Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I found a wooden wagon at long last - for a steal - at of all places the local pharmacy!!??

Anyway, the dogs had to check it out! Riley even went for a ride while Tucker watched out the door window!

RileyWagon3.jpg

And this morning while eating my breakfast on the deck - which I've learned never to do without my camera as I've had a coon and bear come by for breakfast in the past - I had this visitor:

Deer.jpg

Isn't she pretty. She was only about 20 feet away from me. She finally discovered she wasn't alone, snorted at me and took off.

Oh, and a couple more plant pictures in addition to the ones I posted in Nancy's thread.

daisies.jpg

plant.jpg

Anyone else have some interesting photos from their yard???

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Ohhhh a beautiful White Tail...we only have mule deer near here...and a ways away elk...but there is nothing as beautiful as the white tails back east!!! I will be back there next week...in upstate NY visiting my family for a couple of weeks...I will take my camera for sure...I might even see the illusive albino white tail that has been around the family farm for years :dance:
Thanks for the pictures Daphne!!!!
PS..great wagon!!!Looks like Riley has claimed it :clap:
Hugs,

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Awww....look at Riley and how big he's gotten.  Wasn't he JUST a wee puppy last week?  I love deer except when they decide my flowers are their dinner. 

We have a doe with a fawn...it's laying by this big fir tree 1/2 way up our driveway.  I took photos of it last night in all it's speckled glory.  I am beginning to get a big concerned because it was STILL there this morning and I haven't seen mamma eating green apples off the tree for a couple days.

000_0919a.jpg

I'm hoping nothing has happened to her.   If the little one is still there later this evening I may contact the Wildlife folks and see what they say.  I think it's safe where it is but it's been really dry and warm here and the creek is too far for this babe to find water on it's own.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Awww, look at the baby!
I'd be worried too.
But it's just amazing living amongst so much wildlife.
Keep us posted on little Bambi!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Dontcha love it.....I lie really still in the pool and get visited by the most glorious dragon flies-nope can't get piccys of those......

Daphne

your garden is beautiful.  I aspire to a beautiful garden.  But you and I both know it can take years and years.....and this year's a bust.   But next year!  I am looking forward to it!  The only thing I miss about my old home is the garden.....My wonderful hubbs promises that he wont get any bright ideas about moving and I can go to it, as soon as my leg will let me....

I love watching what the deer do.  I have planted roses to climb on the fence that protects the garden....i told the deer that any roses on their side were fair game.....gollygee  they took me at my word! :crackup:

I had the hubs move the stationary bike to the deck so I could do it out there....the squirrels and a rabbit watched yesterday.....they watched me I watched them....too funny, and I was the 0ne inside the fence-hmmmm  zoos come to mind

I love your wagon, congrats!  What a great find!  really priceless.....

Thanks for the flowers..... 

n090.gif

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Man, where DO you people live?  I'm coming to visit you and all your wildlife.  Beautiful!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh Daphne you have me so jealous!  I wanna live where you do!!
Isn't Riley adorable in that wagon  bear_innocent 

Shantell, I hope nothing has happened to mama deer  bear_shocked   

Lisa, I hope your kitty comes home...and I agree with you...would love that sort of wildlife here!

xo Sarah

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Ya'll are welcome to visit anytime! :hug:
Along with the furry animals come flys and spiders that BITE, though!!
All part of the glories of living in the woods!

House.jpg

Here's a photo of my humble little abode. As Dilu mentioned, it takes years for gardens to grow. Our house is only 2 years old and the bushes/garden I just put in last year so they've got a long way to go to 'grow up'! We're on 4 acres, 3.25 is wooded though we're working on clearing some trees... it's hard work! Behind us are 300 acres of conservation land and our neighbors we can hear but can't see through the trees so lots of privacy. Our house was built on a natural wildlife path (we didn't choose to build here, the house was already in progress when we discovered it!) so the moose and deer, coyote, bobcats and who knows what else pass through still. I know when something has been through because in the morning the dogs go wild the second they're out the door!

Lisa, I have to say that in raising a wheaten it all depends on how good of parents you are. In hind sight, we were AWFUL, CLUELESS parents!! And our first dog was a puppy mill dog with lots of mental and health issues which just compunded the problem. Riley, the younger one, came from a wonderful breeder and is such an angel!!! We're all getting along quite well now. I entertain the thought of getting a third one, female this time, but then smack myself back to my senses. NO MORE dogs! Wheatens are beautiful and VERY friendly and loving dogs. I've never met a mean one! My guys LOVE to snuggle, kiss and do anything possible to please you. Now that puppyhood is over I can say that I wouldn't trade them for the world!!!  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Woooooo, Daphne, your photos are most wonderful and you live in a terrific place!  I've seen coyotes pretty close up in our yard, but didn't have my camera handy, of course.  Great pics!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Daphne,

Your house is delightful.  Even though it's newer I would not have guess that it wasn't just part of the country.  I love that New Englandish style of home.  Our house in Connectict was similar although 25 years old at the time. 

