Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

clare14 Country Bears
England

I'm lucky to have been treated to a new sewing machine by my husband - one of the Brother Computerized ones. bear_tongue  I'm finding some of my stitching seems to stitch a few stitches fine them do some really looooong stitches for some unknown reason??

I don't suppose anyone knows what I'm doing wrong do you??   I've done everything they've said in the manual - but to no avail...........

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Clare
there are several things that could cause this

1.  are you using the same thread in the bobbin as you are stitching with?
   ( you don't have to, but if the thread in the bobbin is thicker, heavier duty than regular sewing thread you will need to adjust for this.  I keep one bobbin holder that I can tighten or loosen the screw on just for this reason.

2.  check your needle- a dull needle or a needle that has burrs on it from hitting pins while sewing can cause this

3. Check your tensions-  take a scrap of the same fabric and start by using the tension where it is now, then every inch or sew tighten the tension until you hit something you are satisfied with

2 and 3 are the easiest fixes- try them first.

OH another biggie

is your machine clean?  take off the plate and take out tyhe bobbin and check inside.  If you are primarily sewing mohair it will get dirty really fast-  so check and clean.....this could be the only problem and is by far the easiest for you to fix.

good luck

can't have you out of the action

Dilu

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Congrats on the new machine. Your Hubby adores you I can tell. I am not a machine person and I wish you luck. Dilu is so very knowledgable and I am sure there are many others on this forum that will have ideas for you to.

Hugs Louise

You have a good Hubby!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Clare,

How neat that you have a new sewing machine - wonderful.
If you have not been able to work it out from the manual  and have turned all the knobs and buttons - the best thing I would suggest is to taking your machine back and get them to give you a demo.
Myhusband bought me a Bernina for Christmas last year and the Lady at the shop was very helpful
and just gave me a demonstration which was helpful, as a lot of the newer machines
can be complicated to operate.
good luck and hope that you get it working well.

Bear hugs
Carolyn
www.draffinbears.com

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Clare,
It sounds like the timing is off on your bobbin so I would take it back along with a sample of the fabric that you are sewing on. Also make sure you have threaded the bobbin case correctly in the direction indicated
Hugs
Gail

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Gail, now I know whom to turn to with my sewing questions.  (And you, too, Dilu!)

My machine is very, very basic (it goes ON and OFF; that's about it) and I recently humiliated myself when I went to the shop and asked them to show me how to attach the zipper foot.  How's THAT for a total lack of machine know-how?  Luckily, once the thing is put together and someone has shown me how to operate it, I do somehow manage to use it to stitch up some cute little bears. bear_happy  But that's the extent of my sewing machine know-how; the straight stitch.  I can do both backward and forward!

What, by the way, is the "timing" of the bobbin?

Shelli

how fast the bobbin thread feeds out in conjunction with the top thread.  Usually just takes a tiny tiny tiny twist of the screw on the bobbin case one way or the other....the thickness of the thread  play a large part in this....You al know how to check if the tension is right?  Right

Put your thread in the case and then hold the bobbin case up by the thread...you should have gentle m,ovement when you give the slightest movement to your wrist.

One caveat:  the bobbin cases have tiny screws and it doesn't take much to really muck things up- also they have a built in life span and can't take a lot of turning or loosening. 

So be very very careful if you decide this is the problem-  the tiniest turns the tiniest bit you can imagine is sometimes all it takes

This is why I have several bobbin cases ( they aren't expensive) for machine embroidery, regular sewing, fine heirloom sewing etc.

I always try the easy things first- cleaning,....especially when using mohair....it is very lint making-as is black worsted wool

Now....and I hesitate to tell you guys this, but and your machine technician will probably have a fit, ( a. he wants the business and b, you really do have to be very careful):

I have computer chip machines as well as old faithfuls that are one step above the treadle model- I use canned air, but you have to be very careful. I always blow from the back of the machine- away from any of the electronics.....always away!

Canned air is a Godsend.

Also, and this you can all take with a grain of salt, even the supposed high end electronic models still need a tiny touch of machine oil in the bobbin case....:/  Even the ones that tell you they are never oil.....go figure

Also get to know your machines you guys-  unless you hand sew...then get to know your hand..:lol:..my machine is my second best friend ( after Mr. Understatement ) I would be so very lost without it.

