Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

nettie scotland
Website

I know this seems a weird topic but I mentioned giving peas to my sick goldfish on another post and forgot which one.I am sure someone mentioned their fish dying.
If your fish start going upside down or floating it is normally swim bladder problems caused by constipation.If you defrost some peas and crush them up the fish love them and it cleans their system right out.One of mine was upside down last week and now he is right as rain.I wish someone had told me this years ago.I saw it on animal planet.A chinese woman was cramming peas into a huge goldfish's mouth.Quite bizzarre.Anyhow to any fish keepers with floaters ,try it it works.
Hugs Diane xxx
p.s if they lie on the bottom it is also constipation but you can fix that with peas or sinking food instead of floating.The floating causes them to take in too much air which gives the wee lambs gas.

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

I can just imagine hubbies face when i walk out to the pond with a bag of peas   bear_laugh  great tip, thanks :clap:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Diane,
     I wish I had heard this a couple of yaars ago.  I had a fighting fish that died and it had a lot of problems with swimming his side.  Now I'm tempted to get another one, only hubby doesn't want any more.  Isn't it funny that someting so simple would be a cure.

hugs,

Brenda

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

YEP DIANNE I THINK YOUR RIGHT .. I was at a sealife centre and they were feeding the fish choped mixed veg, its apparently very good for them.

beary_clairey Luton

Well you learn something every day !!!

LOL

Claire

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
thumperantiques wrote:

Diane,
     I wish I had heard this a couple of yaars ago.  I had a fighting fish that died and it had a lot of problems with swimming his side.
                                                           hugs,

Brenda

Yes and no....this will probably work for any fish to clear constipation, but siamese fighting fish (also called betas) are primarily carnivores ....prefering to eat insects and their larvae.  The peas will do the trick for cleaning out their intestinal tract, but will do the fish no favors in the long run....that is, if you can get them to eat it.  Also with the betas, you'll find most live roughly three years whereas the goldfish or koi can easily live 50 to 75 years, or more.  No, I'm not kidding! 

Goldfish and koi are primarily vegetarians, and yes, many of the ornamental goldfish (especially the fantails and lionheads) have problems with their swim bladders.  As they consume floating foods, they inhale too much air, and often will flip upside down after eating for awhile.  Also some have permanent troubles remaining upright or even being able to 'dive'.  Nothing is wrong with them....its just the shape of their bodies work against them and the way their swim bladders are shaped. 

With any vegetarian you need to be sure you clean, clean, clean their water, as they are far messier than the 'carnivores' (insect/fish eaters). 

Nice tip though bear_thumb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Thanks for the extra information, Deb!

hugs,

Brenda

bear_grin  I used to work with tropical fish.....have kept them for years, so its nice to help others along with the info I have on them  bear_grin    :hug:   If you have any fishy questions, feel free to ask!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I remember reading your original post. I have viled it away and have already pasted on the info.
Dianne!! I think you may have saved and truck full of fish :hug:  You are a savoiur bear_flower

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Thank you so much for this info.  I will pass it along to my son and his wife.  They are absolutely crazy about fish.  They have about a bzillion aquariums.  I think they would sleep with the fish if they could.  What can I say, I raised a softy.  I guess it's not surprising that veggies would be good for the fish, they are good for us.

Not a matter of 'if' they can eat peas...they certainly can, and it may give them loose bowels but its not going to harm them any.  No, I was merely mentioning with some fish, their preferred diets are meat based....so they may not touch the peas.  All a matter of trying and seeing what the fish likes.

You can also try slices of cucumber or zuccini...plecos go simply nuts for them!!!  With any foods you give to your fish, especially the tropicals, do be sure to remove them after a bit if the fish aren't eating them.  In a cold water tank you can let the foods sit longer, but in tropical tanks, the food will begin to break down, or rot...which releases ammonia...something you do NOT want in your fish tank!

Board footer