Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

That is the question... bear_tongue
I know that there are many that offer a layaway plan with their ebay auction. The auctions that I have observed tend to achieve a higher price for them. Again, some of them are very popular artists that can afford to offer the layaway but would probably get the higher prices anyway.
Anyhow..... You have probably already guessed what my dilemma is. I am kicking around the idea of offering layaway with my auctions. I have been a bit scarce from auctions lately and had wondered if it might increase some bidding and the effort to get my name "out there". If you catch my drift.....
I live in west Texas where it is almost impossible to find any shows in my area. So my only source of selling is on the internet. My town is fairly good size of around 100,000 population. But if I was to tell anyone about a artist made mohair bear, they reply is generally, "Oh, I ser' <yes...ser'> that teddy making store over yonder <in Dallas> at the Mall...! So locally is almost impossible  bear_grin
So, to layaway or not to layaway. What is the consensus? hummmm?
Thanks  bear_flower

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I can't say about internet sales but when I had a bear shop it was very popular. I was fairly relaxed about time etc and mostly it worked well. It could make a difference and I would be interested to hear what others have to say.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I've never tried it on Ebay..and don't know how it would work for you...but certainly layaway...though not always ideal...is good to keep the sales flowing...

I do mine over 3 months..I don't like it over any longer...that said I would suppose it would depend on how much money was involved.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

When I've had a very high bid win on eBay, the Buyer had  asked in advance if I'd use a 2 - 3 month lay-away. In approving it, they confidently pushed that tally over $500. I checked first: their Feedbacks were great, from other artists I know, so I approved and they were all paid on time.

I'd request at least 1/3 at the auction's close, w/the other 2 payments due at monthly intervals. I know that it made a difference in attaining bids over $500.

Bobbie

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Roxanne,
This previous topic↓ might help you .  :hug:
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=513

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I've never done layaway on ebay, but I have done layaway with my teds in the past and its worked beautifully.  It helps people get my teddies that often can't afford the full amount at one time.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Roxanne,  bear_flower
Layaway?  Most certainly, yes!  It allows more collectors the chance to own one of your lovely bears.  When I sold on eBay, I used to write something like this in the text:  Layaway available.  Please contact me for details before placing a bid.  That way you can check their feedback as Bobbie suggested.

Another upside of doing layaway....it extends your budget when you take some time off.  I've never had a  problem with any collectors not coming through with payment.  Most times the collector is so anxious to receive their bear, they pay well in advance of the last payment due date.  It's always been a win/win for me.  I highly recommend layaway. 

Great topic by the way!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi Roxanne, I have always offered layaway for my dolls.
I require 1/2 down at time of purchase and 1/2 due in 30 days
for any creation over $200.
I use to offer a 3 month but that seemed to be to long, I ran out
of room to store the layaway dolls.
Hugzzzzzzzzzzzz

Board footer