Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

You all were so helpful with the glue question, I thought I would pose another one.  I like to use glass beads in the bottom of the feet on my self standing bears.  Can I needle felt into the bottoms of the feet that have glass beads in them?  I'm not sure if that will also make a difference in their ability to stand.  Will I need to be careful to balance out the needle felting?  Then I ask myself why would you needle felt onto a foot that is going to be standing.
Thanks for any help.
Donna

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hi Donna, I have heard of glass beads being used for weighting needlefelted items only, I have not tried this as yet.  I would assume that you would need to have them  bound up in something and then enclose wool around it before you begin any felting.

Would like to hear of others opinions on this as well.  bear_original

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Donna, wouldn't really work. The felting needs to adhere to the backing and the filling.

So if you just put a layer is polyfill BEFORE the glass beads, you won't have any issue. The needle won't break if and when it hits the glass beads. I just did that exact same thing on a bunny I just made, so I know it works.

Show us pictures...........................LOL

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Thanks Heather,
Will a nice thick layer of polyester quilt batting cut to the shape of the footpad work?  I want it fairly flat.  Did your bunny self stand?
Donna

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Donna

I hope I'm not too tired to understand your question.....but I use glass beads and when I want to needle felt the bottom paw pads I use batting (tons left over from quilting) I cut up little pieces and stuff it in then add the glass and then finish stuffing....the cotton batting gives me something more than glass beads to felt into.

n090.gif

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I just finished a bear with weighted feet and needlefelted toes.

I needlefelted the toes onto the pawpads and footpads before attaching them, actually before cutting them out--it really helped to have a surface to work on that was larger than a single footpad, and doing them all together helped me to keep the toes even and consistent.

And I didn't stab myself so often bear_laugh

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sorry Donna, just read your question now

A thin layer of batting would work fine. As long as there is something a little thicker than the mohair.

Yes, my bunny does stand, but it took some balancing from the felted toes to do so.

Give it a go! I can't wait to see what you've come up with!
PM me if you have any more questions

Board footer