Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

I have had lots of request for this so I hope it comes out alright.

Please use this as a guide to critique your own work.  If you would like to use this information for your own competition please acknowledge where you obtained it from.

I know the formating is not the same but please use it as a guide.

TABA®
Critique Sheet-Original Design

Points        Comments
Presentation and Appeal
•    Body Proportions
•    Facial expressions
•    General character of the bear                                    20 points   
Originality
•    Creativity
•    Imagination in design                                        10 points

Choice of Materials-
•    Suitability of fabric for design and size
•    Colour combination fabric and paws        10 points   
Jointing
•    Evenness of all joints
•    Suitability of jointing
•    Position of limbs                                        8 points   
Ears
•    Balanced and firmly attached
•    Size and position                                              8 points   
Eyes
•    Suitability colour appropriately spaced
•    Firmly attached
•    Size suitable in proportion to the character of the bear        8 points   
Nose
•    Even Stitching and mouth
•    Neatness size type and finishing                                 8 points   
Stuffing
•    Head shaped evenly and well stuffed
•    Uniformly stuffed
•    Style and type of filling suitable                                  8 points   
Extra Effort
•    Claws
•    Needling sculpting etc                                                  10 points   
Neatness and Finish
•    Seam centered below the nose
•    Muzzles shave neatly if applicable
•    Paws and foot pad evenly shaped
•    Seam closed neatly                                               10 points   

Total 100 points: ________________________

Please use this competition as a means of feedback on your work and as a guide to improving your bear making skills.  Thank you for entering your bear in the competition.

Signed:______________________________________________    Date: ________________________________

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked ...should I REALLY be entering a bear into the British Bear Artist Awards??..... bear_wacko

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

The only problem I can see with this type of marking system, if used for competition judging, is that bear designers may feel they need to incorporate 'extra effort' detailing to achieve those all important extra 10 marks, thus adding potentially unnecessary detailing which could be detrimental to the appeal of the overall bear.

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia
All Bear wrote:

The only problem I can see with this type of marking system, if used for competition judging, is that bear designers may feel they need to incorporate 'extra effort' detailing to achieve those all important extra 10 marks, thus adding potentially unnecessary detailing which could be detrimental to the appeal of the overall bear.

Paula: When I first entered a comp here, I didn't even know how the points were issued so the bears I submitted went in exactly as I had designed them...to the best of my ability at the time.

Bears I have entered since receiving my first critique sheet have been those where I have tried to improve the areas pointed out in the first critiques. I have never even thought of designing a bear to suit the score sheet, nor would I.

Especially as the overall appeal is a major consideration scoring 20 points. Why would anyone jeopardise those points to score an extra 10 somewhere else? I can't see the sense in that at all.

Lisa: Do you also issue a written sheet from the TABA judges? I have always found these comments to be really beneficial especially when they explain the reason behind the lost point or two.

K Pawz Guest

wow thanks for posting this, it is a good to know...but like Paula said, I only put the claws on bears that they are suited on like Oliver my Avatar, not my colorful bears, as they are not suited....and I am sure that those 10 points make the difference in the long run....I guess in my case if I ever entered an award like this I would enter a bear with the claws not one without...

Hugs,
Krista

Paula's concern was: thus adding potentially unnecessary detailing which could be detrimental to the appeal of the overall bear

Krista: I trust you mean you would be entering a bear that was designed initially with claws as part of the aesthetics of the overall design...not something you added on just to try and gain points.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Lisa,  bear_flower
Thank you for posting this guide.  It's actually quite helpful for beginners and seasoned artists alike.  It never hurts to have a judges eye when looking at the workmanship of your own bear.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

sarahjane Brisbane

Krista it's my undrstanding that the extra effort can be anything that adds to the overall composition of your entry...not necessarily just claws or needle sculpting, I think they are just there as an example of what is meant by "extra". It could be other details that you include on your bear that is extra to a plain bear pattern(or perhaps even a hand made accessory)
I don't think a bear would have to have claws if it didn't suit, in fact if claws were put on a bear  simply to gain points I imagine you may lose points in other areas e.g. Presentation and Appeal

Lisa please correct me if I'm wrong here, it's just that I interpreted it that way.  bear_original

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

This is only a sample of the form. 
The judges are other bear artist that are well respected in the industry.  They have all entered competition here in Australia and understand the issues.  90% of people that enter the competiton are looking for a critique on there work.
Sandi I don't know how to post the form in it's correct format.  There are provsion for judges comments down the RHS.   There are also variation of this form used for different section in the competition ie dressed bears.

ps - claws can also just be embriodered claws.

