Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Deb Upstate New York

Tips please on shipping outside the U.S.  How do you determine shipping costs?  Who is the best value (good price + reliable)?

Thanks much.  Umm ... I didn't search for this topic, so if you're aware of another post, please just point me there.

Deb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I am not the best; but this is what I do

I goto USPS official site and follow the directions and print up the customs forms-then almost invariably when I take the package into the local post office it is always $2-3 dollars cheaper than the USPS web site.....
go figure

Oh yeah I weight the boxes up on a small digital scale.

I kind of wish there were a more realiable site.

however I have a good idea what the costs should be now....because all my shopping except a quarterly trip to wallmart and groceries is done on line. bear_original

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Deb,

I don't know much about shipping internationally either.  It seems that each country has different rules.  I'm fortunate in that I live in a very small community so I know the folks at my post office and can go in and ask a bizillion questions and not have a huge line waiting behind me.  bear_original  I do believe there is a packet you can get from USPS about international shipping.  I've never had much luck with those digital scales...even for domestic shipping...seems like the postage is always different by the time I get to the post office anyway so I don't even try anymore. 

It's really not that hard...just more paperwork.  I think the other end has more hassle then we do with duty fees, customs, etc. 

Good Luck...

Shantell

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Hi there kiddo! I go on line for Canadian postal costs depending on package size etc. I would think the US postal would do the same. It helps me a great deal!!!

Many Hugs Louise

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi, I parcel up the bear and take it to get weighed at the Post Office and tell them where its likely to be going and they tell me the precise weight and cost.  I do not like to judge as I,d probably get it wrong anyway. Hugs Rita xxx

Board footer