Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

ginny Blankie Bears
East Chatham

bear_sad I am having a problem with some bears that have been stored on a shelf in a room with very little sunlight, but some dampness. Some mohair comes off on my hands and there are tiny yellowish hard specks on the shelf where the bear was sitting. I am afraid some sort of critter has entered my bears to "feed" off the mohair. Help!!? Any ideas out there? Ginny

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

c024.gif

OH THAT DOES NOT SOUND GOOD my dear !! I have been told by a lady that when ever I buy a old beaten up teddy to always put him in a baggie  sealed and put him in the freezer for a couple weeks and that should kill any bugs.  just in case there are any. c024.gif

Let me know how it works out
                                    Jodi Falk

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Ginny I would be putting my bears into a plastic bag and putting them in the freezer for 5-7 days this should kill any bugs in the bears... Then giving them a light brushing and placing them in a cabinet or putting lavender oil around them or cedar balls to help keep any other bugs away from them... I hope you have success with getting rid of these nasties...

ginny Blankie Bears
East Chatham

Thanks- will do! Ginny bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

a102.gif

Yikes!!!

Good luck getting rid of the unwanted kritters.....

c002.gif

golly hugs

dilu

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

What a shame! Do follow the other's instructions as it will halt the problem from getting any worse. I sugest that if you have any other mohair bears anywhere in the same room, even if they look ok, to give them the same treatment. It's always best to play safe.

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

ginny Blankie Bears
East Chatham

Good advice. I have located all the mohair bears in that room that are not in a cabinet. They are all going to get the deep freeze, but my freezer is too small to do more than one at a time...so it will take a while. (For some silly reason, my hubby need to freezer for food) Than I will do the others that are in the cabinet. So far, only three out of ten have issues. Since the room is a bit damp, I plan to not return any of the mohair bears to that room.
This is a great website-thanks for your help, everyone!! Ginny

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Ginny,
If you can't get them into the freezer, put them in plastic bags with mothballs.  If I remember correctly they should stay in the bag for two weeks.  After they come out of the freezer or the mothballs then the cedar will help keep them from getting attacked again.
Good Luck,
Donna

Stellajella Wien

Ginny, hiya, now first step I´d take is put hubby on a diet  :crackup: - gives you lots of space in the feezer.

I heard about the freezer thingie once already, another idea was, to put the teddy in a plastic bag and then smoke it with something :doh: - I´m trying to remember what it was. The idea was to poisen whatever lives in the teddy.

Good luck!

Gaby bear_flower

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Ginny how are you going with your bears?? I hope that you have success with getting rid of the nasties that are attacking your bears.

Board footer