Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

teddytalk2.jpgTeddytalk1.jpgMy open house was this afternoon, and abut fifteen minutes before it started, I decided to water the flowers in the back garden.  I walked outside and couldn't believe the mess.  There was a huge trail of cedar mulch from one garden to the other!!  I quickly scrambled to clean it up and was about half done, when I decided to take a picture.  Anybody have any ideas what would do this?  When I tried to look in the lilies where the trail ends, something made a noise and moved and it scared me, so I left it alone.
I was going to spray water into the lilies, but thought maybe something is nesting and trying to have babies, so I didn't have the heart.

Renae, do you know anything about turtles?  Someone suggested it could be a turtle trying to find the "perfect" spot to lay eggs.  SInce they bury themselves quite deep, maybe they decided to look for a better spot and carried the mulch on the shell and if fell off?  Anyway, I'm stumped and don't know what to do.  If it's a turtle, it will be a snapper and we have them the size of basketballs around here.  I don't want my cat to stick his nose in there - I hope it will disappear quickly, if that's what it is.  The joys of country living LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Hi Renae,
     Thanks for the info - I'm sort of leaning towards the snapping turtle as well, messy little bleeper that he is.  It also happened at night and they are appartently nocturnal.  Just what I need - tons of baby snapping turtles in the fall!  We do have painted turtles here but nearly not as many as snappers and the snappers we have are really, really big.  It's nothing to see them as big as 16 inches round and they are so nasty, it's scary.  Our old neighbours had a smaller one in there yard a few years ago and their two dogs has cornered it.  Tracey was petrified, so I went over with a metal snow shovel and picked it up and took it back to the creek.  This thing hissed at me and tried to bite the metal shovel, which was hilarious, but it could have done some real damage, if it had decided to bite one of the dogs.   Hopefully, if that's what it is, it will be gone in a day or so.

hugs,

Brenda

Renae,
    I think I will let nature take its course.  I just read that out of about 60-70 eggs, only 3 or 4 make it to adulthood.  I don't want to destroy the eggs, if that's what it is.  We will watch for them in the fall and relocate them to the river, if we find any.  Apparently they are only aggressive on land as they are too big to retreat into their shell for protection, so they become extremely vicious when threatened.  When in the water, the are very shy creatures.  See, that's what I love - I've learned a whole lot of new stuff about turtles today.  Very cool.

hugs,

Brenda

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh MY Brenda!  My guess would be FAIRIES!   :pray:  bear_wub

My husband and I still tell the stories of the incredibly strange things that happened when our house was on the market.... we had a glass top outdoor table shatter for no apparent reason 20 minutes before a showing... raining minute shards of broken glass all over the deck.  My youngest decided that he was going to "open" a box or two of cereal and dump them on the familiy room floor the morning of a showing... I had to enlist the vaccumming help of a neighbor on that one... we got it all cleaned up, but the family room still smelled faintly of Fruit Loops for several days!   bear_angry  bear_tongue

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I love reading all the wild and wonderful things you gals get yourselves into!  Brenda, I hope your openhouse went well.

h074.gif  025.gif  014.gif  008.GIF

Board footer