Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Some of our recent threads have been inquiries about resource recommendations... so I thought I'd start a thread here in TIPS & TECHNIQUES which corralled all these suggestions into one space, for easy future reference.

Below, some suppliers people have already shared, with a few of my own added in.  Please contribute as you can with your own favorite resources/suppliers for that special, hard-to-find, or truly unique stuff that the "big shops" like Intercal just don't carry (they're busy enough carrying ten thousand varieties of all that wonderful mohair, eyes and noses, threads, and flosses!)

HAYLEY... I can't find the thread where you posted your store URL and I can't find your store on Google, either (MUST do something about that, woman!)  Please add your store info since I was too daft to do so for you, despite good intentions!

Very much looking forward to learning about all your "secret" suppliers!

RIBBON and LACE
www.mjtrim.com
www.americanribbon.com
www.lacis.com
www.beaucoupribbon.com
www.artisticribbon.com
www.schiffribbons.com

CRAFT SUPPLIES, GENERAL
www.crscrafts.com

VINTAGE REAL FUR GARMENTS FOR USE IN BEARMAKING

eBay Seller:  fazooks

ULTIMATE STUFFING TOOL

www.donnasduinbruins.com -- Donna Mettling, bear artist

CRAFT BOOKS
www.lacis.com -- HUGE selection of unusual crafting and textile books (incl ribbonwork, beadwork, patternmaking)

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Good idea for a thread, Shelli!  Someone asked the other day about fake fur suppliers, here are the two I gave out (other than Edinburgh):

FAKE / FAUX FUR SUPPLIERS
Fabulous-Furs: http://www.fabulousfurs.com/search.asp?t=c&c=9

PreFurs (carries Tissavel brand): http://www.prefurs.com/10Browse.asp?cat … y+Tissavel

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Shelli - thanks for those links.  Very helpful plus fun to browse.
Does any one know where I can find knitting, crocheting or sewing patterns for bear clothes?

Sandi

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great idea, Shelli . . . thanks for getting the topic organized and easy to find!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Sandi,
Recently I was admiring a TINY jumper on a bear about 6 inched tall, and I asked the artist did she knit it and where did she source a pattern so small. She replied that she just used a normal baby jumper pattern and knitted it with ultra fine wool and small needles. maybe you could try that? May take a parctise run or two to get the size right but I'm sure you'll find a bear to fit whatever you turn out anyway.

Shelli,
My URL iswww.bearcupboard.com
I'm surprised you didn't find it on google...when I looked, it was on page 1!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I couldn't remember the name of your "store" and was rushing around when I wrote my RESOURCES post.  I tried to find your store by Googling your name and your bear company (justus) name.  I then quickly tried to find a recent thread in which you had posted, hoping that the name of your store was included in your signature (it obviously is!), but just didn't have the time to look thru enough posts to find you.  I did find your bearmaking website, justusbears, when I Googled you, but just FYI -- woman -- it doesn't have an easy reference -- that caught MY eye, anyway -- to your Bear Cupboard store.  Is it buried there somewhere, or did I just miss it? 

It suddenly occurs to me that I should have checked out the USER LIST feature here and then found your recent posts, or your personal information, that way.  Duh, Shel.  Hey; I never claimed to be a computer OR a forum expert!  I just said I know a teensy bit about making teddy bears!

Thanks anyway, for giving us the link!  I was just trying to be helpful, in any case, especially since I wasn't sure you'd mention it yourself. bear_happy

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Does anyone have a supplier for French Velour.  The local store where I used to buy my supplies from (which has now closed) had a selection of French Velour which was very nice to work with.  I have been on both the Prefur and Fabulous Furs web sites but can't seem to find what Im looking for :(.  I have searched the net until Im 'blue in the face' and even a few hues of purple!!  The furs that they advertised and sold as French Velour were very soft and had a knit backing.  A considerable amount of them had different colored tips (blue with black tips a really rich pink with white tips and textured blue with white tips).

Thanks for the other great links.

Jane

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi Jane you fellow Albertan you!!! Where in Alberta? Happy to have a few more of us redneck here!!!:lol::lol:

Sorry I dont have an solution for you but wanted to say HELLO Girl!!!

Hugs Louise

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

A BIG BIG HEY to you too Louise,

I live in Redcliff - just outside of Medicine Hat.  And how about you?  Im kind of new to the forum but Im really enjoying it.  Lots of good tips!!  Not sure about the redneck thing LOL Im definately not a country fan - Im more a rock girl myself!

Bear Hug
Jane

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Here's some  resources for your website:

http://www.lissaexplains.com/
Great FREE site to learn how to build a website... teaches HTML to kids... so we should be able to handle it LOL!

http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html
Lots of computer online classes... I took Build Your Website: • I - Intro XHTML/CSS

http://wahmshoppes.com/
Website "stores" including webhosting with built in templates (no HTML required!)... or if you know HTML you can customize.  LOTS of features though... so it can be a little confusing.  Be sure to take advantage of their FAQ section and also their "Support Community" and just do a little at a time!  (I use this!)

