Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi, some of you may have seen this dog on TV but I thought I would share this report and image for those who missed seeing dear old Sam.

Sam, a 14-year-old pedigreed Chinese crested, was recently awarded the title of 'World's Ugliest Dog' for the third-straight year.

He is completely hairless covered from head to toe with warts and is also blessed with crooked teeth, extra long nails and a lump in the middle of his chest. His right eye is blurred from cataracts, his left eye is white.

Sam may not look like a king, but he's certainly treated like one. He eats gourmet meals and drinks only bottled water.

samdog8tc.jpg

What a special pooch he really is! How could we all not give him a big hug....ummmmmmmmmmmm!

Jane

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh my his is an old Chinese Crested!  My hubby's aunt has 2 Chinese Cresteds... she went to England to get one of them.  They are just the sweetest dogs... personality wise bear_original  but it is a bit like petting bologna bear_rolleyes  Ducky and Bunny (their names) usually wear sweaters anyways (she lives in Indiana)... so you pet the sweater LOL!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Laura,I'm LMBO,that's so funny,patting bologna bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin
Jane I love the chinese crested and for all Sam's short comings,I'm sure he is the sweetest dog and very well loved.We just went to the pet store this weekend because my kids wanted a hamster(our first) and they have "Skinny Pigs" ,have you seen them,same idea as a crested,no hair and wrinkled but they look like a miniature bald hippopotamus bear_grin God love the little things they shiver like they are freezing.Well I talked them out of those as they are expensive so we know have our first hamster. :)
Jane,I know I read that you were working on an orangutan(or am I dreaming) but I told my ten year old,and she would love to see a picture.She is monkey crazy right now and is poring over all my bear magazines looking for monkeys.Keeps her busy for a while anyway.I would also love to see a picture if you can.

Hugs,Shari.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

That scared me! it looks like a creature from the movie "Gremlins"

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Gremlins.jpgKim, this is just for you.  I understand COMPLETELY.  bear_laugh

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  See what I mean!!! I like my animals to be furry LOL

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Interesting history behind the Chinese crested... they were developed in China during the Plague.  The Plague was spread by ticks that rode around on rats.  The Chinese Cresteds were bred to hunt and kill the rats that carried the plague... and because they had no fur on their bodies... if they got any ticks from the rats the ticks could be destroyed immediately.

We have whippets though bear_original  Although not "fuzzy" they do have fur... like a greyhound, but 1/2 the size bear_original

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I like whippets!  anything "with" fur LOL - that is a very interesting tidbit of info!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_grin:lol: Jane, that dog looks as if he's been turned inside out!! He reminds me of a kitten I once fostered--bald from ringworm, both eyes infected, but no teeth to speak of . . . sheesh.

Eileen

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I agree that he's not a very attractive little beast...but the story that goes with him is heartwarming.  I heard an interview with the owner of this little dog and it was so encouraging to hear that someone was willing to take this poor critter in and love it as though it were the most beautiful animal around.  Apparently, he had been taken to several animal rescue places and none of them would take him because he wasn't "adoptable"...and when the lady found him (not sure where...perhaps the Humane Society...can't remember) they weren't going to adopt him out...but she insisted.  He has a bunch of health problems, is blind, etc.  One lucky dog....

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh poor wee thing....he doesn't look too lovable on the outside but its his spirit that counts, me thinks the photographer got the worse photo he could get ?
My little muffy is getting old now..she is 12 and many of her teeth have either fallen out or are gray. She has fish breath from the teeth so I  have to  brush her teeth  regularly and give her dental tabs for her tummy as well as breath. Then.. she is getting warts all over her , she also has some lumps to be removed....hopefully non cancerous.
Even so...stinky dog and all...I love her to death ,she is so sweet... always happy and
so talkative ( she is part snauzzer ) with her woo woos and woof woofs ..why she can almost speak people talk ! She has more personality than any dog I have ever known.
                                                                            .........Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yikes! he deserves the title!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

I can't resist... here's a link to some photos of CC's in good condition  ;)

Don't get me wrong... they are still a love it or leave it type of breed...

http://www.mohawkcresteds.com/gallery/Cresteds

Deb Upstate New York

Got hit HARD with the ugly stick!  Wow!

Deb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

YIKES!!!!! He looks evil!!!! Definitely could pass for one of those wild Gremlins.... NOT Gizomo!!! Even in the best of health they are a dog I could do without. Sorry! But I am so glad he is loved and spoiled.... it's the least he deserves for having to go around looking the way he looks. It's not his fault and he still has feelings, regardless of how awful he looks!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh my first reaction was YIKES that is one ugly dog, then I felt sorry for him.

I can understand why his owners love him so... I would imagine you could get a little  protective with him, him being so old and ugly LOL

At least they can still see he is ugly - they have entered him into the competition for at least three years LOL

Thanks for sharign!
Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Yep, The dog sure is an ugly one but of course he should be loved. Everyone man or beast deserves love in their lives.  The owner , during an interview on TV, said that she tells him he is going into a stud competition when she has entered him in the worlds most ugly dog competition. Oh well that must be a little bit of a moral booster for him...poor baby!
I have been laughing my socks off at the reactions of some of you to dear old Sam. I just think he was made that way especially for the kind owner to pour love onto him.

Jane

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Jane, Thanks for the pix of unmutilated Cresteds! :D

I have a question. Are the non-hairy parts just skin, or do they have a very short coat of some kind? Another question. Do the crests really grow as pictured, or are they trimmed? Amazing dogs.

And if Sam were mine, I'd love him to pieces!

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Yep, it's just skin...now who suggested making him a mohair coat! :):):):):):)
Yes the crests do really grow that way, they are just wacky doggies.

Jane.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Yes, it sure is one ugly doggy!
I saw him on the news over here and it is so nice that his owner loves him and he has
someone to care for him. Must get a lot of stares, when out walking the dog.
Neat that the owner is proud enough to enter him in the competition in the first place.

It makes my dog Heidi look beautiful - We have a Giant Schauzner who has just undergone
a small operation to have a couple of small lumps near her ear removed. She is about 9 years old
now and has bounced back and is healthy again - lucky they were not cancerous -
but had us all worried for a time.

Bear hugs
Carolyn.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Come to think of it, with a dog like Sam at your heels you could walk through the worst parts of any city in the middle of the night without fear. :lol:

Eileen

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

Hi Carolyn...Glad to hear that your dog Heidi is doing ok. I worry so much about my dogs getting sick and as my boy dog is blind I have to watch him all the time. Poor boy walks into things and gets himself stuck behind doors and stands facing the wall until we back him up. He feels safest whilst he lays by (or on) my feet. I never have room to put my feet down in front of me when I sit down.

Jane

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

he gave me a laugh and a fright lol...i sent him to my friends too, feel a bit guilty for laughing at the poor guy tho. my sister said that wouldn't it be scary waking up to him on your bed in the middle of the night lol
sarah

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Poor little Sam!!  I use Comcast's home page when I get on the internet and it had Sam's story a few weeks ago.  I watched a video of an interview with the dog's "mom" after it had won the "World's Ugliest Dog" contest.  Oh my, he is an ugly little creature, but I can understand his owner's attraction to him.  She was in isolation for cancer treatment for awhile and he was her only companion . . . they formed such a bond.  So, he has performed an outstanding deed, despite his looks.  Good on you, Sam!!

Board footer