Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

As many of you know, I lead a small group of women, at all levels of bear making, in a monthly bear club.

We're looking for another bear club, anywhere in the US or world for that matter, to buddy up with and challenge, swap, learn and share our bear love with. Because we're a small group (4-6) and don't have any other bear groups in our area we are reaching out, globally, for some new friendships in the bear world.

If you'd like to 'play' with us please send me a PM or email using the appropriate link under my avatar.

Big Hugs,
Daphne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hey you Girl.... get off the computer and make some bears  :crackup:

Hmmmm....  maybe I should take my own advise  :doh:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
I thought I felt a swift kick in the butt a while ago! It was YOU!
Thank you... I needed that!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Yeah Someone said something to me about playing on the computer the other day...
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

This computer thing is addictive

!!!! I have a poor little naked bear that needs to be finished. I can't figure out if I want him to be a butterfly or sailor bear with a boat !! When I decide, Im will share his picture. He is 4 inches and turned out really nice. My second bear out of the Sassy fur that every one loves !! My web sight took up a ton of hours this week . I am on vacation this week so, I am doing what ever

I want to do

!! :dance:

Jodi Falk

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jeesh...... no wonder you all aren't part of a bear club.... who needs one when you have the internet and TT! :crackup: What was I thinking? bear_tongue

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You're soo funny Daphne.

But in a way you're right, i guess I don't feel the need for a bear club, bec of TT. Although, there is nothing like hanging out with another bear maker. Instant bond.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

No bear_sad Can I join yours?

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Nope, I don't even know if there are any clubs around me. I bet it would be nice to be part of one though.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Yea ...Who has time for a bear club ??? This keeps me busy !!!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Girls, and Jared too  bear_tongue  I have to say that there is a LOT to be said for "IN THE FLESH" friendships and sharing. Not that I don't love all of you but I have to sometimes make a concentrated effort to stay in touch with the immediate world around me!!!

If there isn't a bear club near you but you know of other bear makers or people interested in learning, why not START a club???? It's really easy! Pick a time, have everyone over and from there you can be as relaxed or formal as you want in how you conduct your meetings.

We sit around my dining room table with coffee and yummies on a Saturday morning each month and other than one of us giving a demo we just let what ever happens happen. Everyone takes turns bringing the food and together we come up with topics to be covered at each meeting. Someone will say "I want to learn how to needlefelt noses on my mohair bear" and so at the next meeting some one does a demo. We always bring our latest work or newest addition to our collection for show and tell.

Something to think about........  bear_happy

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

That's exactly what we do at our club. As well, we make several charity auction bears each year for donation. Each of us takes part of a bear and then we complete it together.

Marion

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I would love to start a teddy bear club!!  I've mentioned it a couple of times....Teddy Bear Artists and Golly Society (TBAGS)....but, I've had so much going on up til this point that I haven't been able to set a date.  I have a show in Lincoln City, Oregon the first weekend of October.  After that.....I'm freeeeeee!! 

I suppose I should just set a date and whoever shows up.....shows up!....and whoever doesn't?..... bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

calabear Cala Bear Den
Winnipeg, MB

Hey this would be a wonderful idea.  We are a small group, i think 6 if we are all there and we've put our heads together and formed a bear club in Manitoba, Canada.  We are so far away from other bear enthusiasts that we started our own annual bear show.  Our second show is coming up on November 4th.  Last year was a great success.  I think i'm the only one who travels out of town to bear shows.

We are supposed to have a meeting this weekend and we do potluck and show 'n tell and talk bears.  It is a great way to get the creativity going and just get going if you think you are in a rut.

Let me know if you would be interested.  I can bounce this off of the group on Sunday.

hugs
carola

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Carola....
The more the merrier!
I've gotten a number of PM's as well.

Perhaps we could do something where we all have a central place to chat, post pictures, share ideas, present challenges, etc. and at the same time it would be fun to do things through snail mail---- bear pen pals sort of thing! I can set something up on a webpage for us if we have multiple groups wanting to 'play' or I can snail mail out a newsletter once a month or something. Now my wheels are spinning. If I headed something like that up with multiple groups and an internet or paper publication I'd want each group to donate a very small amount to cover either postage or internet expenses each month. Very small...

Anyone else want to talk to their bear club about doing an international bear club sort of thing?

