Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Everyone,

Well, I finally took the plunge and purchased a light tent on eBay.  I went halvies with my sister, and we got a big one so she could photograph her dolls in it.

I'm having problems in that in most of the photos, I tend to get a light halo around the bear.  It's not a nice even lighting that Shelli & other people get.

So, what am I doing wrong?  I'm using daylight lamps that came with the tent.  Do you think I'm photographing too close to the tent? I did try different positions and nothing really worked.

Here's a photo of the bear so you can see what I mean
dorris2.jpg

Thanks - any thoughts would be really appreciated!
Danni

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Danni...where are you positioning your lights?...It doesn't look like you have used a front light...but I could be wrong....try not using black backgrounds too...they are a nightmare!! Try less contrast...that's probably a reason why it's happening.

You need to have the lights positioned so that they are evenly lighting the piece..and a light at the front, diffused with tissue or fabric or bounced off a piece of white card or tin foil will give you a soft light and loads of detail.

How near the bear are you shooting?...Most cameras won't focus very near..I have a lens that will be pin sharp at 12" away...but my standard lens won't be sharp less than 3 feet..I have to manually focus it if I go nearer..so maybe that's another reason!!

It also looks like your lights are placed aiming their beam of light towards the back of the tent..it's obvious but it's an easy mistake to light the back of the piece and not the front and sides!! It's not always obvious till you go ahead and take the photos!!

You'll get there!!

Jenny

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Danni, I think Jenny's right about the light placement and distance. I had similar problems.

Are you using a light at the top? That can produce halos. If you try everything else and still have glare on the white feathers, it might also help to double check your white balance, and/or use a slightly thicker diffusing medium on the wing side.

Lovely, etherial bear, by the way bear_wub

Dilu Posts: 8,574

When i use the tent i use  3 florescents and 3 hot lights...positioned so that they come in all 4 sides plus the top.  I like to flood the top of the tent.  Then I have a super bright worklight that ios at the opening with me that I can maneuver around.

I found a mottled back ground slight darker seems to help, hmm Like a Bali print cotton

Unless I am doing gollies....(black fabric just soaks up the light.)  And then I use a tannish background....the gollies seem to show up better....do black bears have the same problem?

I only use the light tend in the winter because it is such a hassle to get out all those lights and set up- I really prefer outside sunlight.  It would be nice to have some diffusers and I think Lisa posted something on this subject about a month ago....you can search using her user name...it was really sensible and of course I have forgotten what she said.  do Not Get Old!!!

hugs

dilu

but Danni, it is Winter, there huh?

Even though you have a light tent I don't think you can use too many lights.  And sometimes even with the balanced spectrums and all I still have to edit...

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great ideas here, Danni!!!!

Board footer