Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I am stepping off the bear trail here for a minute...but we all live in such diverse places and I read somewhere that the average family (certainly not saying WE girls are average) has 7 recipes that they use over and over.
I would love to try some recipes that a tried and true.  Have anything that your family really loves?
I will post a couple later, but I just wanted to get this going in time for dinner :D
nanc....

Dilu Posts: 8,574

How does Lean Cuisine sound? :lol::lol:

OK I'll behave

I will try to find something appropriate and easy and good too....

Weight watchers?

Dilu-who preplans left overs-

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Yes I need  help too!
Any body please teach me  good
5minutes cooking in healthy way....
I am so no-good for cooking bear_sad but I do cook everyday and so sorry for my hubby....)
anyway,
How about weight watchers in my way !? :P

My husband has the incurable disease, ulcer characteristic large enteritis(not sure if this is the
correct spells...)and he can't eat anything that
oily and high calorie .....so I cook non-oily stuff
always for my husband.

Here is *Teriyaki Tuna* (if you don't like the tuna
use red-meat chicken instead)
:For Two:
1) Buy two cut peace of 200g of tuna.(or any kind
    fish with no-born or red-meat meat.)
2) Mix 2table spoon
    of soy sauce, Sake or  white wine and
    1tea spoon of sugar(or honey)
3)Mix 1) and 2) and let soak for 30 minutes.
4)If you like a ginger put 1 small slice in. 
5)Put out the ginger and put fish  in the microwave oven for 5 minutes.(this will depend on your microwave oven power.)

6)Go steaming any of your favorite vegetables in the microwave oven and  attache them to fish
dinner.

I like to learn anything non-oily and
      how about Italian !? anybody know about
      healthy Italian food?
PS. Sorry that my pics is so big. I will delete
      this pics in few days.

Thank you/Marie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Marie, is this the actual dish as YOU prepared it, or did you get the photo from a cookbook?  It looks wonderful!  I might even be able to get my kids (who LOVE teriyaki) to eat fish this way.  Whee!  Thank you!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Shelli,

Oh no, I found this pics in web . This is good
looking Teriyaki-tuna with ikura(fish eggs on top).
If you are not afraid of oils, you can bake
them with oil or BBQ which taste better. he he

Hugs/Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What a gorgeous dish, Marie!!  Bet it tastes just as good as it looks, too!

I don't know girls . . . you want Tex-Mex from Texas, or BBQ, or chili . . . . . oh I'll pick out something!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Marie, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's health problem!

I'm afraid I don't have any "light" recipes...

But... I really do not enjoy cooking... cause I'd rather be making bears! (or be on Teddy Talk bear_grin )

What I do love is my slow cooker.  I used to have the orignal crock pot... but there's really only 3 of us (and in the summer 2) and it was heavy.  My MIL has a West Bend slow cooker - a little 4 quart one.  The pot is metal and you can put it on the stove!  I loved it so she got me one for Christmas.  (sadly they only make the bigger ones now... the 4 quart is perfect for a single person, couple or small family!)

Anyways... here's a favorite of our family.... Chicken fried port chops (see... NOT low fat LOL!)

I only buy 3 chops cause there's only 3 of us... and I dredge them in a mixture of:
1/2 c flour
2 t salt
1/4 t garlic powder
1 1/2 t dry mustard

and then 1 t of any other seasoning I think may taste good LOL!

In the metal pan of the slow cooker... on the stove, I brown the pork chops in oil. 

I then take the chops out, quickly wipe out the pan with some paper towels, put chops back in.

Then I take 1 can cream of chicken soup mixed with 1/3 cup water and pour it over the chops.

Cook for about 8 hours on "a tad over 3" on the West Bend cooker... or low on a Crock Pot.

We eat this with applesauce and mac n cheese bear_original

One thing I look forward to in the winter is to be able to use my oven again!  At least the slow cooker keeps the house cool bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yummy, Laura!

oh girls, I just tried a new recipe last night that was really delish!  But you have to like sauerkraut.

Chicken Ruben
In a casserole dish:

4 chicken breasts.
Salt and pepper these.
On top of the breasts: put a 16 oz can of drained sauerkraut.
Next layer: sliced onion (Optional, I did and it was soooo good)
Next layer:  4 slices of swiss cheese
Next layer: half a cup of Thousand Island dressing
Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours.