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Perfect SarahJane - we were both typing at the same time

Thanks Lisa for clarifying that, I thought it would, as most of our Oz comps use much the same guidelines.

Hugs,
Sandi

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Thank You Kisa, for posting a Sample crit sheet.
When I mentioned it a week or so ago in the other thread, I forgot the most beneficial point - that the judges do mark down on the RHS what is especially good about each of the points you've accomplished in the point system, where the difference in a stitch or 2 might have made the difference in a higer point count, and what they feel might inmprove a bear according to the theme or format that the artist presented.
They do not try to rigidly bind you to their ideal of what a bear should be, but understand what you were attempting... and did you pull it off to perfection?

K Pawz Guest

Sorry  :redface: I should have clarified...I would probably be entering a bear like Oliver, or Morgan, or Tundra, that was designed to have claws...I wouldn't put claws on my colorful bears just to gain the points they just wouldn't go!!!

Hugs,
krista

See what I mean now Paula?

We're all too honest to cheat for points!

Hugs,

Kent
Website

It's a tough one Sandi.  As you know from my Completely Classic Challenge, I'm of the view that a beautiful made, simple design can be worth a zillion overly fussed detailings applied to the wrong bear.  We all like to experiment with new ideas and develop our work, but sometimes I think those details can be to the detriment of a design. 

When intricate detailings are an integral part of the design and the design works as a whole, (I've got a picture of Judi's work in my mind as I type in particular) the end result is innovative and well worthy of respect, but I can't see why having a separate mark for 'add ons' is necessary in a competition, if all works are being judged on overall design concept and appeal.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
All Bear wrote:

but I can't see why having a separate mark for 'add ons' is necessary in a competition, if all works are being judged on overall design concept and appeal.

I totally agree with you Paula, very good point. 

:hug:
~Chrissi

pma2003 Seamore Collectibles
CT

Thank you Lisa,
For sending me an email with all the info on the critique sheet.  It has given me new insight into bear competiitons and it's amazing that when I did indeed critique my bears, howmuch detail I have been missing.     
Since I'm  fanatic at trying to be " perfect" I have learnt I have a long way to go. 
But it did not dishearten me too much and I am still entering into  the Toby awards.

sarahjane Brisbane

but I can't see why having a separate mark for 'add ons' is necessary in a competition, if all works are being judged on overall design concept and appeal.

I don't think the competition judges work that way where they feel that the bear must have extras in order to gain the points...They are usually very experienced and are allowed to use their own discretion and I'm sure in some cases you will gain those points just for knowing what to leave out.

The seperate mark for add ons does allow them to give credit to someone (maybe like Judi) who does put a lot of extra effort into their work. If those marks weren't there and you had two technically perfect bears with a lot of appeal but one obviously required heaps of extra work how do you reward the artist for that?

:redface:  This is just a thought and of course not meant to offend anyone who makes beautiful traditional bears...I have seen many traditional bears as winners in competitions over here, well made designs, simple or not will always come out on top.

I must admit I love the critique sheet and think it is set up pretty well but I can see that if you've never experienced a competition that has used one before it could be misunderstood. It really is a fabulous learning tool for all bear makers both experienced and inexperienced.

Kent
Website

Thanks Sarahjane ... that clarifies things more clearly for me.  I've never entered a competition that uses this system of critiquing and am very interested in how it is applied effectively.  bear_original

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Thanks sarahjane I couldn't have said it better. 

It really is a fabulous learning tool for all bear makers both experienced and inexperienced.

The critique sheet is not a rigid form.  It is varied according to the each section, class and category in a competition. 

Another thought for you - a bear may look great but be poorly constructed (puckered seams/loose joints).   Australian competitions are workmanship based as well as looking at the overall appeal and extra effort.

Paula - I am not 100% sure about this but I think this system is only used in Australia.   A few years ago I can remember someone on another list asked for a copy but I am unsure if they ever used it for a competition themselves.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA
All Bear wrote:

Yes I agree

Board footer