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/
This place has cool "scripts" for neat effects in your website.  I just switched from a scrolling slideshow to a fade in and out slide show using one of their scripts.  (constanty tweaking LOL!)

http://www.northcountryteddybears.com/4 … ertut1.htm
Nancy Tillberg offers a link to a free photo editing software download and she gives a free tutorial! 
I like using my Photoshop Elements for a few things... but had trouble giving my photos a "frame".  This free photo program has great frames!  And best of all.... it's FREE!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Thanks Shelli...and you are right...I have neglected to make reference to The Bear Cupboard on my Just Us Bears site...must remedy that this weekend when I'm adding everyones links. My Just Us Bears site is so badly in need of a revamp and some more bears that I have tended to just ignore it lately. I have been working on this same bear now for like three weeks...trying WAY too much new stuff, and I'm getting sick of it. Coulda made three 'normal' bears in the time I've spent fiddling with this one. *sigh*
I am glad you made reference to The Bear Cupboard...you're right, I'm not very good at promoting myself. And you weren't blind...I only just added the site to my signature after you posted about not being able to find the info. So thanks for the kick up the proverbial...I needed it!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

where does everyone purchase their glass eyes?  I want to get some and want to start to hand paint clear ones but dont know where to start.... I would like good quality at good prices. ..

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi Kim!

Both major teddy bear suppliers carry them.  (Intercal and the other LOL!)  For me it would depend upon if I'm order mohair too.

From the other supplier, I prefer the Eye Type: 502-40
"A glass clear colored eye. With narrow loop and Transparent evenly domed w/round black pupil."

I don't care for the 204's as much.  the 502's are a little more expensive but worth it.

I know that Shelli likes the eyes from here at Intercal...  Here's a copy of her post:

Actually, I buy the premium glass eyes from Intercal; the ones with the new loop design.   They cost more but I swear they are almost all precisely the same dimension for a given size, from diameter, to dome height, pupil size, etc.  And the glass NEVER has bubbles in it, which I have occasionally found with other eyes.  Try them out!

Quality #560, in clear or the color of your choice!

http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog/eyes.html

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

thank you!!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Kim, I get my clear glass eyes here -- from Intercal.  I get the premium ones.  They are superb, with even pupils and dome heights, diameters, etc.  There is almost no problem, EVER, matching two of them exactly. I find it's well worth any tiny bit of additional cost to have such wonderfully matched eyes.  Also, I should mention that I have never, ever had one break, nor the loops pull out of the eye, since I've been using them -- for over a year now, and on about 50 bears at this point.  I've also clumsily dropped them repeatedly onto my hardwood studio floor, and they don't break or crack with that kind of mishandling either.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Then that is where I will get them... I didnt even think about all those variations or problems!  Thanks for the imput! bear_laugh

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

What type of paint do you use to paint your eyes.  I have only ever used the manufactured colored eyes and never thought about painting them myself but since reading and looking at some of the bears with painted eyes I really like the effect.

Jane

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hello Jane. I beleive you can just paint the eyes with acrilic paint. Just make sure to seal it when you're all done. But I'm sure Shelli should really answer your question just in case.
Also wanted to say to my fellow Albertans! Nice to see that there are bear makers close to home.
Heather

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Website

Hey Heather - Fellow Albertan!

It is really nice to hear from Albertans and surprisingly there are a number of us.  I live in Redcliff and we are actually coming up to Calgary today to take the grandkids to the Zoo - and Toys R Us LOL.  Its my grandsons 1st B/Day on Sunday and we don't have a lot of choices for toys in Medicine Hat.

So how long have you been making bears?  I've been making bears for about 3 years and started designing my own about 1 year ago.  The pic in my Avatar was my first design and is named after my grandson - Hunter.

Bear Hug

Jane

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Hi Jane.  I'm certainly no expert on eye painting!  There are, I'm sure, many ways to do it.  But I do use, as Heather said, regular ol' acrylic paints.  I also use nail polishes.  And I always seal the back of the eye with black nail polish, which gives it a nice dark finish, and keeps any acrylic paints I used from running in the case they come in contact with wet fray-check, for example.

Have fun!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi there!

Been staying off TT to get ready for my first show end of the month.... but wanted to share a resource with everyone on where to get great business cards at a reasonable price. (photo biz cards)

http://www.overnightprints.com  They cost me what it would have just for the paper -- so doing it myself would have been more expensive (what with the ink and then my time to cut them all apart)

bear_original

Pipa UK

does anyone know where you can get Novelty Buttons online in the UK ?

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Jane
You can purchase French velour from Dear Bears located right next to you in Richmond BC The url is www.dear-bears.com. Happy shopping!!!!
Hugs
Gail

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Hi Pipa

www.calicocrafts.co.uk is a brilliant craft site, I haven't been to their website for quite a while but have just had look and they have quite a large selection of buttons.  They've got mini buttons, baby buttons, just for men buttons, Halloween buttons, Autumn buttons, Easter buttons - the list just goes on.  They can be found in the Twiddley Bits department.  She also stocks a wide range of wooden shapes, repro vintage labels,rusty tin and all manner of craft items we would find of use.

It's definitely worth a look.

Vicky

Pipa UK

Oo thanks Vicky. i will go check it out  :D

vkallum wrote:

Hi Pipa

www.calicocrafts.co.uk is a brilliant craft site, I haven't been to their website for quite a while but have just had look and they have quite a large selection of buttons.  They've got mini buttons, baby buttons, just for men buttons, Halloween buttons, Autumn buttons, Easter buttons - the list just goes on.  They can be found in the Twiddley Bits department.  She also stocks a wide range of wooden shapes, repro vintage labels,rusty tin and all manner of craft items we would find of use.

It's definitely worth a look.

Vicky

Pages:

Board footer