Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Hello,
I have just listed a bear on ebay and have received 2 suspicious looking e-mails. The first tell tale sign is that they are asking about "this item". For instance, "I am interested in this item, can you tell me if you can ship it to this zipcode?" Generally, when someone has written me about a bear they compliment on the bears first and ask about the "bear" instead of "the item." And then, they give me a zipcode in Iowa. So I look up this persons ebay ID and it says that this person has 0 feedback and lives in NY. So it sounds like a stolen ID to me.   bear_angry
So, the lesson I guess that we can learn from this is to do a little research on the person that is sending the letter before you respond by clicking on the "respond now" button in the e-mails. Because when you click on the respond button it takes you to where you sign in to ebay! So then, they can steal our ebay id and whatever else they can get to through ebay!!
Man, we have to be on our toes with everything!!  bear_angry

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Roxanne,  bear_flower
I heard about this scam just yesterday from another artist friend of mine.  NEVER open anything even remotely suspiscious from eBay in your e-mail.  Only answer notices from your ebay account directly. 

Also, never send money to a third party or accept money from a third party.  This is yet another eBay scam going on right now according to my friend. 

Lastly, you might want to reconsider selling to someone with (0) feedback.  My friend was just taken for a ride for over $1,000 from a bidder with zero feedback.  They ran the bid up on a well known bidder, with deep pockets, and then bailed out of eBay altogether.  Rotten, rotten, rotten!  Needless to say my friend did the right thing and offered the bear to the true bidder for her reserve price instead.  What is wrong with people these days?!!  Ebay seems to gather some real doozies!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh, and here's a new one I just received in my e-mail.  A Feedback Withdrawal Request.  Go directly to your "My Messages" section of your eBay account to verify if it's real or bogus.  If it's bogus send it to spoof@ebay.com. 

Oiy!!!   bear_ermm

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Aleta,
Thanks so much for the helpful information!

I have just received another scam in my e-mail! grrrr  bear_angry
It's the exact same wording as the last but with a different ebay ID. They all have been forwarded to "spoof@ebay.com."

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Dang the ebay scam e-mails...I got 2 today... bear_wacko just sent them to spoof@ebay..cause none were in MyEbay...so I knew they were scams.

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi,
I got a really weird emai too.  I like to list clothing on ebay as well as bears and just listed a '[INVALID] 2 piece black leather-look pant suit.'    Some guy in  Norway asked to see piccys of me wearing it!  HA! NOT!   why do you think I'm selling it?       Never go shopping when you're working midnights...you never know WHAT you'll come home with!
hugs,
nt

Board footer