Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

lulubears Posts: 280

I came home last night to a message on my answering machine that rubbed me the wrong way.  The caller writes for both of the bear magazines and had offered to do a "trade".  She wants me to let her into my show on Sunday at the same time the artists are to arrive to set up their tables for the day.  She wants in free of charge, so that she can mingle with the artists, have continental breakfast with them, interview and photograph them for a "possible" write-up about the show in the magazine.   She indicated that since the magazine won't compensate her for her time and in her words "trouble", cost of photographs, etc., she wasn't interested if I wouldn't let her in early or if she had to wait until the general public could come in.  She said if that were the case, she definitely won't show up.  There is no guarantee that an article will EVER be picked up anyway, so I don't really see what I'm getting out of the "deal".   She said that "several" of the artists coming to do the show had asked her to write up an article. 

As an artist, I need every minute of set-up time to do just that - set up!  If I were to stop to answer questions, I might not be able to get my table done in time.  Photographs of artists setting up don't necessarily appeal to me, and by coming in that early, she wouldn't get any photos of any tables that were compeltely set up. She did indicate that by getting to come in early, she might find something that would be of interest to purchase, but again, wouldn't bother if she had to pay to get in.  Her entrance fee, by the way, would be a WHOPPING $1, as she is a senior citizen and that is what they get in for with their admission card.

I haven't responded to her, partially because she said if she didn't hear back from me, she would assume I wasn't interested in the "trade".  She also said there wouldn't be any "hard feelings" if I decided not to let her in early.

Opinions?  I thought she was VERY cheeky.

Luann

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Luann,
From what you said...I agree with you... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Hugs,

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Lulu,
     The tone of her message seems a little nasty to me - if it was my show, and she had asked nicely, I would have considered it, but you are right that most artists are scrambling to get their tables ready before a show, and wouldn't appreciate someone trying to ask questions.  I know I was alway frazzled before a show, and certainly wouldn't have wanted to be bothered.  I think I would use that as an excuse.  You could offer her free entry when the doors open, but my guess is she will refuse it.   I think she really wants to see what's available before other customers and as you said - who wants to see pictures of table being set up. 

hugs,

Brenda

Esmerldas Esmerldas
Colorado Springs, CO

Gee, I've always managed to get pictures and a story written without bothering other artists while we're setting up....sounds like someone looking for a free "in" and breakfast to me.......it also sounds a bit like blackmail to me (If you don't let me in, I won't write about you) which seems kind of nasty to me

Just my 2 cents!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I agree...the tone seems a bit nasty...perhaps there is something she's not saying.  I think you should respond even if it's just to say "no thank you."  I agree with Brenda...you should tell her that you talked to some fellow bear artists and asked their opinion about allowing someone in pre-show (which you just have) and that the general concensus was they would prefer to have the time to devote to setting up, etc.   It's a stressful time and they would rather have that time to set up and prepare for the show.  Offer to allow her in during general admission free of charge.

I know if it were me, I would be very stressed especially never having done a show and just reading about all the preparation everyone goes through the last thing I would want would be someone taking photos of me or my table in the middle of setting up.  I would think that would not be the best time to interview anyone.  I very much dislike pushy people who think they can just throw their weight around or make threats to get what they want.

Good Luck!!!  :hug:   :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Yep, Shantell, I definitely agree - it's basically blackmail and I really don't like it. 

Lulu, you could easily take some pictures and do a quick report on the show yourself, or even ask the artists when they arrive if any of them would like to do a write-up about the show to submit to the bear magazines.  I know a lot of artists that really enjoyed doing this, when I was doing shows.  I would not let this lady push you into doing something you don't feel comfortable with, just because she is being a bully.

hugs,

Brenda

lulubears Posts: 280

Thanks everyone.  I have no intention of letting her bully me.  I have known her for years, and she usually gets what she wants from others.  I don't like the methods she uses, and have no intention of giving in at this point.  In ten years, she has attended our show almost every year, but has never written it up.  I'm fine with that, and will have the info submitted by someone else.

Luann

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, my first show as a promoter hasn't actually happened yet but I can tell you right now what my 'counter offer' to this person would be:

"It's hectic enough for artists during set up time with out being interrupted for a chat and I don't know one artist who would want photos taken before their booth is completely set up. I'm sure you can understand. I'd be happy to send you a coupon good for one free admission to the show and you can bring it directly to the door when the show opens without standing in line. What is your mailing address?"

Those people who are always wanting something for nothing drive me crazy!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well I, as an artist participating in this particular show, can guarantee 'Madame X' - magazine photographer/writer - that I don't want to be hassled while I'm trying to get my table set up.  That "deal" she's offering only benefits her, as far as I can tell.  I'm totally with the rest of the group . . . she has a lot of chutzpah even suggesting such a "trade".  See you tomorrow Luann!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I don't have a comment about your specific situation, but thought I'd mention that at our best shows over here in athe UK, 'press' have special passes and are invited to attend.  I've always found them to be very considerate about approaching when I'm obviously busy setting up, or chatting to customers and I've always been delighted to be included in any coverage they give the show in their write-ups ... all publicity is good publicity!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

e076.gif                 

Hmm, from the few writers of both mags that we already know its just really hard to reconcile this behavior with the way those ladies behave.  They have always been top notch in my mind.

So I am figuring that this particular person isn't really an employee but a freelancer-so yes she probably doesn't get reimbursed but is trying to get to the place where the mags pick her up

.   a037.gif

However if none of her stories have ever been picked up maybe she needs to change her focus, or maybe just write something, or maybe find another aspect of life to excell in?

c028.gif

I applaud you Luann for not mentioning her name.  You're top notch too!

c018.gif

I thought Daphne had a pretty good way to handle it too!

g010.gif

Board footer