Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Pages:
Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

I'm feeling a bit demoralised at the moment and wonder if I should carry on with my bearmaking. 

I look with awe at the quality of bears everyone creates here and I feel singularly wanting.

For various reasons - I'm not in a position to make bears of the quantity some of you brilliant people offer. This is in no way a criticism - just an expression of my personal predicament.

I don't mean to be defeatist - I just feel I'm pushing water uphill.  Is this self-doubt a phase?

K Pawz Guest

Don't doubt yourself Sandra, your bears are adorable!!!! If it is eBay that has you asking yourself these questions, it isn't you, it is eBay, it is a very bad time right now....Keep your chin up, and continue to create your wonderful bruins!!! :hug:

Hugs,
Krista

Bev College Place, WA

Probably is a self doubt phase. But there have to be several levels of quality and I think we are all trying to improve, I always think if I ever make a bear that is perfect then I will quit because you have no where to go from there. Just price them fairly for the new collector and keep trying to improve. And soon you will have perfection.     Bear Hugs Bev

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Sandra...ask anyone here...I'm the biggest self doubter on this board...seriously.  Your bears a very darling and there is truly alot of talent here so it's hard to not compare your own work with others but you shouldn't (mental note to self).  For me, EBAY SUCKS...but that's me and it's very good to others and many have huge success at it...so as already mentioned do not use Ebay as a guide.

If you love bearmaking then keep doing it and the rest will fall into place when it should.  It's so easy to want more than you have in you to give...I personally struggle with it with every bear I make.

TT is a great place for encouragment...even the best of the best here have their moments of self-doubt...and we get to encourage them.  bear_original bear_original

Hugs,
Shantell

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OK Sandra, listen up sisterbear, :hug:

Yes, I understand the feeling of not being quite "good enough"

But you know what honey?  Every bearmaker/artist/creator/constructor/....has those feelings.  So did Judi or Shelli or Sue Ann or every other bear and golly maker here at TT. 

No matter how big the name, how much the money they make for a critter, there will still be periodic moments of self doubt.  Do you think Karen L. woke up one morning completely free of self doubt and a big name?

No, of course you don't.  She just kept working at it...Thats how it works....you keep on keeping on

Because as wrong as it is to compare ourselves, it is part of human nature.  And so we do.

And yes, not all of us will make it to the "big name status"

But can you determine who is going to be the next big name? 

Neither can I.

But I do know it will be someone who worked his-her way through self doubt, dreamed up new ways to tweak the pattern and kept doing what she or he loves to do.

The real question to ask yourself is

"Do I love this enough to continue pouring my heart and pocketbook into the endevor?"

Some of us can't help ourselves.....I can't.  I have to play piano and I have to eat chocolate and I have to make gollies.

I may never be a big name in golly making, never be in a magazine, never get big bucks for the gollikins.  But I have to keep working at it.

Now, I took a goodgolly gander at your web site.  You make lovely bears.  What is it about your bears that makes you think they don't measure up?...Analyze that and you know where to start.  But the other thing to remember is that this is a huge world, and there is a market for your style just like there is a market for the Tillberg's and All of the KIMs we have here.

No one can answer the question bout 'what it is about your bears' that makes you feel you don't measure up,  because no one really knows whats going on in your head.

I like your bears, and gollygee you have a lovely web site....and believe there is a place in the bear world for sweet little souls like yours,

By golly Sandra, you have a lovely website, you make lovely bears....any changes or development, that's up to you.  Now you can continue and you will improve with every bear you make because that is just the way it works, or you can quit. 

But, Honey, if you quit, you will always  be left with that age old sad question:

"WHAT IF"

Personally I hope you continue.  I hope you will see the support here for what it is, support, and will decide to continue your personal quest for the perfect bear.

I hope that you will wake up tomorrow feeling better, about your talents and your bears....
And perhaps it isn't your bears that is causing the disquiet in your heart, but the marketing of them.  Also difficult to master!

goodgollyhugs-it will get better bear_wub

dilu

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Sandra,  Trust me.  You are very good from what I can see so, chin up!  I started making bears last october and I have yet to do anything but swaps.  I shake in my boots each time I send one off and the nest time I do smething different than before.  It is scarey though.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww hey Sandra, I know how you feel...  bear_sad    I don't get time to do many, and the few I do don't sell.....  bear_rolleyes   BUT I love making them and will continue, although I'm just about to embark on a different hobby for a while, just to have a bit of a break, but I'll be back!!

How long have you been making your sweet bears for??  Keep it up, they're wonderful!!  You use some beautiful fabrics, I want to hug them all!!   :hug:  :hug:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I you listen to your doubts, you won't go anywhere!

