Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I wonder how I happened to get such an idea!

I guess I felt sad for that poor old bear in need for serious surgery and repairs...
I know i am a doctor but not even Doctor in medicine and not Doctor for teddy bears...

but now here I am: I said my friend Fabienne that i wanted to restore her old ted: the poor thing is about 50 years old. I will meet Fabienne's mum tomorrow so i will try to know more about the story of that bear and by chance she will tel me she has somewhere pics of the bear when young and healthy... Finger crossed.

As I was told some of you are used to restore bears, I would appreciate to be given any advice or idea that would cross your mind about the best way to restore him.

I already know that I will need to have a long chat with Fabienne to know what she wants to be done or not done: like changing or not the eyes, etc.

This is a mohair bear in two tones of mohair; a main one sort of brown and another one for the muzzle, inner ears and pads: sort of white-beige.

He has glass eyes, is fully jointed with cotter pin joints (I could see the joint of one ohf his legs as there is an opening in one of the legs near the joint), is filled with kapok.

He must have been much love due to the way the mohair pile has disappeared in so many places.
It looks like some repairs have already been done, probably by Fabienne or her mom.

I think he used to have a plastic nose.
he has something in his tummy: I think some kind of growler: you had to press somewhere in particular on the tummy to get some sound. It does not work anymore.

I have no idea about who made this bear (at least not yet).

Here are a few pics. If some of you want the pics in full size to help me, please e-mail me and i will send them to you.

teddy12xp.jpg

teddytte13pa.jpg

teddytete32zy.jpg

teddypieddroit7bo.jpg

teddypiedgauche1ml.jpg

teddybrasgauche3sy.jpg

teddybrasdroit3cb.jpg

teddyoreilledroite4dg.jpg

teddyoreillegauche7xj.jpg

teddyouverturejambe5vl.jpg

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

CatS & F(u)riends by Dani CatS & F(u)riends
Dieburg

Hi Sophie,

Firt of all, I would take the bear in a plastic bag and then into the freezer for nearly 14 days... To clear this poor bear from all, that maybe lives inside him. As I see on the photos I'm very sure, there are some moths or sometihing inside him.
After this time, the bear should be "cleared". Take him off the freezer and let him dry as slow as possible.
Now, he is perfect prepared for restoring.
I would let him as he is mostly, but would repair his paws, sew the broken seam, sew in his old eyes in and, this is nearly the most difficult thing, would stuff his snout a little and give him a new nose and mouth.
Maybe, you can give him a new growler, but I wouldn't.
At least would brush him all over and that's it.
By this way, he will not lose his old charm.

Hope, this will help a little?

I have added a picture of a bear I restored a few years ago.

If you need any help, you can always email me, if you want.

Many regards,

Dani

before.jpg

after.jpg

CatS & F(u)riends by Dani CatS & F(u)riends
Dieburg

Oh, I forgot...

When he is dryed after being frozen, you can "wash" him with baby shampoo foam and a soft bruch. But only foam, no water. Then dry him with a soft towl.

Hugs,

Dani

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Sophie,

How wonderful you are to do this. g020.gif

Looking at the wonderful pictures i note that one paw was already repaired, and i love the look.  Can you follow the previous seamstresses example and repair the paws in the same way and perhaps color?

I think Dani had some great ideas.  I don't think I could do it, but you have more experience with bears-repairing the muzzel and a new nose will go a long way to making this little guy feel better.

And I second Dani's sugggestion-kill the mites and moths and whatever else is in him first!

Kapok is wonderful but I only use it for mini bears.  But that would be a great way to restuff some of the areas that need plumping up.  I don't think I would remove the kapok that is already there, unless you are confident that the mohair will hold together.  I imagine that it is on the fragile side as well, so would probably tread lightly in the stuffing area.

I am very excited to see the results....what a treasure for your friend. a194.gif

Densteds Densteds
Website

bear-jewellery-105-Small.jpgbear-jewellery-101-Small.jpgHi Sophie,

I collect old bears and I have a little French bear similar to your friend's bear...here's some pictures of her (she looked like a girl to me ha!!) She still has her original stitched nose....but it does look like that fellow might have had a plastic one and it's been ripped off at some stage....anyway, good luck with the restoration, and we'd love to see some pictures when he's finished.

Board footer