Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

BethBear Posts: 27

Hi All,

'Cuse me if I am telling something y'all already know but it has helped me.  I use acrylic stuffing and plastic pellets in my bears.  For years I had used "Polyfil" but encountered someone at a show a couple of years ago and they were using "Mountain Mist".  I aked why and they said "because it stays where I put it".  I tried it and they were right.  Anyway, Walmart stopped carrying the above but have found that "Morning Glory" is made by the same company and seems exactly the same.  I find it it much easier to get a firmly, evenly stuffed nose and head with either Mountain Mist and hopefully Morning Glory.  As a wonderful artist pointed out years ago, a firmly stuffed nose is SO much easier to embroider. 

Hugs,
BethBear

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I just wanted to say that I've just heard that too. I think somewhere on here.
I haven't tried it yet, still trying to use my "other" polyfill. But I did buy some, opened the package and I can really see how the stuff will be better. With my other poly fill from Micheals, I find it has a mind of it's own, and slips like crazy. Plus, I think that Wallmart brand is even cheaper! Can't get any better than that!
Heather

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

CR's Crafts (www.crscrafts.com) has several different types of stuffing from the economy that stuffs very firmly to the fluffy stuff that gives a soft touch.  I buy the economy in a 25 lb. box because I use so much and the price is very reasonable.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Heather,
You might want to go ahead and get the good stuff just for the head and use your polyfil for the rest of the bear.  There are several artists in CA that use both stuffings.  One for the head and one for the rest of the bear.

Donna

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

I have switched to Mountain Mist also, at least for the head  - I purchased it at Joann's Fabrics.

Jill

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks  Donna, that makes sense, there's no point in using the cheap, slippery stuff untill it's done, but this way I can use it all. I do like the feel of it in the body, so thanks for the idea
Heather

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Another way to make the stuffing stay where you want it, especially if you want to stuff softly and with body contours, is to take several long stitches through the body to hold it in place, making sure that the stiches on the outside are too tiny to show.

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I actually tried Polyfil, Mountain Mist and Firmpak (had not tried CR Crafts) and finally decided to at least TRY the one at Walmart.  Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be my FAVORITE regardless of price!  (and Walmart is just 1 mile down the street from me)

It's funny how we sometimes have different things that work for us bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yeahhh !! THat's the one I settled on too. I buy mine in the big box size....Winney

Board footer