Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Barb Pontiac, Il

Hi Everyone

I am new to posting on this board, I have been a lurker since day one, old habits die hard I used to lurk in the back of the class when I was in school many years ago so the teacher wouldn't call on me although it never worked I was always called on.
Anyway I would like to offer a couple of ideas on where or how to possibly sell bears for some people. I have a chronic illiness which has left me homebound my only option for selling bears was ebay as I am not able to go to shows or get out to promote my bears. A couple of years ago I had an idea I had never seen in our town which is a small town, I decided to have a one woman bear show. Since I have to do things as my health allows, I chose to have a little show under our car port in October it was right here at home just outside the door. Being it is a small town I wasn't sure what the response would be and I was scared to death. I started planning in Feb of that year and was able to make 80 bears by Oct. I advertised in our local newspaper my first annual bear show and in a couple of the surrounding area newspapers, plus my husband and my mother in law put up posters I had made around town at various business's. My husband borrowed a couple of tables and in Oct I felt fairly good, I was unable to sleep the night before. Well the show/sale started at 10am ended at 2pm. I had people there at 8am one lady bought 10 bears. I sold a total of 35 bears plus I had people calling after to see if I had new bears. I also had people come by after the show ended because they had to work but wanted to see the bears and I did sell a few after closing. I had my second show/sale last year and sold 30 bears, 8 of them to the same lady that bought 10 the year before, and there were more people there the second year. I am planning on one in Oct again this year, as people keep asking if I am going to have one. I would like to do a spring show but I am not sure I am up to that. As I said I live in a small town and I have had great response.

Another idea is the fall festival type things. I have a friend who also makes bears this year even though I won't be there in person, I went half with her on a space up at Harvest Days in Sept , they have a big outdoor craft show, flea market , parade and all sorts of activities. The space costs 50.00 for 2 days, this is our first try at that but the celebration always draws huge crowds.

So if you are able to, have your own little show. I realize to that small towns are not like ebay or other shops and I priced my bears accordingly, in other words I did charge less then when I sell on ebay. It is a great way to get your name out there, locally at least. Plus it is so much fun meeting all the people.

Well I am terribly sorry to have rambled on and on, but I do think this is a wonderful option to at least think about. You can all wake up now I think I am done. I just had to share what I did when I didn't have many options. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Thank you all for putting up with me I will go back into my lurking hole.

Barb

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

No wait,don't go away,your input is very valuable and we never consider it rambling.Big bear hug welcome to you Barb,we are happy to have you post. bear_laugh You suggestions are all very wonderful and it's so nice to have another point of view with more options.I'm sure your small town just wait in anticipation for your yearly show.Great to hear from you.Hugs and blessings,Shari.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Welcome Barb! Thank you for your wonderful input. You have been lurking for far to long and now it is time for you to join us! bear_grin We love new people and new ideas. You sound like you have a great deal of knowledge and info to share so please come back!!!!!!

Hugs Louise and Garnet

clare14 Country Bears
England

Yes welcome Barb!!!   We'd love to see some of your bears!!!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Barb..welcome, welcome, welcome....please do not be a lurker any more. It will be lovely to get to know you. You have already helped with your wonderful information...no more lurking, you hear!  We need all our friends to join in and I'm sure we would all love to see your bears.
bear_original bear_original bear_original bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original bear_original  bear_original bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original bear_original bear_original

Jane

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Barb,
                      What a great story, you see everybody comes to-gether with different ideas ,so never ever feel you are rambling on. Welcome to the group by the way.

Hugs Rita xx

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yea!!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!Barb came out to play!!!

You would be surprised at how many of us are either disabled or struggeling-oh no you wouldn't because you have been LURKING :lol::lol::lol:

Now in all seriousness.....since you have been outed so to speak, please stay, please play with us....

By the way I think your idea is great!  Really great!

And is probably doable if the small town has money-(ours doesn't since the main industry is methamphetamine production- but there are church bazzars etc.....

I am gald you are here

Dilu

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hi Barb and WELCOME !!!

