Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

First, how long do you let your painted eyes dry before you use them on your bears?
Second, I use the German eye setting method where you go in from where the eye is to the back neck of the bear take a small stitch and come back out the same hole you went in with the eye.  When I go to tie the knots behind the eye will that friction of the thread against the paint and nailpolish cause the paint to come off or hurt the eye in any way?  Or should I just tie the eyes off at the back of the neck?
Thanks for the help!
Donna

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Donna!   :hug:
Mine dry for quite a while... I tend to do the eyes before I start sewing the bear itself, so mine dry for a good three or four days before they ever get set into the mohair.  I'd just tie them off near the disk at the back of the head.  I wouldn't want to risk stratching up the paint on the back of the eyes.  Depending on what kind of paint you use, and how thick it is, I think it could happen. 
bear_wub
Kim basta
Wild thyme Originals

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears
WildThyme wrote:

Hi Donna!   :hug:
I'd just tie them off near the disk at the back of the head.  I wouldn't want to risk stratching up the paint on the back of the eyes.  Depending on what kind of paint you use, and how thick it is, I think it could happen. 
bear_wub
Kim basta
Wild thyme Originals

Kim, when you do the eyes like that, how do you stop the bear looking as though he's gazing heavenward for inspiration.  Even sculpting the eye socket doesn't entirely solve the problem for me when I try it that way?

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Sandra I know EXACTLY what you mean!  Or sometimes... when you pull the threads out to the center bottom of the gusset area, the eyes can end up looking outward as well... like she's staring off to either side!  I'm sure that quite a bit of it has to do with the pattern sahpe that you begin with, and then exactly WHERE you do the needle/thread sculpting stitches.  Unfortunately, because I almost always change the pattern shape on each and every large bear I do, I still haven't developed an exact sequence of sculpting stitches that works for me everytime, so that I could give a nice detailed "in through the tear duct... out through the chin.... in through the chin out through the x....." etc.....  I DO do quite a bit of heavy sculpting through the "tear ducts" (both inner and outer corner) and out through both the chin/neck and the back of the head.  I basically try to get a nice FLAT spot where  the eyes will sit.  Sometimes I tie eyes off at the base of the chin/neck... and sometimes out through the low back of the head.  Sometimes I tie of each eye individually near the seams of the back head/gusset....  it can be TOUGH to get that, "I'm looking' right at ya!" look!

Kim Basta
Widl Thyme Originals

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I always make a batch of eyes in advance.  I leave them to dry overnight and then they are fine to use the following day.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I leave mine over night..I wouldn't dare use them sooner...I also tie off by the disc.....but I don't go straight back ...I go diagonally back the threads from each eye go to the opposite side...the sit ok...but I needle sculpt the socket first...to bed them in...

I use felt at the back now too...sometimes showing as white  rims, sometimes not showing...I glue it in place...it just stops any potential scratching..

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I think I need to rephrase the first question.  In the past when I have painted eyes for my lions or goats I always let them dry overnight or several days.  I want to use painted eyes in a workshop I will be teaching at the San Jose Convention in July.  Has anyone used their painted eyes after just a couple hours of drying?  I plan to use the white felt behind the eye to help protect the eye.  In the past I have not glued the felt or ultrasuede eye patch to the eye.  Jenny, what type of glue do you use?
Donna

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Donna..It's just plain old Hi-tack...it is good coz it's strongish and colourless...it's not crucial that it's rock solid..it just needs to hold it still till you sink the eye.

I also use this on my noses before stitching where I've cleaned the pile away,it stops any bits poking through and holds the threads in place...It's a good all rounder

Donna...if you were to use nail polish instead of paint it would dry  hard very quickly...you can even get a quick dry spray...manicurists run the nails under cold water to harden them...why wouldn't it work for eyes..I always use nail top coat on the eye backs any way..and on the lids.

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Donna,

I always wait to do my eyes til the bear is nearly finished becuase I want the eye color and look to be 'just right' (and if I make the eyes in advance they never end up looking like they fit the bear lol)  Also, since I'm always using different patterns, I never know exactly what size eye is going to be perfect.  Anyway, I'm rambling....  Yes, I paint the eyes and insert them within a few hours.  I always check them to make sure they are completely dry before using them.  Usually you can tell because the polish will have dried down and molded to the groove between the black and clear on the eye, whereas when it's wet, it is a big blob covering the entire back of the eye (at least the way I do it, it is)  I will use my nail or finger tip to test the polish and make sure it's completely set.  I have never had any of my eyes smear, rub off, or anything like that, but I DO tie off on the back of the head, not back in by the eye.

Oh, and yes I use nail polish always, too...

Kimberly W.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Donna,
I paint my eyes with real cheap craft paint. It dries in minutes. After that I either use glaze or something to seal it.
This whole process only takes me a few mins. Maybe 10 for it all to dry.
And it's tough, I've had cats steal my painted eyes, and I"ve even tried to pick off the sealed paint and didn't have any luck.

I just use sculpy glaze to seal mine.

Hope this helps...

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Like Kimberly I only use nail polish, several coats, making sure it's dry each time before recoating, finishing with a sealer.
But I do have an eye day, where I do a whole pile of different sizes, different shades, a bit of an experiment here and there, etc...bit like a production line I guess...it works well, because by the time I have finished with one colour, the first coat's dry.
But I always know who I'm going to use them on...either the bears or the ideas are all there in advance if you get my drift.
I also tie off at the back of the head, as close to the neck disk as possible.
Bear_with.gif
Hugs,
Sandi

mcawus Posts: 2

Heather,

I would have to agree with you that I use a cheap water based acrylic paint so that I can blend for any color and it dries quickly.  I do heat set the eyes with a blow dryer and seal them, then heat set again.  I think that it allows me more time to go over the eyes and get the perfet color.

Board footer