If you like sauerkraut, you will love this. 
I used to have a chicken recipe that won the nationals, from a lady in Montana.  It used sauerkraut as a stuffing to tenderize old hens :lol::lol::lol:...anyway it was so delish...the sauerkraut acts as a tenderizer and moisturizer.

MARIE...this could easily be made fat free.  Use your fat free cheese and weight watchers Thousand Island.  Oh no, your location is Japan...maybe this German dish isn't to your liking.  WEll, try it anyway!!  You may get a real surprise.  I will definitely try your recipe...but I love fresh tuna so I may use just as it is.

Laura...my mom used to make a dish where she would smother pork chops with cream of mushroom soup and cook slowly all day.  The pork juices would cook into the soup and make a wonderful gravy.  I will certainly try this one too, it puts a different twist on moms old recipe.

nanc......

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

My favourite low calorie/fat dish is cous cous stuffed mushrooms or you could use rice.

Just stuff 3 large flat mushrooms with cooked cous cous (I like the garlic one), sprinkle a little grated low fat cheese, in the oven on a medium heat for about 15 mins and enjoy with a salad.

We have something here called Staffordshire oatcakes. They are a bit like a savoury crepe or pancake, I'm not sure whats in them apart from oats! We then fill them with cheese, bacon or my favourite sausage. Not exactly slimming but very nice.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Okay, Ladies, here is my daughter's favorite dish . . . . Texican Squash (hope you like squash!!).

2 1/2 lbs, summer squash (yellow, zucchini, etc.) cubed or sliced
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, cubed or grated
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 tblsp. flour
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1  4 oz. can chopped green chiles (mild)
1 chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper (very optional!)
1 1/2 cups crushed tostados
1/2 cup chopped onion

Cook squash in 2 cups water until barely tender (about 7 minutes) at a boil.  Drain and cool in a colander.  Mix eggs, milk, cheese, salt, baking powder, flour, parsley, onion, and chiles together.  Fold into squash.  Butter an oblong pyrex 3 quart dish, 9" x 13".  Sprinkle bottom with tostado crumbs.  Pour in squash mixture and sprinkle with more crumbs.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 

Now this is one of my (if not THE) favorite desserts.    Kookie Brittle

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

1 cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 tsps. vanilla
3/4 tsp. salt   Blend ingredients well.
Gradually beat in
1 cup sugar
Add
2 cups sifted flour and
1 6 oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips and mix well.

Press evenly into greased 15" x 10" x 1" pan.  Sprinkle 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans over top and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.  Cool and break into irregular pieces. 

Enjoy!!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello! Oh boy so many good dishes bear_laugh
Can I  just visit you all and
eat this dinner at your home !? he he :P

Laura: Thank you for your comment ! My husband is doing well
except he just can't eat the oily stuff.
I do love slow cooking food because its taste better bear_laugh Thank you for great recipe for chicken!

Nancy: I love sauerkraut ! and we do have fat free Thousand Island
but I'm not sure if we have the fat free cheese.. hmmm I'll
check out! Thank you for sharing your chicken recipe.

Amanda: I lurve mushrooms !!!!! your recipe sounds very
yummy♪thank you.

Sue-Ann: Thank for real cooking recipe bear_laugh I love zucchinis and
all my family does. We don't have USA summer squash but we do
have USA zucchinis and many Japanese Squash will do !? he he

Hugs/Marie

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Laura - I can't wait for winter.... I always think of slow cooker meals as winter meals. Mom always made beef stew in hers and you could smell it all day. By dinner my stomach would be SCREAMING for stew!!! Thanks for the memories! I'll have to try your recipe... sounds yummy, much like a comfort food. I bet it would be good served with stuffing too!

