Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadian TT'ers!
:pray: Have a wonderful weekend- we have so much to be thankful for :pray:

( To our American friends...we celebrate much earlier, as its harder to be thankful when its -40 and blizzarding! LOL)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving from me too!

:dance:

Cheryl, in the US Thanksgiving has always meant the official opening of the Christmas season. Here it's the prelude to Halloween--and I'm still not quite used to it.

However, I get to celebrate both American and Canadian Thanksgivings, Huzza! The more turkey and pumpkin pie the better bear_thumb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL CANADIANS ON TT!  It is my hubby's favourite holiday, next to Xmas and he has been bringing home so much food, our fridge is about to pop (he manages a big Loblaws so it's easy to feed his food addiction LOL!)

Lisa, ours is a bit more low key than yours - no parades etc. We always like to take a drive to see the fall colours of the leaves on Thanksgiving weekend.  It will be nice this year as it's the first holiday we have been so close to our daughter and family.  It feels wonderful.

hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU CANADIANS FROM ME TOO!!!  Eat well!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

My turkey is cooking as I'm typing!

Happy Thanksgiving to every Canadian!

Jane

Stellajella Wien

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO CANADA!!!!

Like Lisa I wonder: is turkey somehow involved???

Gaby bear_flower

clare14 Country Bears
England

Sounds wonderful!!   I'm going to sound very thick now - but what does 'Thanksgiving' celebrate - it's only 'cos I'm dead jealous that we don't get one here in the UK, well and the fact I obviously didn't listen in history class!!   :doh:

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

Sounds wonderful!!   I'm going to sound very thick now - but what does 'Thanksgiving' celebrate -

Hi Clare
I copied the 'official' definition of Thanksgiving from Wikipedia:

Following a nineteenth century tradition, most Americans believe that the first American Thanksgiving was a feast that took place on an unremembered date, sometime in the autumn of 1621, at Plymouth Plantation, Massachusetts. In 1620, a group led by separatists from the Church of England, who were heading for Virginia, instead landed at modern-day Plymouth, Massachusetts, for uncertain reasons. In the autumn of 1621, they celebrated a three-day harvest feast with the native Wampanoag people, without whom they would not have survived the winter of 1620.

Although, I can't speak for all Canadians, we tend to sort of ignore the 'pilgrim' aspects of the day and concentrate on the change of seasons and a general remembrance of the year. Oh yeah, did I mention the big roast turkey? YUM!!!!!!!!!! bear_wub

Cheryl bear_laugh

K Pawz Guest

MMMMMM.....Can't wait for Turkey tomorrow!!!
Happy Thanksgiving

Bear Hugs,
Krista

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original It's a Harvest Festival--in Canada's colder climate, harvest comes earlier. In Canada, it's also the weekend when people shut down their cottages, beach their boats, etc. But since it falls on a Monday, not a Thursday, Thanksgiving here is a shorter long weekend.

In the US, it's a Harvest Festival (later because of the later harvest in warmer climes), but it's also a patriotic holiday (pilgrims at Plymouth Rock surviving their first winter . . . or did they?) and the opening of the Christmas season. I think Abraham Lincoln established the holiday. Somebody help--I'm too tired to check.

I spent most of my youthful Thanksgivings participating in school pageants, dressed as a prim pilgrim lady in black-and-white crepe paper, usually married to the creepiest male pilgrim in the school. I always wanted to be the Indian. Or the turkey.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends - have a very happy weekend and even if you are not
celebrating thanksgiving...  there is so much to be thankful for.

Hugs
Carolyn
:hug:  bear_flower  :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canadians! We're having our turkey tomorrow (Sunday) but have been eating WELL all weekend with our daughter down visiting - so I am already STUFFED -  bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Renae,
     Yes, pumpkin is part of the tradition, although I can't stand it.  There are however, two of them in our fridge, waiting for Monday's feast.  There is of course, whipped cream to go with them - I like the whipped cream!

hugs,

Brenda

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone in Canada!! The turkey is in the oven and pumpkin pie is my favorite part. Brenda, my daughter is like you....she just wants the whipped cream!

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Happy Thanksgiving to Canada !!! Yummy food !!!!! Joyful praise

!!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540
Eileen wrote:

I spent most of my youthful Thanksgivings participating in school pageants, dressed as a prim pilgrim lady in black-and-white crepe paper, usually married to the creepiest male pilgrim in the school. I always wanted to be the Indian. Or the turkey.

:crackup: Sorry to be heartless, but that really summed up school!  LOL

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all our lovely Canadian TTers!!!!

Enjoy an extra slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream...especially since I'm on a diet and can't  bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Sorry to be heartless, but that really summed up school!  LOL

It certainly did for me too, Debbie--I don't remember a thing about lessons, but all those moments of dread, humiliation, despair . . . I'll never forget any of it.

Renae--I'd totally forgotten that scene. Absolute Perfection. I love the Addams Family in any form!

I actually got to see an exhibit of Charles Addams' original work at the New York Public Library a few years back. Blisssssssss. bear_wub

Board footer