Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I know this subject has been discussed before but since we have so many wonderful new folks and I'm hating my boring black or blue backgrounds, I thought I'd bring it up again.

So...what do you use for your background when photographing your bears, hares and such?  What colors do you use, prefer and why?   

TTFN,
Shantell

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL!  I'm boring I guess.... I use black, white and added royal blue after the last discussion... when it was mentioned how the Plum Club uses a royal blue very successfully....

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Shantell,
     I don't remember another discussion - maybe it was before I joined.  I have always used a black background because it's the only way I seem to be able to photograph without a lot of shadows.  Not a very proficient photographer here LOL!  I also think customers get used to identifying bear artists on Ebay by the backgrounds they use, so I've just stuck with "basic black".

Hugs,

Brenda

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I seem to be using black and a khaki background exclusively lately.........and I seriously thank those of you who suggested the black to me a while back! bear_wub    Black works well for my lighter colored bears, while the khaki works for the darker ones.  It's interesting as the khaki looks more white or cream in the pics  bear_wacko ................ 

Hugs,
Tracy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh yes, I remember that discussion.

I recently got a light tent off eBay that came with a white and a black background. They work perfect. I also use a lightish blue and sometimes a piece of natural muslin. I like the white if I know I'm going to do any editing of the picture... it's easy to erase the background if it's plain white.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I use poster card ...I have lots of colours but my favourites are creams, greys and blues..I also use pale pink, green and brown sporadically...depending on the bear.
Lately though, I bought plain inexpensive wallpaper in a few colours....this is nice as you just remove the messy bit from the end as it gets crumplier  and it comes in nice colours too.

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

I just use a white pillowcase!  bear_tongue  But I was thinking, if you want to show off a white bear, use a red background. It is like wearing red lipstick to make your teeth look white. They also do it in dog shows when the owner would wear red clothes to make a white dog look whiter.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use mostly blue, sometimes white... I dont use black anymore, it wasnt making my bears look right.... I just stick to blue (it is a piece of cheap fabric that was $3 a yard)..... My white background is posterboard I do have other backgrounds, a light green, a light pink and a black with sparkles but I usually stick to blue as I myself am drawn to blue

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I too use a photo tent.  It gives you filtered light without harsh shadows.

I,like LIsa, use a color which compliments my bear of animal.  For example, my Tiger....I used a grey background.  White would not work beacuse it woul detract from the white areas on the tiger...same for black.  Blue would work also.

I just bought some background paper from a photo supply shop.  It comes in rolls and is thick, crisp, and works beautifully.  BUT...I have found that a CHEAP roll of banner paper from Hobby Lobby( less than $5.00 as appossed to $35 for one roll of photo background paper)worked beautifully too.  With this paper you can also  place a light BEHIND it a get some nice effects.  My recent Baby Sherwood Bears are photogrqphed using this paper.  ALSO in your photo editing program you can tweak the filters and it adds some really nice hues.

Board footer