If I had said myself, i don't make enough bears a month, I send too many bears as gifts or swaps, why should I keep making bears? I would have already stopped. And God knows I would need to make some money...

We are all very special as teddy bear artists. Some artists became more popular than others.
Sometimes I trend to feel depressed when I notice so few people viewed some of my bears or wrote some comments... does that make me stop making bears? no, not at all.
I have quite a bunch of people around me who are there to tell me they love my bears. Plus of course the lovely people there who wrote nice comments. Just a few people to tell me they love my bears are enough to encourage me making more. I don't need the entire world to say me they want my bears.
In addition, I love making bears. People around me tell me my last bear is my best bear ever for almost each new bear I make. Progress progress... the more you make the better you get!

So if you too have similar feelings and thoughts, you'd better keep making bears.
If making bears means more than earning money and getting known, keep making bears.
If every new bear you finish drives a smile on your face, keep making bears.
If your family and friends and visitors say they love your bears when they first see them, keep making bears.
If you enjoy spending time creating new patterns and sewing your bears, etc, keep making bears.
And... if you feel happy when you make bears, keep making bears!!!

I agree that all artists have some periods of doubt.
If you were never doubting that would mean you are some kind of odd/weird person.

I often doubt, until there is at least one person to tell me my bear is cute.

So cheer up and make more bears, honey!

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Sandra  ..I think that self-doubt creeps in to everyone now and then. There is always someone who appears to do it better, for more money, faster and with more flair than every one of us...because somewhere inside is an insecure little voice that nags about everything we do. I like that voice becuase I always think that the day I stop listening to that is the day I mess up.

I think that bear making is something that you learn from every day and for that reason I would be determined to carry on, because every bear you make becomes more accomplished and your confidence will grow.

I can go for weeks not making anything..then I turn out 10 one after the other.

Don't give up making your bears...you'd be disappointed with yourself if you did..because you like making them and that's a good reason to carry on.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Sandra !!! Sandra !!!  We all feel lacking I think when we see other artists things. I do also !! Some times I feel like those people on American Idol that think they can sing but they can't. But they are really sure they can !!!  Ummmmmmmmmmm  !!  There are a lot of really wonderful artists better than me , and you know I have always thought .... GOOD !!! There are things I would like to buy. Actually it excites me and challenges me to keep going and keep pushing my self. If you are worried about sales, ..... well they are down right now .Only a chosen few are selling well. There is a need for all of our work . What appeals to one does not appeal to another. And tastes change . So don't stop. Just do like I do , it is therapy !! And I enjoy designing and seeing what I can come up with. So if no one ever buys again , I still am having a good time. Please , please don't stop. It is a part of you now. We all have teddy bear fur hearts  bear_tongue

BEAR HUGS ......... Jodi Falk

sarahjane Brisbane

Sandra....If you love making bears of course you should continue!!!  Your bears are beautiful, self doubt is normal and I'm sure most people on this board go through it on a regular basis.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

Hi Sandra,
I know exactly what you mean as tt is a great place to learn from but at the same time seeing the standard of other peoples bears can make you doubt that your bears are any good.It takes time to learn a skill and the less time you have to spend makes it even longer.You have to keep persevering and trying to improve yourself all the time.Everyone has to start somewhere and some people reach the top quicker than others but if you give in you will never know how good you could have been.There is a bear for everyone and some of us just have to work a bit harder to sell them but don't give in as you will get there in the end. bear_thumb
Laurie :hug:

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Sandra, Sandra, Sandra,

I'm old enough to be your grannie, girl, so listen up. bear_thumb

Everybody started somewhere. It's hard to become 'known' when you haven't got the time to auction a bear a week, or the $$ to advertise, or any of that. But you will get there, if you really want to.

I'm a beginner at 62, and I've never been happier--how's that for the triumph of optimism over the fugacity of time? My first bear took 2 months. I can now produce one in a week, and someday soon I'll speed up even more. Meanwhile, I run a small but profitable business as an English tutor. It helps to pay for the stash, almost.

I think the dissatisfaction you're feeling is probably a growing pain. Your bears are lovely, and obviously well made.

The next step is to challenge yourself to try something different, something you don't think you can do. If this means trying a new technique, or trying to produce a bear similar to one you admire, just do it. You won't be copying, you'll be learning by emulation.

The only competition that ever matters is competition against yourself.