I don't have any good recipes.... I HATE TO COOK!!! I have 5 ways to cook chicken, 2 (now three) to cook pork and then there's hamburgers and hot dogs, shepherd's pie (which I never make the same way twice), lasange(sp?) and mac & cheese. That's it! Gets pretty boring here! Oh, and I make a mean garden salad!:lol::lol::lol:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Ooh, that reminds me.  I can cook, but nobody appreciates my cooking, so I have developed a total case of PTSD and feel anxious every time I go near the kitchen.  Having said that, I have a homemade French viniagrette dressing that everyone -- even my kids, who are 9 and 11 -- loves.  Can you believe it?  Kids eating salad willingly???

It's easy-cheesy, too.  This makes about 1/2 cup, plenty to heavily saturate salad for six, with a little left over for next time.  Actually, I tend to just add new dressing atop the older stuff, as it seems -- like an unwashed wood salad bowl, or a seasoned cast iron pot -- to add great flavor to the dressing.

PERFECT FRENCH VINIAGRETTE
6 T oil (olive, or a mixture of olive and whatever other light oil you like; canola, safflower, etc.)
2 T garlic vinegar
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 t. smooth Dijon mustard
Pinch Thyme (fresh is better, dry is just fine)
Pinch Parsley (same here)
salt & pepper to taste

Mix, shake well, pour, & enjoy.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Nanc-

just an off the wall observation-you ask for reginal recipies....meaning things eaten in our part of the world- then you post an interesting recipie

but

WHERE ARE YOU???

Also Your recipie looks yummy and tomarrow is shopping day!:D

what happened to Maries picture? :/

Here's an easy fun cookie if you get tired of making the same ol'

Make the traditional oatmeal cookie recipie from the box, but add a couple tablespoons milk, a handful of coconut and cut up gumdrops

DON'T USE BLACK ONES eat those while you cut up the gumdrops- they really taste icky icky in the cookies. 

Bake as normal

but I recommend using parchment paper, and let the cookies set about 2-4 min before trying to move them to cooling rack-  very sticky until they cool

Kids go bonkers over these....unfortunetly there is fat in these cokkies

So  For Marie:

NO FAT Cookies for people like me that can't eat fat, Like Mr. Marie

4 egg whites room temp
1 teas. cream of tartar
1 cup bakers sugar ( granulated sugar that is extra fine....)

Beat the daylights out of the eggs-as though making meringue

now you can add just about anything you want.  I have used:

finally chopped hazelnuts
chropped dried cherries
spices-nutmeg, cinammon apple pie spice- not my fav.
finely chopped almonds with 1 t almond flavoring
choco chips ( i used the mini ones)
I even use ground hazel nuts- makes an interesting cookie

I scoop the mess into a zip lock baggie and then squueze it out onto parchment covered cookie sheets

bake 300 farenheit oven-untill they are lightly brown on top

turn off oven but leave cookie sheets in oven untill cooled-
block oven door open a little

These won't last long-they disintegrate after about 2 days- so eat up!

Good enough for company Chicken:

take boneless breasts and pound with meat tenderizer hammer thingy

chop up fresh basil, tarragon, garlic

spray pan with Pam

add chicken, brown lightly on both sides, add enough white wine (any will do but the better the quality the better the flavor.) to cover

throw in garlic and herbs,

turn low and let simmer, the wine will turn into a nice sauce.  Remove when the wine has boiled down enough to have thickened. spoon wine goop over chicken prior t searving

Marie, I always use skinless-the fat content is virtually nill.

Okeydokey--no piccs cuz these are my own recipies and who knew someone would want recipies? :)

I look forward to trying these recipies you guys have listed-tomarrow is hoping day.hmmm  it's also shopping day so this will be fun

Dilu how come we don't have a hungry smilie?

bear_laugh Dilu, I wondered if we were going to get more out of you that ...lean cuisine !!

I am in Atlanta, GA...well, actually half way between Atlanta and Chattanooga.  Very close to the mountains (Appalacians), which we love to visit, it seems, everyother weekend.  This past weekend we went up for some wonderful Georgia peaches.  Yummmm.  I immediately came home and made a pie and that was all we had for dinner :lol::lol:.  I haven't made a pie in quite a while, so it was a real treat.

