Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Black Forest Bears Haus of Bears, Inc.
Largo,Florida

Did you ever seen something that UGLY?

I especially made a Head just to test out some new techniques, but that is how far it went.!

What a mess I made trying to felt eyelids and on one eye I tried the eyelids with Leather Cording.

I also tried the Copic Markers for shading, they dont work out for me either!

Was it just not my day, or did anybody experienced days, where absolutely nothing works out, no matter how long and hard you try??
I wanted it to work sooo badly, especially the felting eyelids!

Rita
b7_1_b.JPG
16_1_b.JPG
29_1_b.JPG

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rita, I admire that you laugh at yourself.  Actually, despite the deliberate lack of symmetry, the face looks kinda cute to me anyway.  Does it have a little pig nose?  Did you just go "whole hog" -- pardon the pun -- when the eyes didn't turn out, and try something different there, too?  Just curious.

I always feel anxiety about how a particular bear will turn out.  The one I'm doing right now -- made of real fur -- has me in spasms, I'm so nervous.  Right now I'm wondering whether, if I try to embroider the nose, I will "ruin" it all.  It's very different than mohair.

The leather cording, by the way, looks great!  I can't see how the felted part turned out "badly," although it does look less like an eyelid than an eye surround.  Maybe you just need to add more wool.  Felters, any suggestions for Rita?

I've never tried markers, I'm too chicken.  Try paints instead!  I happen to use oils, with a dry brush technique, and find they are just so, so, so easy to lightly layer and control.  Maybe a change in shading medium will do the trick.  And now you have the perfect head on which to experiment!

Thanks so, so much for sharing.  bear_happy

Largo,Florida

Oh Shelli, you even give Compliments on a mess up.
You are soo nice.

The "Pig Nose" I done on purpose, after the "mess up" was done, I thought, might as well make it look like a pig.

When I see all you Bear Artist`s, like you and Judy, making those eyebrows and eyelids, I really thought I give it a try, well, so much for that, I think I stick to making my plain and simple Teddies.

Rita

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0037.JPGRita you are so brave. My mess ups just get put in the bin.

I am new to needlefelting too. Here is a picture of Bruno. I started the top lids on my foam, then about half done started felting at the top edge onto the top of the eye. It actually covers a lot of the eye as they were doll eyes and very large. Then same again with the bottom. I then used oils to paint the felt.

Keep trying it will be worth it and thanks for the pictures.

Largo,Florida

Amanda,

thank you soo much for the tip, I think I keep trying it on this Head til it works. ( Then, this one, WILL end up in the Trash also )

Your Bruno looks really cute, I also like your Bear you have on your pic.

Rita

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

My daughter Eve loves rats and has had many pet rats over the years. I decided to make her one for Christmas one year.............I hate rats...well the mohair one that I was making anyway! The real ones are so cute and intelligent so I should slap my wrist for saying that........but back to the story . I cut out a template for the rat and started working on the head, which although rather different to my usual bears heads I managed reasonably well..until....I had to do the nose....three times I stitched the nose...twice I threw it across the room declaring I hate rats...a few, or one heck of a lot of deep breaths later I finally finished the head...I had not thought how skinny a rats hands and feet really are...more growls and eventually he was finished. I was so pleased that Eve loved him cause I sure didn't! :)
Guess what.............I've never made another rat!

Jane.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I LOVE this little disaster head - PLEEEEEZE don't throw him in the bin!

He's not ugly, just unconventional-looking - if all uglybugs were put in the trash then there would nothing but beautiful babes left - how boring!!!

Pennypoodles - an ugly bug, so i know what i'm talking about bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I like the little piggy snout!!!  Just remember, this is a Test head and it is serving its purpose... believe me, I have a test head... or should I say it became one!!!

Board footer