Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

As you know, the show I produced in Maine back in August was a great success and so I've let that go to my head bear_original and am working on my show schedule for next year and will be adding another show or two.

My questions to you are:

Would you do a show on a holiday weekend? For instance, here in the US we have Columbus Day coming up which for some means a day off on Monday. Here in New England where I'm doing my shows, folks get in the car and go 'leaf peeping' (viewing the fall foliage.) Do you think that would be a good weekend to get folks to a bear show or not?

If a show promoter offered a special $ deal to artists who signed up by a certain date to do more than one of their shows in a given year would that tempt you? Say a 10% discount off booth fees if you sign up and pay for 2 shows by December 31st.

I know I could just try this out and see what happens but you all are great for tossing ideas around with and it's folks like you who I want participating in my shows so I appreciate your feedback!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Hi Daph.......Shows over holiday weekends....Major holidays like Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, I do not and will not do shows. My hubby has long weekends and we have a family tradition (with or without kids) to go camping. Other less holidays, Columbus Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. day, I would probably consider. People are out leaf-peeping for Columbus Day and might stop into a bear show.

Discounts on shows? Definately! I would take advantage of that idea........

I look forward to doing at least one of your shows next year, if you wat me there again......I had so much fun in Maine (hubby did also, though he probably won't admit he enjoyed working a Teddy Bear show!  :crackup: )

pandamac

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Ah Daphne, I really hope I can do one of your shows in 2007!  Keep us all informed of dates as soon as you know them, we're already planning next year's show schedule now <hint hint>.

Daphne wrote:

Would you do a show on a holiday weekend?

Well, I probably could... but I think that many people, particularly those with school-age children, could not. 

Daphne wrote:

If a show promoter offered a special $ deal to artists who signed up by a certain date to do more than one of their shows in a given year would that tempt you?

Yup!  Discounts are always appreciated :-)

Valerie of Bright Star had her two back-to-back shows this year (two shows on the same weekend within driving distance of each other, one in Columbus on Saturday and Ann Arbor on Sunday)... she offered a discount if you signed up for both shows in the weekend.  It was a really nice idea, and we did participate in both.  In fact, I LOVED doing back-to-back shows in two areas on the same weekend, so how's that for food for thought...

Cheers,
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kelly makes a great point about those with kids.  I could not do a holiday weekend show and frankly wouldn't want to, because I share custody of my children with their dad.  That's good for them and I'm happy about that arrangement because it's the right thing to do.  But it does make me really selfish about hoarding my weekend time with them when they ARE with me... especially LONG weekends, or SPECIAL weekends!

Also like Kelly said, discounts are always appreciated.  However, sometimes it all boils down to, "Can I get the inventory ready / Do I have the resources of cash and time?  Or not?"  And that's not always visible, to me anyway, far in advance of a show date.

Great questions; I surely appreciate all you're attempting to do for the bear industry, Daphne!

sarahjane Brisbane

Go Daphne...I'm too far away to do any of your shows...but good luck and maybe one day!!!  bear_innocent

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks for your input.

I'm not asking any of you to do MY show in particular... it doesn't matter where you live... if ANY show promoter offered a show on Columbus Day weekend for instance would you participate and would a discount on multiple shows by the same promoter appeal to you?

That's all I'm asking! bear_original

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Daphne,

Our tropical fish club has put on a regional convention on Memorial Day weekend for the past 15 years.  We always get out of town people to come as they love the long weekend... we almost NEVER get the local people to come because they are out of town.

So I would guess that it might not be good for bear shows either... as people would be out of town. 

Discounts??? Yes, it would certainly tempt me to sign up & pay early if there was a discount!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

That's really interesting that Laura's fish club does well on Memorial Day (with everyone but the locals!).  I wonder how many of them use it as an excuse to vacation to Chicago AND do something for a hobby they enjoy!

Well, there's an idea right there.  If you consider a holiday weekend show, why not tie it in with a "family activity" package or just have it in a very interesting area to visit.  You could schedule a tour to see fall foliage in New England, or charter a bus to take family members to a local amusement park for the day while mom hangs out with the bears, or... whatever.

It's a shame the economy in my area is so dead right now, I could name a few interesting places to look into in western NY.  On the other hand, I would have also said that Binghamton would be a very bad place to hold a show, and look how successful TBAI is.  Well, who knows!

Cheers,
Kelly

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Daphne,
First, Congratulations on your show! I've heard you did a great job! I think artist's opinions will differ depending on how they view their "teddy bear" career. I attend shows solely on their ability to draw serious collectors. I will do any show, any time, and pay almost any price (discounts aren't that important to me) if I think the promoter is attracting my collectors to their show. And I work with them; special series, auction pieces, advertising. If the show promoter is doing their best I'm willing to do my part to promote the show. My most profitable shows in 2006 were the most expensive shows, but my profits more than made up for the costs. I only do 4-5 shows a year and I'm very selective. Shows are a lot of work and expensive for artists, collectors and promoters. I think you have to know your audience and what you expect from a show before you make a decision.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Board footer