Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi.  I am so pleased with a recent background I used that I wanted to share it with you.

Since I have already posted this bear on TT I won't take up any more space but you can see this back ground in the Bears for Sale, Baby Sherwood or click on this link:

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=6128

The back ground I used is plane white banner paper, which I bought in a roll from Hobby Lobby( very inexpensive too).  I  clipped it  up in my photo tent.  I used some lighting BEHIND the paper.  It's thin enough that the light passes through.  You can also use colored lights.  I used only white light but it gave such a nice clear image of my bear with out any disractions.

bear_original

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

My photography is on a par with my computer skill - zippo-. :doh:

I'm sure others will appreciate your information as always.

Thanks for sharing.

Sandra   :redface:

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I was just thinking of asking you about that background Judi...and here now you read my mind I think bear_grin ,,,

I was down at Micheals shopping today and noticed some of the wonderful papers in the scrapbook section and picked up a piece of one that had pine needles boughs all over it. They looked real..hmm, I thought...now that would look really great for background for some on my  bear photos !
I suppose there are other designs that would be neat . This may work for small bears....you would need more pieces to mount up on poster board...I imagine the design would repeat and connect somewhere so it may be possible to do this to cover the board.
Another idea would be to purchase print fabric...not too busy but perhaps with a nice uncomplimented theme. We can see that  other than  a plain background  works for your bears Judi ...so it might be fun look around and see what would work for our theme bears....I am always looking for something different .... Winney

Densteds Densteds
Website

It really gives a lovely effect, thanks for the tip Judi!!!  bear_flower

Dilu Posts: 8,574

What a great idea Judi,

and since its on a roll no fold marks!  Neater, and no Ironing..

clever lady, you!

hugs

dilu

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

That is nice, Judi, it has a soft rich look to it. What a great idea, I like the fact that you can change the look with colored lights. And no wrinkles is an added bonus!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I must have felt your vibes Winney, when I posted this topic.

Gosh, there are so many possilities for backgrounds it can be mind boggling.  I just picked up three rolls of professional photographers back ground paper.  Get this...$110.00  ouch...they look nice and come on a large roll so I have to cut it...but for the example I mentioned earlier...it was less than $5.00.

I like your idea Winney with the pine needles.

Yes, Dilu...no ironing.....no ironing is good :dance:   Anything to save a step...

Sandra, it will get easier as you go along.  If you could see my photography when I started out....[cringe]..... let's just say it has come a long way in the past 6 years.  It seems it is a continuous learning process...and lots of trial and error.

Another nice background is black velvet.  It is so rich looking and for some reason the bear's colors photograph exactly as I see it...no color adjustments needed.  I wonder if this is because the  black absorbes the light....hhhmmmm

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I just had a thought...Can a person just scan the paper background , save it ... then on your photo remove its background... save it  (you know where I am going with this ...

Now, with photoshop program use the paper background as a first layer then use you bear photo as the second layer....add anything else like type on top as the third layer....walla!

Would this not save a heap of money buying backgrounds and be ever so creative too?....Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Probably Winney...but dumbo here has not figured out how to do layers yet.  It's on my to-do list bear_laugh

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Judi you are right this does make a nice inexpensive alternative to professional background papers.
Yes I am late on this one. Just lurking around the archives.
Though I have found some inexpensive equipment on www.bhphoto.com too.
The background paper I bought was about $19.00/roll, but I checked out the bargin section too. I think it was a used roll. It was still in good shape when I got it and well worth the money spent.

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

herschellethegnomeie2.jpg

This is an example of my first photographic attempt.

I have a piece of brown velvet which I peg to my curtains in our family room.  I have the camera set on "p" so that the flash does not work.  The only drama is I have to wait for a sunny day as I haven't got any special lights to use.
Next time I set it up will post a picture of " my photographic studio"

One has to make do with what one has..... bear_rolleyes

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Looks really good to me.
I just use little task lights to diect light on my subjects.
Here's a photo of my setup.
PhotoSet.jpg
NOTE: Rarely do I use the lights that are peaking up over the back of the white background paper.
Most of the time it is the task lights that I use.
I turn off my flash.
I have my white balance set to Incandesant lights = true colours
I slow my ISO down to 64
I might open my EV to +0.3, +0.7 or -0.3, -0.7, but this all depends on the bear/bunny that I am photographing.
I recommend reading your camera's manual.
I say EXPERIMENT to find what will work for you.
I also suggest investing in a couple pieces of sturdy white poster board or matte board. You can use these on the opposite side of your light source to reflect light back on to your subject. This can make a huge difference in the quality of your photos. :photo:

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Oooh, I hadn't thought of it for bears before, but I have a video editing program where you film in front of a green screen and then put whatever background you want in place of the green.  I think I'll try this with a bear photo.  I could put my bear, in . . . say,  Tahiti or London, or Mt. Everest or well, any place that I have a photo of.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Tuppies Teddie. wow , if that is yoru first attempt you are on your way to some really great shots!

Jared, I like that roll holder you have in your photo.  Where did you find that?  I use our limbo set to hold my rolls...yes our limbo set.  My hubby is a limbo master!  Yours looks more practical and easier to adjust.  Id like to get one.  Also thanks for the link.

Thanks ever so much for the advice about the white poster board.  I am always looking for ways to improve my photography.  That makes such great sense!

Board footer