Think of it this way--One day you'll be  :dance: famous  :dance: and your unsold bears will be valuable collectors' items. Like Stephen King's grocery lists.

chris009av Real Deal Bears

Sandra, what good advice you have had.
I know when I am feeling low, I force myself to work through it.
I really feel that when your feeling like you do, although it might seem like a negative thing, I feel it is your subconsous pushing you further.  If we were all happy with where we were, we would stand still and not get anywhere. 
So my suggestion is WORK through it,
Think Positive,
And, look at this time as a transitional time in your bearmaking.
Your bears are great, it's your subconscous pushing you further.
AND.......... (((((((( a big hug from me))))))))))))))  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Sandra,

Yes you should continue and yes it's a phase, no worries.  We've all been there and done that..it's normal think the thoughts you're having now....but only let it happen this once  bear_happy   Then never compare your work to others in this way.  Admire the quality, admire the quantity and then get back to what makes you happy and content with your works.  Remember the first time you made a bear and it smiled back at you...that's all that matters.
I've found over the years that setting specific goals keeps me focused.  I'm only working to achieve my own set goals...I'm not working to emulate, compete with or compare myself to another.  Set the goals that you are to meet and over time meeting those goals will take you exactly where you want to be. bear_thumb

:hug:
~Chrissi

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Sandra,

Big dido to all the above. I can't add much more. I can only say, I came in TT to do a follow up and saw your post. No one should stop doing what they love. It is what makes us who we are. There are things in this business that sometimes makes us feel this way, but you know what. Your bears are made for someone and someone's out there and if you stop making them they will never meet your wonderful bears. That would be really sad indeed. And if you stopped making them then you will never know what may have come if you continued  bear_original

hugs dear  :hug:  :hug:
Kassie

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I have to concur with the group. It definitely is eBay and not you! For the last 6 months to a year ebay has sucked. I used to sell at least 2 bears a week on ebay at top prices. Now I KNOW my bears have gotten better over time, but now I am lucky to sell 1 a month on ebay and bearly breaking even on them. So believe me, it isn't you
Sonya

JeannieB JeannieB Bears
Greensboro NC

Hi Sandra,
Your web site is lovely....as are your bears! I have looked at your bears as often as anyone else's bears. I am "sewing" my first bear now and wanted to tell you that I have looked at Raspberry's eyelids and paw pads....my next bear is going to be made out of faux fur that is the same length as Henrys...so I have been looking at him as a reference to how my bear may look. You are very talented....and your bears reflect that. Must be ebay.....
    Keep up the good work!!!!! bear_thumb
          JeannieB bear_original

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hiya Sandra. I've not made a bear for ages and probably won't until Amy goes back to school. I know when I do I will have a few 'getting back into it' moments. We all started somewhere and I wish I had photos of my first creations, you would laugh! :crackup:

It helped that I had the time and money in the beginning to push the bears forward design wise, but its not about that so much as getting what you want out of every bear, then moving on.

Keep at it, let those bears that you like inspire you and remember as long as you enjoy doing them, you are on to a winner. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Sandra, hang in there.  Don't give up. If you love making bears, keep doing it. I always doubt myself -especially when I started on Ebay.  Don't let it diminish your confidence.   I too tend to compare my work with others on here and want to give up sometimes.  But, as Eileen wrote we should only compete with ourselves.   There is nothing wrong with your bears.   :hug:

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Hope you are feeling better now !!! :dance:

Could I jut say A

VERY BIG THANK YOU

to everyone who has taken the time to read this thread, and,  particularly to those who have responded.   :hug:

In truth - I'm a bit overwhelmed by all your support. 

Thank you so much - you'll never know how you've helped me.....................

Kathleen Pa

Hi Sandra,
First let me say, I wish my bears came out as lovely as yours.  I was very excited to join TT but when it came to posting pics of my work  all the insecurities and doubts  that went thru my mind.  I am relatively new to bear making and I have not made a bear yet that I am totally satisfied with but,  I've learned alot in the short time I've been on TT and learned that this is a great place to try out my wings.  After reading all these posts, I am encouraged.  Like so many others have said, I really enjoy making bears, they are in my head,  the smile they put on someones face  even for a moment , makes it worth it.  I think you are very talented and your bears are great!!  So, keep on stitchin'

Kathleen

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Sandra if you give up then I should too!  Your bears are sweet and lovely and they have their own appeal.  When I first came here I felt so overawed by the talent but it also helped to see what can be done and every so often I stretch and try something new and I learn from it!

Bearmaking doesn't come easy to many of us some easier then others but don't give up as you bring smiles to people and joy to your own heart.

Thank you again for your comments.   I'll just battle on and see how it goes.

I've never offered anything on eBay - I don't want to go that way. So many of you have had problems with eBay. buyers and people misrepresenting your work.  I don't want the aggravation.  I know lots of you swear by it but I always succumb to Murphy's Law.

Pages:

Board footer