Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Sorry everyone, I need a hug.. :(

I received a letter from attorney.
In the letter,he said that
my kindred who has died. (which I don't reconize and I don't know her)She had some debt and
I , my mom, my husband has
heritage heirship to her but  we didn't
abandon to that before time limit.. so now, we have responsibility to pay
this debt!?  I can't believe what I saw! We need to consulting the attorney and have to correspond.
I just hope this is some kind of  fraud and we don't have to deal with...

I hope I don't bring you all down...
I was just so shock and wanted
a hug from you.

Thank you for listening .
Hugs/Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh Marie,  Here's a HUGE Hug!!!!!!!!   I have no idea about law in this country, let alone in Japan, but it seems very wrong that you ahve to pay someone else's debt.

Good luck with it all.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, you'll be in my thoughts.

Keep us all informed with how you get along.
Danni
***************HUG****************

clare14 Country Bears
England

Marie that must have been a shock.  I hope you and your family get this sorted soon, and are able to relax again.

Remember we are here for you always................

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS FOR MARIE)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

WOW! Marie, can this really be true. How can you possibly have a responsibility to pay this debt?
Do make sure and check with your attorney before you go any further. This is just so wrong!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((MORE BIG HUGS SWEETIE)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Jane

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Marie,
                  Thinking of you and Hope and Pray that there has been a big mistake.It does not sound right at all.
          Big Hugs from Rita xxxxx

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Marie,

You're in our prayers.  A bit of advice, don't release any money or information without a complete investigation.  There are so many cases of fraud out there.  I'm not sure about the law there, but it sure sounds suspicious to me.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Dear me Marie! I have never heard of such a silly thing in my life! It CAN"T be true can it? Have you ever heard of anything like this happening before?  You need to seek independant legal advice...but I really can't see how you can be responsible for such a debt...especially when you didn't even know the person.
Sending big hugs to you. ((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))):(

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

(((((Big Hugs, Marie darlin' :D)))))

This sounds to me like a fraud, but check with a lawyer, then report it to the authorities. I'm guessing that all you'd need to do is reply by registered mail that your lawyer will be in contact. I don't think you'd hear another word . . . but like the others, I know nothing about Japanese law.

When my mother died in Missouri, we were badgered with all sorts of claims. Most of them were frauds, but even the legitimate credit card debts were not our responsibility, even though the credit card companies tried to convince us otherwise, the snakes (no offense to real snakes). It's a risk the credit companies take. The senior residence where my mother lived for 15 years even tried to convince us that she'd 'signed' for another month's rent, and that we had to pay. Garbage--they couldn't even produce a document!

So listen to the bearladies, and see a lawyer, hear?

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww Marie!  Huge hugz from Chicago!

And yes, please please please get a lawyer for yourselves to check this out bear_sad

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Sounds like a con to me. Be careful about your attorney fees too. To cut a long story short my dad had someone try to claim compensation for 'a fall injury ' on his land. He had to pay an attorney (solicitor) to prove they were lying, but it was sorted in the end. Hope it goes OK, I'm sure the legal people have already come across this.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Hugs from me too. I work for a lawyer, doing estates etc. We would never go after family members to pay debts unless they had signed as guarantors. I wouldn't worry about this - sounds very much like a fraudulent claim.
May be a new variation on the emails I've been getting lately from Nigeria about huge sums of money and needing an out-of-country bank account or I've just won several million dollars in a lottery...I forward them back to the provider as fraudulent.

Marion

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Welcome, Marion! :D

Good info, thanks! I love your avatar . . .

Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Big Hug to you Marie...

Did this letter come from the US or Japan?  I just went through what we call "probate" here with a friend and in the US the family is not responsible for their family members debt.  There is a process the family must go through in order to pay as much of the debt as possible before any inheritance is given any heirs.  I really encourage you as everyone else has said to seek an attorney of your own.  There is a great deal of fraud happening through the internet, etc., and I was just reading an article about how criminals are conning the dead and their families.  So...

Big Hug Again...

Shantell

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Big Hugs Marie!  What a shock this must have been for you...especially when it is someone you deid not even know.  Glad to hear you are seeking leagal advice.  I just can't see how you would be responsible for someone else's debt.

Good luck sweetie.
Big hugs , Judi

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Marie,
I am sending you hugs and prayers.  Get your bears out and give them each a name of all the Teddy Talk folks, give each bear a big hug and know that those hugs are coming from each of us here at Teddy Talk.

