Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

TeddyB Posts: 83

Hello everyone bear_flower
  I want to learn how to make Teddy Bears and would like to know where to begin? I have a carol's zoo pattern and I have made 1 bear from that pattern and would like to know of other patterns for a beginners. Does anyone know of a Teddy Bear class being offered in Texas?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

First, I'm thrilled you want to learn this wonderful addiction!!! Brace yourself.... you are likely to fall in love with the first bear and be hooked on bear making right from the start!!!

There are many wonderful books out there, most available on Amamzon.com.... I highly recommed authurs such as Nancy Tillberg "101 Bears to Make" and Jennifer Laing. Bear making suppliers such as Intercal, Edinburgh Imports and Sierra Meadow Bears offer these books as well as video tapes/DVDs of instructional material so you can SEE the process.

You will also want to take advantage of the tips and techniques forum here on Teddy Talk http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewforum.php?id=8 as well as the Library which is a drop down menu at the top of every page... it's right above your first post here on the left.

As for workshops in TX.... where in TX do you live? We have a few memebers here who live in Texas who might be able to point you in the right direction. Bear making workshops aren't as common as say a quilting or knitting class so you might have a hard time finding one. There is a website, run by Nanacy Tilberg, that offers fantastic online bear making classes! http://www.kranbearys.com/EbearZ/index.htm

Good luck and Welcome!!
:hug: Daphne

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hello! I can't help with the Texas bit but I can tell you how I started. I made cuddly toys from patterns in my nans magazine but it was buying Jenniffer Laing's The Art of making teddy bears that started me off. Not a bad beginners one. I would say a two part body pattern helps at the start. Also someone will be able to tell you about the online courses they do. Good luck!

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

If you have made a bear from the Carol's zoo pattern, you are ready to move up.  I do believe you will find a lot of patterns on Intercal's site.  If I'm not mistaken, they rate them according to skill level.  Also, if you are interested, I think I have a few patterns that I will not use.  They are from my days before I began to design my own.  You are welcome to them if you would like.  Just let me know, and I'll send them out to you.  I know I have one pattern for a 30" bear that I have never even used.  It looks like it will make a really cute bear.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi again, Marian.  If you are in or close to Plano, there is a lady there that gives lessons.  She is Ginny Kenney and I will PM you with her phone #/email address.

TeddyB Posts: 83

Thank you so much for the information I really appreciate it.
Millie I would appreciate that, what information do you need from me?

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Marian,
All I need from you is your mailing address and I will get the patterns sent out to you.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Also, our very own SueAnn has posted a pattern and instruction of her own "Goldie".   Here's a link to the pattern AND the classroom where you can ask her or anyone for that matter a  question regarding that particular pattern.

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewforum.php?id=42

What an awesome way to learn directly from the artist herself!!!   Even though I've made a few bears now...I'm considering making one.

Hugs,
Shantell

P.S.  And you can of course ask ANY question...someone will either direct you to a previous post about it OR answer your questions.  Don't be afraid to ask ANYTHING...no question is a silly one...trust me...I've asked  some real doozies in the past   :redface: :crackup:   :redface:

K Pawz Guest

You will be hooked...but just in case I have two beginner books listed on eBay right now...just click on my eBay link under my avatar....I would also recommend Nancy's book, and try to see if your local book store has Australian Bear Magazines.... Oh yeah and Nancy offers begginer bear workshops at the bear university....google search North Country Teddy Bears, and look under online classes....
hope this helps,

Hugs,
Krista

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi!  I live in Texas too - Austin.  If you are close by, we are trying to get together for a bear class in a couple of weeks.  If you are near Houston, I'm going to be doing a class over there the 6th and 7th of October.  I also know an artist in San Antonio that you might could get together with for a class.  Hopefully between all of us, we'll be able to help you out.

Luann

Board footer