So nice that you have decided to join our group and already you have given us some valuable information.
I used to know a lady who did floral arrangements that way and she would decorate her entire house for people to go thru and buy whatever caught their eye.  She was like ...'a happening' ... that everyone waited for each fall.  We moved away, but I am sure she is still going strong.

Your post comes, just after I read a post by Shelli  about ways to get the collectors' interest back to bears.
This is a wonderful idea.
Thanks for your input.
Nanc.........

Be a lurker, NO MORE!!!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Welcome Barb!!!  What a fantastic post!  There are a lot of us out there, who are in your situation.

Good on you for having a go, and being such a fantastic success!

Thanks for sharing.
Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Welcome Berb !
Thank you for posting your story and giving us valuable information.
Please stay with us and have a fun fun fun. bear_laugh bear_laugh
I'm glad you joined us :lol:

Bear Hugs/Marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Welcome Barb :D

I think it's a great tribute to your bears that you do so well in a small community!
Great idea.

And DO NOT disappear back into lurkerdom. We need your insights!

Eileen

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Barb and welcome to the group.  Your story was very inspiring !!  I am excited that your private shows are going so well.   I can't wait to see pictures of your creations !

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

such good info!  I guess i just need to keep making and have a goal like a craft show and a deadline and things will be ok...I am too hard on myself, thats all bear_original  thank you for your suggestions

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Barb and a big welcome

Many thanks for sharing - how you sell your bears.
What a wonderful way of promoting your Bears by having your own "Bear Show" and then selling
so many. I think that this is a great idea.
Good luck with future Bear Shows.
We look forward to hearing from you again.

Bear hugs
Carolyn

www.draffinbears.com

bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Barb, welcome to you.  What great ideas you offered.  And what an anxiety-producing event to have planned as a one-woman show.  You must be terribly brave; seriously.  Sleepless or not, what an achievement.

It's a wonderful idea to stage small shows -- with pricing adjusted accordingly -- just to stir up interest (and make some cash, let's be honest, too.)  Maybe there are ways to even do a "neighborhood" type event, for those in nearby cities.  Or even something state-wide -- the Michigan Teddy Bear Event?  Who knows?

I'm not much of an organizer or event planner so I'm way out of my league here.  But such a great idea.

I'm glad you came out of hiding and welcome you warmly to the board.  Don't go anywhere, because when it comes to teddy bears, it's ALL valuable input.

gogo1 Posts: 16

Hi all, I had put up a couple of bears last year and now can't get any up at this site. I put some in auction in Australia which was fun. But I did enjoy this site more with all the invaluable information from everyone. Hope all had good holidays? Thanks Anita (gogo1)

K P Bear K P Bear
Lewiston

I think it is a beary good idea. I have to put some thought into that one. We have got field days here and I may have to ask 2554.gifabout that one. Thank you for your input it is all good. So please stay and talk.
Lena

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

That is a wonderful idea and it's so great it was successful for you . I have thought of doing an Open house type of show myself. Welcome to Teddy Talk! Keep on posting!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Barb a very warm welcome to TT it is lovely that you have come out of the closet and posted ..... what great idea's you have put up. I think you are one very brave lady to do a one man show. Thank you for sharing and don't be a lurker anymore.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

rofl - didn't realize this was a zombie thread  bear_grin

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Barb, We're practically neighbors! (Elmhurst)
What spunk you showed - great idea!

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

That sounds like quite an effort-80 bears!Someone suggested to me that I try something like this at Xmas-"Christmas with the Bears"My husband has antiques for sale and they are here in our home but no one really "knows"that we do this.Our town is not large but no one seems to be interested in artist bears.There are other parts of Ontario where there is a great following and lots of fun but it's very minimal in my area.(Unless Andrea wants to do this with me!!!LOL! bear_grin )We thought we could arrange the bears atop the antique furniture-which is where they are now.As soon as I figure out how to send pictures, I will send some.I usually go to Teddy Bears on Vacation for the Xmas show but competition there is really stiff so perhaps on my own (or with Andrea!!LOL! again!)it might work better.My confidence is very low right now though.

Board footer