At the very least, my group is willing to take on a "sister" club or two or three to keep the bear love alive, well and fun and CONNECTED!! :hug:

lulubears Posts: 280

Hi Carola!  This has nothing to do with a bear club, but when I saw your post, I instantly recognized your name!  I met you about 2 years ago up in Kansas when we set up our bears in the mansions.  I bought two of your pieces, and had set them out just yesterday, as I'm re-doing one of the bedrooms.  One of them was a little burlap bear with yellow/orange pads and a matching hat, and the other was a blue bear - laying down.  I also bought a chick from the lady next to you.   Ah, travelling down memory lane.  Ha!  What a small world.

Luann

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL
Sandi.S. wrote:

Nope, I don't even know if there are any clubs around me. I bet it would be nice to be part of one though.

Sandi -
We would have to start our own club.

calabear Cala Bear Den
Winnipeg, MB
lulubears wrote:

Hi Carola!  This has nothing to do with a bear club, but when I saw your post, I instantly recognized your name!  I met you about 2 years ago up in Kansas when we set up our bears in the mansions.  I bought two of your pieces, and had set them out just yesterday, as I'm re-doing one of the bedrooms.  One of them was a little burlap bear with yellow/orange pads and a matching hat, and the other was a blue bear - laying down.  I also bought a chick from the lady next to you.   Ah, travelling down memory lane.  Ha!  What a small world.

Luann

Hi Luann,

Yes i remember you!  What a small world...well i guess the bear world is a small community.  Yes, i don't know if i make bears because i love making bears or so i have an excuse to travel to other cities....  Great to see you here. 

Sorry everyone for popping something else into this thread.

Bear hugs
Carola

If I started a club, I'd probably be the only member! bear_laugh  I don't know of anyone that lives close to me. (Except for the crazy picture lady!  bear_shocked ) Jared, you're 3 1/2 hours away! Eckk. I just don't know if it would be possible for me to travel that kind of distance every month. If I did, I'd get my but kicked! Daniel's parents live in Chicago and we haven't seen them in a year! bear_shocked So, how do you get people? Where do you find them?

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh No not crazy picture lady !! Don't even go there !!! I would come if I could !!!

Jodi Falk[/size]

2521.gif[/size]

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh, Sandi, you MUST invite her!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Sorry, hon, just kidding! All seems to be quiet as far as I know... I haven't heard from her anyway!  :dance:

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

I did finally send the picture lady a few pictures and she called to say thanks , she was thrilled , and I haven't heard any more sooooo maybe thats it for her calling me  bear_whistle Time will tell.

Jodi Falk

calabear Cala Bear Den
Winnipeg, MB

Sorry i probably missed something, but who is the crazy picture lady? bear_wacko   Now you've got me interested.

carola

Oh, sorry guys for mentioning her. I certainly didn't mean to get the subject changed.  bear_ermm

So, Daphne, how far away do your fellow club members live? How did you find them? Tell me everything...now!  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Carola, She's a not quite mentally stable person calling artists on the phone asking for photos. She gives her mailing address but not phone, says she doesn't have a computer, gets our contact info from old issues of bear mags, never seems to actually BUY a bear and calls some multiple times a day with crazy messages that are hard to make sense out of. She's been at it for years, on and off...... she was recently on an "ON" cycle of calling and once I brought it up on here others spoke up too that they'd received calls so we've compared notes about her. Poor thing... we think she's got a mental condition, can't help what she does. It's just very annoying to get 11 phone calls a day!

ANYWAY...... Miss Sandi.....

One member of my club is my bear mentor... she taught me how to make my first bears and I've been teaching her the latest techniques ever since!  :crackup: She's been making bears for 20 years! She lives 45 minutes away. I found her bears on display at an antiques/gift shop and contacted her by her info on her hang tag.

3 other members are all women who took one or more of my bear making workshops. I got them hooked! bear_original The farthest away is 50 minutes.

-So... teach a class!!!!! bear_original

-Ask Jared about other artists in IL.

-Check out a site that gives links to artists all over the country and lists them by state. There aren't many but Edinburgh has a list by state. Click here: http://www.edinburghimports.com/links/links.asp The folks here at Intercal might be able to help you too.

You might find artists that are too far from your house but perhaps you can all pick a mid-way point to meet at. It's easier that way.... you don't have to cook and clean! Find a not-so-busy restaurant where you can sit in the back, spread out and have fun.

If traveling ends up being involved you don't have to meet EVERY month. My group takes the summers off but you all might want to take the dead of winter months off because of potential driving challenges in bad weather. Or just meet every other month or something.

Just some thoughts.
:hug:

Board footer