And....baby deer is no longer by the big tree...so mamma must be about.   Yay...I'll stop worrying and await for a closer view near the apple trees!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Found this... I took it yesterday.

Female Ruby Hummingbird
hummingbird2.jpg

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OOOHHHH Daphne!!!! how absolutely wonderful!!!!! your home is darling that dog of yours is to die for .What an angel. The dear the hummingbird.......WOW!!! your photos are just sooooo gooood. I missed the bear post though. What a shame. I'll keep my eyes peeled for more posts on your home life infuture.  :hug:
Wendy bear_thumb

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Oh Daphne, you got hummingbirds? To me that is about as exotic as it gets. Beautiful house, adorable dog. Having wildlife visit during breakfast would be my dream of living. Instead I'm in a 14 story appartment building in the middle of town, arrgh.
Spiders though  bear_cry Do you get black widows? (Shiver)

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Daphne, what a gorgeous place! and I love your pictures of the deer and your dog in the wagon, he is all ready for a ride bear_grin  Thanks for posting them.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

oh what a gorgeous hummingbird and how cool that you got a photo! bear_wub
xo sarah

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Daphne absolutely beautiful!!!  We don't have bears or bobcats  bear_cry  thank goodness!!!  Just the deer, coons, bunnies, birds and yes, coyotes too.  I DID see a hummingbird on our deck near a pot of my red flowers... but didn't get around to getting a feeder yet :doh:   Probably too late now...  I am SO happy to hear that Riley and Tucker are getting along now!  They MUST be for the *thought* of getting a 3rd one to be passing thru your mind LOL!

Oh Lisa I am SO sorry to hear about your kitty bear_sad  I hope he comes back soon.

Shelli, I just live in the Chicago suburbs!  We got SO lucky to find a house when we were not looking for one... on a dead end road with only 14 houses... next to 750 acres of forest preserve! 

Here's a few pics from the springtime.  The previous owners planted bulbs... I have yet to do anything this year myself... decided to wait till next year LOL!

house-spring1.jpg
house-spring2.jpg

house-spring4.jpg

I drive 1 1/2 miles out this road and I'm in land o' lights traffic lights that is (and Walmart, Home Depot, Mcdonalds,....) and just 4 miles or so away from the tollway!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Laura..... And here, being the photographer that you are, I was waiting for you to tell me that the hummingbird, that should be the focus of the picture is not in focus!!!!  :crackup:

Can I come live at your house! How beautiful your neighborhood is and all those tulips!!! Look at those LAWNS!!! There is no such thing is a lawn here!!! Crab grass amongst trees, yes. What a beautiful spot and home you have!!!!

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

Daphne,
It is lovely to see the animals that live around your home. The dear is so lovely, a bear now I would be scared. We have a housing development in the paddock across from our home and before it came it belonged to a very large family of Roos (70+) They would come across the road and feed early in they morning and late at night on the green front lawns. in the park they would lay down like lizards enjoying the sun, now those that have no moved on hop around in between diggers and earth moving trucks in the dust. So Sad bear_sad
Thanks for the great pics
bear_flower Cheers Susan

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh you guys....!!  4 acres, you're lucky to get 4 feet of garden where I live!!  Your houses are huge!!   You'd think ours were made for dolls - and small dolls at that!!   bear_rolleyes   It must be wonderful to see the wildlife like you do, thanks for sharing!!   :hug:

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

It is beautiful to see.  The only wildlife in my gardens are cats, dogs and some birds... no deer here sometimes we get a duck that wanders through with her brood. But I haven't seen her this year it is so DRY I'd say they have moved to be closer to water.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Daphne do you get violets in the lawn too? We have more of a meadow than a lawn but
that's alright - it is green anyhow  bear_grin & I do love the purple & white violets in the spring.

We had some neighbor ladies come to visit
12963929_1ecd7253c0.jpg?v=0
they did very much enjoy our irises - delicious, they said!

I think this guy
163585155_6638a20977.jpg?v=0

was looking for this guy:
180338751_6668c3d0d9.jpg?v=0
but I don't think I would have wanted them to meet.

these guys must be so bright, so I don't step on them by accident:
17207694_be61cff6b8.jpg?v=0
They are all over around here, which I think means a healthy ecosystem.

it's like being given a gift, to see these:
17980705_4f75a60ce3.jpg?v=0

bugs aren't the only things peeping in the windows
windowpeeper04.jpg

I pretty much always gotta watch where I step.
47616147_b580d0f7f6_m.jpg

Daphne gets bigger wildlife than me!  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kim-
We don't get wild violets here in the woods so mcuh. Lots of clover though.
We hvae those red/orange salamander things. I keep meaning to ask my neighbor (an eco system biologist sort of person) about them.
What are those moth/butterfly/green bat bugs? We have them also, they are the size of a hummingbird.

We do indeed have bigger wildlife than you but also I wouldn't be able to stand still enough, close enough, long enough to take pictures of BUGS!!! Eeeeew! Snakes which we have I can handle.

Nature sure is fun and interesting though!

Saw an albino spider today. Gross!!

Board footer