Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I hope you all can help!  I have my Aunt's and my Grandmother's wedding dresses.  I want to make a wall hanging, pillow, potpourri thing for my aunt, cousins and second cousins.  I have copies of their wedding pictures and I want to transfer them to fabric and then use the fabric from the wedding dresses to make these little mementos.  My question is what is the best method of transferring the picture to the fabric?  I have a HP PCS 1610 All-in-One Printer that my husband can not get the scanner to work.  I am not that knowledgeable on the computer but could get hubby to break away from the new pump he is playing with just long enough to help.
Then my second question is:  Do I applique the picture transfer onto the front fabric of this pillow thing and cover the edge with lace or gathered netting from the dresses or do I do a log cabin quilt effect around the picture transfer from the fabric from the wedding dresses.  Or do I just play around and see what happens?  I don't have extra fabric to be wasting so whatever I do, it needs to be something that will work.  There are two great grandsons that are not married (one is my son, so he is not a problem, really)  these are going to be pretty feminine.  Any ideas for just a man?
Start sending ideas, my Aunt has a birthday in Sept. and I hope to have hers finished for her birthday.  I know you all will come to my rescue with lots of brilliant ideas.
Thanks in advance,
Donna

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Donna
One way to transfer is using is to print it directly to fabric. They sell the fabric in packages just like printer paper and it prints in any printer, then you peel off the backing and you have a satin like fabric with the printer picture on it in an 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch size. I made a pillow for my Dad using his favorite picture of my Mother who passed away last June and it turned out quite nice. If you cannot get the pictures scanned into the computer, I am not sure how you would do it. Unless you took them to Staples or Office depot and they can scan them to a CD for you.
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Donna, I haven't done any transfer projects myself personally, but I've been fascinated with reading about them and have them on my "to do" crafting list.  I've even got a book -- a special edition of Somerset Studio called SOMERSET WORKSHOP (2006) -- which has an entire article on Photo Transfers, written by Olivia Thomas.  In it, Olivia covers the how-to's of several transfer options, including:

--Computer Generated Transfer to Fabric
-- Gel Medium & Laminate Transfers
-- Mending Tape Transfers
-- Acetone Transfers; and
-- Gel Medium Transfers

If you can't get ahold of a copy of the book, which covers these different transfer techniques over many pages (otherwise I'd scan them for you and post)... then you might try to Google each term separately, to find out more.

The website for GOLDEN artist paints/supplies also contains some information on the transfer process.  They sell a GEL MEDIUM which is often used in transfers.  Read more here:

http://www.goldenpaints.com/company/wha … ranskh.php
http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/transimg.php

Last, just in doing some web browsing, I came across this helpful website by an artist who uses transfers in his work.  His might not be the exact technique you ultimately choose to use, but it has some nice in-depth explanation that you might appreciate all the same.  I hope it helps fill in some blanks.

HOW TO  http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/acrylicgeltransfers.htm
PICTURES  http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/stepbystep.htm

Hopefully some of this will get you the information you need!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Picture-1.jpgDonna,
  That sounds like an absolutely LOVELY project!  I just bought some of this stuff to play around with and I can highly recomend it to you!  The kind I purchased is 100% silk.. which would be just lovely for a wedding themed pillow.  It's washable after heat setting the transfered pic with a hot/dry iron.  It's a very thin/slightly transparent silk. 

You would have to get that scanner working though!

As for the HOWS of making the pillow... I'm afraid I couldn't be of help there!   bear_ermm   I'd love to see some pics of the completed work when it's all done though!  If you have any questions about this brand, do feel free to PM me!  I got mine in the scrapbooking section of Joann Fabrics.

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Kim, That is the same kind I used for the pillow I described above. I actually used a premade pillow then stitched the photo onto the top after I printed it on the silk, then used a crocheted trim all around the picture. It turned out very nice and vintage looking
Sonya

Board footer