I take mine apart when I first get them....watch it sew without some of the covers on it, I need to know what happens when and where....because invariably it will gum up or get threads caught up in the mechanism somewhere the night before a wedding dress is due....( I HAVE HAD THAT HAPPEN and it is gut wrenching heart stopping vomit producing horror!)

I figure if I can keep my tools in tip top shape sewing will be easier and the machines are my number one tools.

Then scissors

worst fight we had was when I caught him with a pair of my scissors.  He was pretending he was going to cut wire.....I didn't know he was teasing!

And his grandmother was a seamstress too!

he used to tease her too-poor lady

So I solved the problem- I bought him a bunch of Fiscars orange handled ones-  they are all over the place and he is a happy guy again.

Just in case any of you have scissors thiefs in your household!

Actually for teddy making I think a basic 1970's style Japanese model that has straight and zig is the best.  I wish I still had my old Riccar.....sigh :(

too many ladies have bought into the idea that they can't fix their machines or take care of them.  YOU CAN DO IT!  you can....learn....

find a good repair place and have them show you...It could save you heart ache the night before Christmas when all through the place
your machine is so broken and Ted has no face
You'll remember this post, with rue I suspect
and wish you had studied more on this subject

As tears build up in your eyes and then fall
on mohair so lovely and luscious and all
you can think is how perfect Teddy
would be were he finished
and under the tree.
:lol::lol::lol:

Dilu bear_tongue

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I will have to reread this to digest all the useful tidbits contained therein.  Thank you!  I am a machine dodobird.  You will help me get beyond that!

Cute poem, by the way... !

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Dilu...you can't fool us...we know it's your Golly's the take care of your tools bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

clare14 Country Bears
England

Guys, I don't know what I would do without you!!   Thank you all, Dilu:D, Carolyn:D, Louise:D, Gail:D, and anyone I've forgotton!!!   I have since sewn a bear with perfect stitching - WONDERFUL!!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Clare,
                 I too have a Brother computerized machine ,but I do not use it for sewing Mohair. I bought a 2nd hand old Singer Machine ,got it serviced and I have sewn all my bears on this one for about 7 years now. Just the fact that it is computerized ,one small hair getting in the works  might be enough to put it in to a mixed up state .It was advice given to me by a Sewing machine expert . A thousand pounds or more is a lot of money to ruin it with mohair.

Hugs Rita xx

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Rita,

You're so right!!   I'm so frightened I'll break it!!  I did make sure I said to the shop I bought it from that I would be sewing fur on it, and they said they sew fur on it too, but you know, are they just trying to sell it to me?!  I'm so gullible:rolleyes:

I have got a treadle machine (I love that!) and an electric Bernina, so if I find the problem continues I shall revert to them.   I'm not exactly very knowledgeable on sewing machines, that's probably more the problem!!   I've always sewn by hand, but am enjoying making bigger bears at the moment so the sewing machine comes in handy.   I'll get it in the end.................;)

I think you are both right.

Your brother should be fine- it is a good company- and i sew on mohair on my computerized machine- but Rita is right too-for what we do here an old workhorse would be just fine.  I do reccomend you get one with the zigzag as well as straight stitch-something from the 60's-70's should be great. and the neatest thing, they don't cost much.  Depending on where you are I would think less than $100.00

Shantell-oh aren't you funny - have my wee wollikins been calling you up and telling tales?
Don't you know- you can't always believe a gollikin- especially if they have twinkly eyes. bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Great advice, everyone! :D

I've been longing to try machine sewing mohair, but so far I'm too chicken:(

I've got an antique treadle--sews beautifully, but only a chain stitch, which I don't trust for bears, because one snag and the whole thing comes undone. I've also got an old White with zigzags, and I've used it for everything from sheers to denim slipcovers.

My one attempt with mohair was a semi-disaster. Even with pins and alligator clips, the layers slid all over one another, and I had to bear_angry rip.

How do you secure the layers really really well? Or could my feed-dog be out of commission? I'm not sure what to do. Help!

Eileen

Eileen

Hmmmmm  I am puzzeled.

I frequently do not pin the large pieces except once or twice a side and don't have slippage.....and this is mohair that I have doused with hair conditioner.

So.  lets look at a couple of things.

