Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

(I'm taking the liberty of copying and pasting this excerpt from a post by Sue Ann, so we can find it later here; thanks, Sue Ann!)

"(Fabric paper is) put out by June Tailor and is just that . . . fabric paper that can be used in color ink jet printers and copiers.  It comes in cream and white.  There are two kinds . . . colorfast and not colorfast . . . but I always choose the colorfast, which is washable.  I have found it at Wal Mart and JoAnn Fabrics.  JoAnn probably sells it online, also.  I have a web address for June Tailor and they might sell it online, too.  www.junetailor.com  It's called Printer Fabric Sheets.  If anybody needs more info, just let me know.  This is what I've started making my tush tags with and it's perfect!!"

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

That is a great idea. Thanks Shelli for posting it here.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

TushTags.jpgI posted this in the General Discussion forum where it was introduced, but thought it should go here, too.  This is a sample of what my tush tags look like.  I rubbed fray check on them to see if the ink "ran".  The printer ink didn't smear, but the ink I signed with did smear a little.  Keep in mind I use colorfast fabric sheets.  I just print my design out as if I were using Avery labels (size 1" x 2 5/8", 30 labels to a sheet).  I cut along the long edge of the design, but leave the short ends with some "tabs" that I can use as a seam allowance.  Then I fold the "label" in the center and sew the tab ends into the seam.  Does that make any sense?  Of course you can design your tag however you wish.  My logo bear takes up a lot of room so that the text is very small.  I'm going to redesign it one of these days!

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks for the pics Sue Ann!!!!!  Love your tags.

Jill

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

For those in the UK, I just found this site: http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/ . They have cotton, silk and even voile! I'm thinking....it might be great for making clothes for minis, as well as the tags.... ;)

For the tags, is frey check on the edges enough or do they need a seam of some kind?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I don't seam mine, Helena, and they appear to work fine.  Thanks for the link - those papers sound great!

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Hi Shel,
Great tip, they worked perfect for me. Very professional looking & very beautiful with my adorable logo.  ;)
~ Sandy

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

OK, thanks Sue Ann....I've ordered some of each type of fabric and I'm looking forward to trying it out. This paper is a great tip!

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Gina thanks for the link!

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Just posting a follow-up....I bought some of the fabric paper from http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/ and it arrived quickly....I bought the A5 size, so it wouldn't be so costly if I made a mistake :P. I printed on it with no problems, removed the backing & rubbed fray check on as suggested by Sue Ann, and am now the proud owner of tags for my bears!!! I'm very pleased with the results, they are just what I needed.

Thankyou to everyone on this thread!!! Without TT I might never have known about this product!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Very interestingfran

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Helena - I've just looked up the site you mentioned in the UK for fabric paper for labels - which material did you find best to use for labels for your bears?  The site is full of ideas and I'd love to try out some labels that way too, just not sure which fabric to try first!  Is fray check necessary on them?

Thanks
Catherine

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Catherine, I've only used the cotton fabric for labels so far. The others look too light-weight and will probably frey more. I rubbed the back of the printed cotton with fray check before cutting the labels out and they work just fine. Oh, and the fray check I use is...well...the stuff called 'fray check'! Comes in a little bottle and is a clear liquid. You can probably find some on eBay if you don't already have some (though the more glue-like stuff would probably work too???).

Antwerp, Belgium

Thanks Helena - can you see the fray check at all once you've applied it? 

Catherine

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

No, the fray check just disappears as it dries! bear_grin

Antwerp, Belgium

great thanks Helena, can't wait to try out the paper - going to see first if I can find it here in the shops tomorrow.

Have a good weekend,
hugs
Catherine

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I got my fabric paper from crafty computers thank guys. but it was expensive$40 AUD for 6 sheets and thanks for the link on make it your self Thanks Cina

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

To make your own fabric computer paper:
1. Fabric - i use muslin
2. Printer
3. Computer
4. Freezer Paper
5. Hot Dry Iron
6. Fray Block or Fray Check

Coat fabric with fray check, let dry.
Cut out Freezer paper to the correct size ( here in the US 8.5" X 11" or 8.5" X 14")
With a hot dry(no steam) iron press the shiny side of the freezer paper to the fabric.
I press from the back side of the paper.
Cut the excess fabric away from the freezer paper, using good SHARP shears.
Place in printer so that the fabric will be printed on.
Cut out your design and viloa! You have you design on fabric without having to pay $6.00/package for only 3 sheets.

Mom uses this to create custom ribbons.

I think I am going to try this for my tags. I will get a waterproof marker and sign after I print them out.
I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Jared

Antwerp, Belgium

that sounds really interesting Jared - do let us know how you get on with it for your labels :)

Hugs
Catherine

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Jare. do you spread the fray check all over the fabric ?  And do you like paint it on ?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Great tips and links everyone!

I worked in a quilt shop when the printable fabric sheets first came out. We couldn't keep them in stock!

So, to give you a few other ideas of what to do with that fabric paper....

Print your favorite pictures on it, cut out, back with a hoiday fabric to make christmas ornaments

Using your favorite teddy picture print on a full sheet then make into a pillow with coordinating fabrics for border and back

Make a wall hanging quilt using blocks of pictures alternated with blocks of coordinating fabric or your favorite quilt pattern

I'm thinking hang tags would look neat made of tea stained fabric paper, allowing the edges to fray a bit then laminating. Would give them an old look yet preserve them

So many ideas, so little time.....

Isn't the combination of our creative imagination and technology wonderful???

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thanks Daphne for sharing your  tips it starts the mine going i just thought of one now print your christmas picture on and you could make place mats and laminate them for christmas dinner .any on else got any more ideas may be we should start a topic on fabric paper idea  what do you think Daphne.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL
jazzyrags wrote:

Jare. do you spread the fray check all over the fabric ?  And do you like paint it on ?

I spread the fray check all over the fabric with a brush, just pretend that you a painting.

I have yet to moment to try the whole fray check thing.

Been busy with school work.
Exams are this week and then I just answer eval questions the following week.
time flies when you're having fun.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Gina thanks for the link to Canadian Living. I'm going to try the freezer paper trick. It sounds like a no mess way of doing it.
Wendy bear_thumb

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

I bought some of the cotton sheets from Crafty Computer Paper a few weeks ago. I have some embroidered tags that I use on my bigger bears, but someone suggested using these cotton sheets so I can print out my own tiny tags for my miniatures. I have yet to use them though!

Board footer