one had been an order and the customer had wanted a certain look so I ended up making another big bear and only got half the money that I got for the one that had gone wrong.

Hugs Jane.  bear_thumb

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Oh Shantell, is there no way of a recovery?   Sounds bad.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Can i officiate at the funeral Shantell? Maybe we can have a BONFIRE, toast some marshmallows crack open some beers?
:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Poor poor bear and poor poor Shantell  bear_cry   :crackup:

Penny  bear_tongue

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I have messed up the odd head but more often than that its when I make the head up on new designs or old ones and I don,t like him. It can make you feel very cruel disposing of it but sometimes if there is no way round it you just have to do it bear_cry If he is beyond repair you will just have to be brave and do the right thing  :doh:
Laurie :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shantel and Erin..Don't throw away your bear parts!  Make it into something new...something different.. set it aside for a while until it speakes to you (then if it really speakes to you go get therapy!).
No really.  Great and unexpected things can arise from mistakes (ie...anitibiotics, self sticking paper).

What exactly dont you like about your head Shantell?  If it's head is too close to thebody then add a neck...or try some extreme needle scuplting or needle felting.

I almost threw out my first tiger head.  It sat in my workshop for some time and I never had any intentions of ever using it.  Well...I changed my mind and thought I would do soemthing with it and I ended really liking it and he found a very good home in the end.

I get frustrated too and get the urge to throw something aside...but then I learned to put it aside..walk away..come back later and get a fresh look at it.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oh Shantell!! bear_cry  bear_wub Don't throw that head out yet......as Judi said, it may 'speak' to you later.  Some of my best work have been things that I really, really didn't care for at first.  (Like Harrison Hare......I hated him until he was completely finished! bear_wacko  :doh: )  Don't give up on it.  Set that head aside for a bit and see what happens!! :hug:  :hug:

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I'm with Judi on this one... walk away from it for a while... do something else, and maybe after a while you'll decide you can do something with him.  I frequently get frustrated when I am making bears... especially the minis, and I just force myself to put them down the second I start to feel like swearing!  Down they go and I go off and have a tea party with the little ones or listen to my oldest play a rockin' "Hey Joe" on his bass!     

Erin... I have a heck of a time throwing out mohair too!  Even like 2 inch scraps..... I had a two year supply of tiny little scraps that I could just do nothing with... but couldn't bear to see them go into the trash can!   :redface:

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Willamette Valley Oregon

I'm being a drama queen.   I went to bed right after posting and dreamed of bear parts all night.  bear_grin   

I'm trying new things...or so I thought and this is just not what I had in my head.  I knew as soon as I set the eyes something was not going the direction I had intended.  It's just nothing like I had envisioned so I ended up doing my same old thing but even they aren't that great.   I'd just make a new head but I was playing with scraps and a 4 piece body so I don't even have enough to do a new head...barely not enough like 1/2 inch to short for the gusset...AUGH!!

I'll post a photo when I'm done.  Who knows what'll end up happening...could be the best damn bear I ever make.   :crackup:   :crackup:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

:photo: a045.gif                      [size=22]NO!NO!NO![/size] h020.gif

c010.gif            [size=18]If you are going to bring up such a controversial subject you simply must show us the offending head![/size] c045.gif

[size=18]If you bring up this controversial a matter it should be put to a[/size]  c070.gif 

n100.gif  [size=24]TeddyTalk Vote!!!![/size] n100.gif

HA!  And you, Miss Shantell!  You know better....chopchop!!! pictures darling lady

n100.gif

:photo:  :photo:  :photo:  :photo:  :photo:  :photo:

Lets see this offending head.....

b040.gif

Willamette Valley Oregon

HA!  And you, Miss Shantell!  You know better....chopchop!!!

Dilu, Is there not a statute of limitations on the chopping incident  :crackup:   It's been almost a year...can't I be forgiven?

I've had a moment of brilliance...so I'm setting "the head" aside and making a new one afterall.  Perhaps when I'm done and over my frustration I'll post a photo so we can all have a moment of silence in it's memory.   :crackup:   :crackup:

I'm off...to the doctors AGAIN!!!   I need my own parking space by now.

Later kiddies...

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sorry Shantell, YOu will never live that down! LOL

It's just too funny.

I have to say though, I hate most of my bears as I work on them. The more I hate them, the more I love them when they're done. It's weird.

Willamette Valley Oregon

It is with great sadness that I must announce that "bear head" has passed.  He gave his life for the purpose of bettering all future bears coming from the studio of Apple Dumpling Bears.  He was a brave little bruin.  He also graciously donated his "parts" so that other bears in the future will carry a little piece of him with them forever.  bear_original bear_original

Sorry Dilu...NO PICTURES THIS TIME!!!

bear_cry   bear_cry    bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry   bear_cry

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
This thread just cracked me up as I sit here and look at that extra head inside the cabinet next to me. One day......

Sonya

Board footer