Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dilu Posts: 8,574

You made that darling pup with the 4"long synthetic.......

Well I had some in the closet.....dug it out.....played around with a Ted Menten pattern and cut out a bear.

How did you do it.  It is sewn now and jointed, but I thought I would loose my mind trying to sew the openings together.....the hair was everywhere, all over the couch, the floor, me, in my nose, in my ears, on the sable cats.....HOW DID YOU MAINTAIN YOUR SANITY?

I found it in the shower drain, floating in the spa, in the birds water bowl
HELP!

Now that the limbs are sewn up I have to get the fur our from between the discs....should I have trimmed it first?  I am flummoxed! 

When I finish the face I will follow the rules.  (pictures) But I just
wondered.  How did you do it?  Cuz I am about nuts from this stuff! :P:P

Diloopy

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Wonkydoodle, you do make me laugh! The mental images that you painted with your words are so funny.
Trimming the fur from around the disks would be an excellent idea and then you can get the joints nice and tight. also trim the fur along the edge of the area that you are going to ladder stitch closed. Push the fur in the open gap of the ladder stitch area with your needle and this should make a big difference to you being able to close the seams.

Jane

ARRRRRGH

Should have read this before I finished jointing.  'Bout now I need one.  you guys figure it out....:lol::lol::lol:

Well she's put together.   she has a name.  She has eyes drying.  She has a nose drying.  And I even got her ears on.  no easy feat

I plan to do some embroidery on her ears and her name on her foot along with the date. 

But .......

BUT

The backing was really flimsy- even though it was a Schulte synthetic.  Goes to show you can't always tell by the 'names' 

Most def. the worst fabric I have delt with.  I once made a belly dancing costume for a client with 4 layers of chiffon.  THAT WAS EASIER!!!

Now on the positive note, her eyes will be mostly blue and I can picture her in my minds eye.....I think she will come out looking well, the way she should look, for the kind of bearikins that she is.....

Dilu

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hi Dilu....

I have been 'off network' for a few days...WOWHOWDY...have I ever been 'off network' bear_grin bear_grin

Sweetie, I can sympathize with you...That stuff was awful to work with.  When I finally emerged from my work room, I had fuzzy snow-woman.  Even my cat wouldn't come in the room with me!!  AND to add insult to injury, the maltese didn't reach reserve. bear_angry :(

I do have something to share with you about sewing with that stuff.

I always trim my seams first, which does help (some people do and some people don't, but I like to).  BUT....when I am cutting out the area that will be the closing seam, I make a small 'flange' there.  Then when I come to actually sewing the dog closed, I use two Priority Labels and pull the fur away from my would be seam...I hold it in place (away from the seam) with the labels.  It works great and gives you a nice 'clean' area to do the ladder stitch.

Dilu, I also use this technique to sew ears on.  I pull the fur away from the area that I am going to be attaching the ears and hold it away with small strips of cut Priority Labels.  It makes doing the ladder stitch for ear application soooooo much easier.

I use the labels because they hold much better than tape.  A word of caution tho....DO NOT use it on real fur.  It is so strong that it can rip the real fur off the hide. :(

Hope this helps and is there a picture of your completed "fuzz" ?

Nanc...........

Nancy I use a tape from the auto store which is like blue painters tape....I do not know what a priority label is....I'm confused.....

I don't normally trim my seams-I think I should have in this case....that would have been helpful

I didn't have any problem with the backing fraying or unraveling, I guess because it was a knit-but I dont trust the backing.
Of course I didn't think of that until it was too late.

I am actually thinking of getting somemore of this fabric and trying again; only with all the tips I have received from everyone-

It feels like a challange to incorporate the changes I want and the changes everyone has suggested and see what happens.....

My honey said he was getting new filters for the spa anyway....and if I can keep this poor frustrated cat away from it- she is bound and determined to bathe it.....yuck!

So I believe I will try again...after all my belly aching and moaning and complaining I have this urge to try again

AN I NUTS OR WHAT???

But before I change my mind I am ordering the fabirc now- have been bitten by the challange bug!

Dilu

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Good girl Dilu.The best things come when we try to improve on our process.I can't wait to see your new one and look at all you have taught us :D
Hugs,Shari,

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Nancy, nice to know you are putting those free USPS shipping labels to good use.  Dilu, Priority Labels are free at the post office, for use in mailing parcels using their Priority Mail service.  Tape, anything sticky, PAID FOR labels, would work just as well.  Cracking up here... bear_grin

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

You can actually order rolls of them online at usps.com!  as well as being a legal assitant (working for two lawyers and a paralegal) I also order office supplies.  best of all, they are FREE!!! I ordered a bunch of "flat rate" boxes to send my bears and they are free as well.... hey, if I can save $ on free boxes, I will!

Oh Oh Oh!!!  wait......have to go change......stop you guys!

OK now I get it

THOSE priority labels

Heaven help us if we ever have a postmaster general whose into teddies......

I have ordered boxes....

Oh my sides hurt, my tum hurts....oh be stilll my beating heart...

I don't know-it was like Nance was speaking Greek to me----a synapse lapse perhaps....

still roflmao

bear_tongue DILU bear_tongue

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hey...If the label fits...wear it!!!

Board footer