Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I got a package from Beary Cheap today.  I had ordered a beginner's needle felting kit from them.  It has 4 needles, enough wool rovings in different colors for about 5 bears, and a really neat book that tells ya how to do it and has really great pictures!

For those of you, who like me were curious but totally in the dark, this is the all in one package to get to learn.  This book by Barbara Allen really explains the techniques much better than other books I had looked at. 

I watched a movie this afternoon FARGO and already have a head and two ears done, as well as a body.

It was about $36.oo US and that included the shipping and Beary Cheap is great to work with, like Intercal and they are pretty fast, considering where they are!

So if you are interested I highly recommend this product.

Hmmmmmm  now how much did they say my commission would be? :lol:

NOT :P

dilydaly

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I got the same book and a similar starter kit from Edinburgh.... Barbara Allen's book is fantastic!!

Felting can be almost as addictive as Teddy Talk so watch out!!! :lol::lol:

So, Dilu, I hope you'll post a picture when you're done your first felted critter!!

YOU BETCHA!!!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I bought the Barbara Allen's book from
Barbara self and yes, the book is fantastic!!
Also, Barbara is wonderful Artist.
She sell beautiful felt at her website too. :)
and her felted bear is soooo adorable !!!
http://www.cobwebcottage.co.nz/

PS. Dilu, please show me your needlefelt
bear !!! or golly !?

Hugs/Marie

Well GOLLYGEEWHIZZ MARIE!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING A GOLLY!

Ohhhh another challange!

Marie I will finish the bear today and will show a picture and also describe my mistakes and how I attempted to correct them.

Dilu

PS  Thank you for the link....I hope someone has black rovings-but I guess I could dye them....

HUGS!!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Dilu, if you're looking for some good roving, I get all mine at gnome sweet gnome.
http://www.gnomesweetgnome.com/main.htm
I find the prices cheap, and the lady is really nice. Also the roving is great and she sure does have black. I was always thinking, even with your sewn gollies, that you should try felting the hair on. Love that stuff!!
Heather

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I got Barbara Allen's book last winter when I wanted to try felting. I found it informative and it did give me a start. There are a lot of free resources on the net for felting and I just bought a pattern from Robert Ripperger for a felted polar bear that is absolutely fantastic. Haven't started yet but her technique is different and I think will give you an even better start in felting. If you google her you'll find pics of her work. She also gives workshops but is taking this year off to write a book on felting.
I have felted noses on bears but want to do more. I'm signing up for Judi Paul's course on felting faces cause she is the master (mistress?).

And I agree with Heather...felted hair would look great. I've just felted a mane on a lion.

Marion

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

How cool is that; a mane.  I never thought of that.  I've been wanting to add a shock of hair to a bear someday and couldn't figure a good way to do it without a lot of scary, careful trimming.  Now I know how! Thanks, Marion!

Wow!  Look at you guys- all these great ideas.....life is going too fast !!! HELP!!!  I can't get it all in.....

Too much fun

I should take Judi's class.....darn

I did find black rovings [color=blue- Marie [/color] So I am going to have to try a golly- this should be interesting.  I loved Barbara's web site and did buy some stuff....

Heather, thanks for your link- I will favorite them for next time.

Dilu

Board footer