Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

sarahjane Brisbane

Just wondering ...for those of you that pluck the muzzle of your bears, do you pluck before or after stuffing, and before or after sewing? I am just curious really as I have done it all ways and don't find any of them particularly easy.

I was wondering if one way was better than another.  :doh:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I do after I sew the head together and after I stuff... I have a spare tweezer (that I use to pluck my eyebrows) that I use specifically for my bears  bear_thumb

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

I do both ways.  Sometimes before... sometimes after. I always try a practice piece first out of a scrap & then go from there. I also do the same if I use my electric razor.
TTFN
Amy

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

When I first starting making bears, the thought of plucking before sewing and stuffing scared me terribly.  I had no idea how much I would need to pluck!

Now I pluck faces on all my bears, so I know how much to take off.  I find pucking before I sew, after it's cut the best way.  This way you don't get yucky hairs left in the seam, I also find it comes out of the backing much easier before it's sewn.

Hope this helps!
Danni

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I do mine after stuffing...but then again I only pluck the nose area. I use tiny pliers to pluck the hairs..I find that my tweezers are too hard to grip and then it takes ages but my little pliers do the job easily.

I would be very scared to pluck or clipper before sewing and stuffing as I can't see how I'd know what bits to pluck till I see the bear almost complete....what if I wanted more fur on the face and I'd already plucked it?

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I pluck after the stuffing too with tiny hemostats :). I just never know how much I will pluck before stuffing. In fact I pluck little by little, an pluck more when I put the eyes on for example.
Bear hugs,
Marion  :hug:

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

Yep - I'm with the others - pluck after stuffing....................
Sounds like bad advice for the Christmas Turkey........... :crackup:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Chowlea Bears wrote:

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I have not done much plucking but I have tried it both ways.  I have found that it can be difficult to get the hairs in the seam to I try to pluck that area beofre sewing...but not too much as I don't want to go too far.

sarahjane Brisbane

Sounds like bad advice for the Christmas Turkey........... crackup

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I think I might try a little of both and do the seams before sewing ( I hate trying to get those pesky little hairs out of the seam!!!!  :twisted: ) then the rest after stuffing as I never know how much I'm going to pluck.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Hi Sarah
I do the same as the rest...I stuff first then pluck...I do this because I never know what will look best on the finished bear...if you pluck it all out then realise you wanted hair!!!  yikes! Can't put it back!
I always trim the seams tho as this gives a really good finish.  I think that plucking is easier once the bear is stuffed too as the fabric is taut.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA
Chowlea Bears wrote:

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I trim my seams around the muzzle before sewing. It makes neater seams that way. But I wait until I stuff to see what really needs doing. I'm known for changing my mind. (big grin)

Wendy

Board footer