I am always beating chicken breasts down with the 'tenderizer thingy'...sometimes just throw them on the grill and then other times rolling in bread crumbs with added spices...but boy Dilu, when you start talking about fresh Basil, you have my full attention!  I love basil and grow it in my garden like other people grow corn. ;)

Amanda, I will sure try your mushrooms.  We eat a lot of Portabellas.  I like to marinate them and throw them on the grill to use in place of a burger.  LOVE EM...by the way, when preparing a 'Port for any recipe, always take the gills out.  They supply nothing and add a dark brown icky color to anything you make with them.

Sue Ann, it all sounds good.  I love summer squash ( I am pretty much a Vegan, not for any reason...except I love veggies and sometimes get grossed by eating meat.  This has just come on me since I have gotten older.  I used to be quite the meat eater, but not anymore.

Shelli, first I have to ask (and I am probably the one one who didn't get it) but what is PTSD?
Your recipe sounds so much like one that we use all the time too.  My step-mother gave it to me...it is so easy and so good.
equal parts (you can even use teaspoons as measure for a tiny salad)
           Ketchup
           Cider Vinegar
           Sugar
           Oil
Shake it all up and do the hoochey koochey ~~~~~~~
It is great alone but a lot of time I will through  blue cheese in it and/or fresh herbs.
I will definitely try yours this week...it sounds even better.

Marie:  The fat free cheese isn't too bad...you might try a cheese called  "Lorraine"...very good!  If you can't find it pre-packed...ask for it at your deli.

and Daphne, sweetie...get 'cookin !  Here in the south macaroni and cheese is a way of life and some of the recipes border...gourmet!  I don't have any tho because I never make it.  Hummm, I will see if I can find you a true southern mac and cheese recipe.  Asking a southern woman for a recipe is about as insulting as asking one how much they weigh and totally a waste of time.
I once heard that if you want someone to tell the truth, give them a mask to put on...but I don't think it would help with these old time southern gals. :lol::lol:

Enjoying all the wonderful recipes here..thanks to you all.
Nanc.......

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

(1) PTSD -- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Such as what Vietnam vets have, or someone who can't board an airplane without a massive anxiety attack because they were once involved in a crash.  Explains the huge, crushing fear a crime victim experiences when revisiting the scene of that crime.  And so on.

(2)  Sue Ann -- Kookie Brittle.  That stuff is deadly.  I rushed right into the kitchen and made it upon reading your recipe.  I now find I can't stop.  Eating it, I mean.  FABULOUS... and my husband agrees wholeheartedly, with a, "Wow!  This Kookie Brittle stuff is REALLY good!"

It apparently goes well with:  watching television, sitting on the sofa, computer work time, and drinking coffee.  Among other things, I'm sure.  PS to everyone else:  Never share recipes again that could in any way be construed as CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES or I will weigh 400 lbs. by Christmas.

(3)  We should write a collective cookbook, with photos of each contributor's bears on the page on which her/his recipe appears.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Glad you liked the Kookie Brittle, Shelli!!  I can eat a whole pan at one time (if my husband isn't watching)!  QUITE addictive . . . almost like teddy bears.  Too bad it's so easy to make . . . I make double recipes of it when I finally let myself make something decadent.

Oh my gosh, Shelli...I was thinking the same thing! (no, not about no more chocolate chip recipes)...I was thinking we should make a cookbook. The recipes that have been coming in are top notch.
You're so good with words...think up a catchy name.

Sue Ann, you will be missed by everyone.  Your in-put (an of course those recipes) is enjoyed by all of us.  I hope when you get back you will tell us all about your book.

I am working with a dear friend who is suffering from Bi-Polar.  That is very much like PTSD, I assume.  She was present during a bank robbery and then shortly after, her mother passed away.  This has just been too much for her and she rarely leaves the house.  We have changed her diet and her therapist has seen a significant change in her...so that is a good thing.
nanc.......

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli, I thought the same thing back about a month ago ... doing a Teddy Talk cookbook when I got something in the mail from a company that publishes just such 'club cookbooks'. I think it's a great idea!!! I'll be in charge of.....whatever part I can be! Just as long as I don't actually have to COOK any of the recipes... unless it's sweets or breads... I LOVE to bake - totally different thing.

Sue Ann, I've baked some of that Kookie Brittle to take to our cabin with us this weekend. I bet it doesn't last the 5 hour drive!!! Mmmmmmm!

Board footer