1.  if you are having slippage, look at what kind of pins you are using, are they big ( long ) enough to hold your fabric and how close do you put them
       While getting used to sewing on mohair I placed my pins, (really long scarry psycho pins they were for quilting and are about 2.5-3" long) every inch to inch and a half

That left plenty of room to slip them out before the needle hit them.  ( always a good idea.....the timing of the machine doesn't like pins getting stuck down inside the bobbin mechanism  ;)

2.  When I sew real fur I use big paper clips.....they hold well because there is 2 pressure points with every clip-  they hold deep into the fabric because they are so long and they slide off easily.

why not try that method for your first go-round at machine sewing.

When all else fails there is basting.....I hate basting so much that I simply insist everything go right.

My caveat.....I do stop machine sewing about an inch before the tip of the nose on both sides.....and I do hand sew that area.....noses are sew important and it is easier than ripping.

Also check what size stitch you are using.....you can have a really big stitch like a 4 or 5 and pretend it is basting.....then if you need to make changes it is easy to ull the stitches out of the little area you want to change. bear_original  Then when you sew again you can make your stitches smaller.

If you aren't used to machine sewing mohair give it a go on some scraps to be sure your tensions are what you want and your stitches are what you want.

let us know how it goes!

Dilu bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Dilu :D

I think it's quite possible that both my pins and my alligator clips and my stitches are too short. I think I need more practice.

I'm working on a 1" very curly mohair that's slick as a whistle. Unfortunatly, I cut out the little brute's pieces so so efficiently that (I swear) all I've got left for scraps are tiny snips here and there. It was tight!

That said, the machine is so much faster that I'll hang in and practice. And practice. And practice . . . :lol:

Eileen

thats the spirit ;)

dily

clare14 Country Bears
England

Have you seen 'Basting a bear with Staples' in Tips and Techniques??   I think bear_rolleyes Laura posted some photos showing how it's done.   It makes basting a breeze, and then the staple unbaster tool removes them - it's brilliant!!   I use mine all the time!!:)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks Clare :D

I had seen that. I'd just totally forgotten! bear_ermm I 've even got a tool somewhere that removes them safely--originally designed for upholstery!

Eileen

BethBear Posts: 27

I used to work for a Bernina dealer and have two computerized machines that I have been sewing bears (mohair) on for 15 yrs.  I have never had a problem with "fur" in the chips, etc.  Here are some general tips I learned from my boss:

Change the needles VERY frequently.  She advised every 5 hrs of sewing.  Needles are cheap compared to machine costs.  80/12 general sewing needles are large enough to handle bear sewing.

Never leave the machine by an open window.  Moisture can do damage to metal parts.

Always use canned air to blow out your machine.  Get one of the straw fixtures on the can so you can aim the dust out, not back inside the machine. 

Use a small soft brush (probably in the machine kit) to clean lint from under the feed dog (  the little thingie with teeth that carries the fabric through the machine).  Mohair caught under will almost felt.

I know Berninas have to be oiled.  To do it properly, you need to carefully remove the bobbin case and the hook (if you model has one).  Clean the hook race, add only a drop of oil.  Disperse oil onto race.  Ask your dealer to show you how to do this.

Best case:  Have your dealer clean, check bobbin tension each year.

Beth-

don't forget that needles can be bought in bulk- and then they are even cheaper.. 2 years ago I bought 100 80/12 for $20.00

I'm gettting down there and w8ill start looking for a sourse again.

But when you have a hundred needled under your belot it is so much easier to change them than when all you have is 5 on a card.

Dilu

Dilu,

Geez, I wish I could luck into a deal like that.  Be sure that the needles are the correct ones for your machine.  Singer compatible needles do not fit Bernina, Viking or I think, Pfaff.  I don't know about Brother.

Hugs,
BethBear

Uh Yeah Beth.....been sewing all my life-and professionally tooo, so I'll make sure I get the right needles...:)

I prefer Schmetz for quality-tho I know some people like the Klasse.

I will post the site if I find any good deals Ladies.

PS  Boy my head was bad last night-  I can tell by the typos. from previous post.  Yikes.  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Today  hoooray!  no pain!  i don't care if there is no gain when there is no pain.

hugs

Dilu:D

clare14 Country Bears
England

I'm so glad you feel better today Dilu:D

Sorry Dilu!!!!  Ya never know when you work retail what even the most experienced sewers will come up with.  I agree completely in that I buy Schmetz needles most all the time.

BethBear

Board footer