Get your attorney and then try not to worry.

Bear Hugs,
Donna

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Further on this - don't respond to the letter or initiate any communication until you have shown this correspondence to your own solicitor. If you respond then they figure they have you hooked. They would probably then offer to withdraw their claim for a 'portion' of the total debt. I would bet money or even a bear that this is fraud of the worse kind.

Marion

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hi ladys. i'm Irène and i'm french, so don't be surprised about my bad english. I was firstly a clothdoll maker but since one year now, i'm much a hooked bearmaker. I just can't stop sewing them.I began by using others bearmakers patters, but now i'm working with my own ones. Beeing a doll maker is also a big advantage for my bearmaking because i can use the same techniques, for example to the designing part. I love this forum because it so active and helpfull. All of your bears, ladys are candy's eyes. I'm sorry for you marie, but you have to talk with a lawer. My father in law died last year and it was advice to us by a lawer to do not accept the inheritance because he was in debt, othervice my husband and i will have to pay. Even our children could have to pay if we didn't have money. We didn't accept this inheritance and our childrens had signed some papers to a notary to stipulate that they don't also accept (hope that make sens). My advice is to find advices from a lawer. I will try to send photos of my work if i find  how to do so. Have all a nice day, Irene

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Welcome Irene. You have joined a wonderful forum. A greta bunch here. Hugs.

Marie. Please be very wary Hon. First we send our prayers and a hug to your family. Please seek legal advise from your own attourney and make sure this is legit. If you do not have your own lawyer find a friend or family member whocan recommend one for you. Please check this out before you do any money exchanges.

Hugs and prayers to you

Louise and Garnet

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Marie,
Here's hugs from me too!!!
Some good advice here.
Please let us know how things are going.
We'll always be here for you!

Marion - Welcome!!
Irene - Welcome!!

So glad you've joined us!

Hugs,
Daphne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING DO NOT RESPOND TO THAT LETTER!  TAKE IT TO AN ATTORNEY and see what your options are... and if you are responsible...

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Marion and Irene  lovely to see you here, please join in and show us some of your bears. 

MARIE here's another hug for you (((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))))))

Jane

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Aw, Marie.  I second what most other folks here are saying; DO NOT ENGAGE.  Get what they are suggesting IN WRITING... then take it to a reputable attorney of your choice (not theirs.)

In America, I don't think survivors are responsible for the debts of the deceased... unless, as someone else mentioned, they signed some kind of contract in which they AGREED to be responsible.

It does indeed sound like an attempt to take advantage of your situation.  Proceed carefully.

Regardless, I'm sure it's a lot of miserable stress.  Hugs your way...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Marie 

Dilu and all the naked gollydollys on the couch send you hugs......I know you are in Japan and laws are different, but I don't see how you can go wrong speaking to a lawyer first.

You are in my heart and prayers always, but especially now!

Keep us posted- we hope for the best

huggies and heart felt best wishes!

Dilu- and friends

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. bear_original I needed those hugs!
You don't know how much that means to me now, I feel much better than yesterday. I think your "hugs and prayers" are working!

I am going to get my attorney now....
My appointment with attorney will be some time in next week or next next week. (because they are so busy..)They said I need to take action in 3month and I may have to go to the Court. :/
But still I want to find out "Who ?!"
is that lady claiming to us......
I will let you know how this will go....

I want to say, I love all of you very special people !!!
You mean so much to me and have helped me so much.  I couldn't eat and sleep last night but I feel like eating
today. :P
Eileen, I am sorry to hear you had
to deal with all that . .. when you loose your close family,
it is so much pain already, and getting
frauds & frauds from credit company !? is last thing that you need!!!   I will open my eyes and
try to investigate everything for my case. thank you for your advise.

Welcome Marion & Irene!!!
I'm glad you joined.
Marion, thank you for your regal advise!
Irene, your English is fine ! look what
I'm typing here. My English is boo boo sometimes. he he 
Thank you.
Marie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Welcome Marion and Irene.

I am sure you will love it here!!!  Irene, you english is fantastic, and Marie, you's is wonderful - very little boo boos!  When you do make a boo boo (very occasionally I might add) it's only very little, and we still know what you mean!

Danni

Pages:

Board footer