Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Hello everyone,
I seem to be having trouble finding old shoe button eyes. If anyone can help please let me know.
Thanks so much.

Bonnie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Lora Soling uses them occasionally and other times says she ages her eyes.  Maybe she has a supplier she'd be willing to share?  www.lorabears.com

Lincoln Ca.

Thanks Shel for the information.

Hugs
Bonnie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Pamela Wooley sells them from her website.  Click on www.pamelawooley.com and scroll down toward the bottom, then click on antique shoebuttons.  She has 8, 9, and 10mm sizes.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have in the past found antique shoe buttons on ebay.  My greatest find has been in antique shops.  I have found packets of them (approx. 10 per pack) for $1.00 a packet.  I also have heard that you can use sandpaper to "antique" black eyes.  I haven't tried this yet.

Lincoln Ca.
SueAnn wrote:

Pamela Wooley sells them from her website.  Click on www.pamelawooley.com and scroll down toward the bottom, then click on antique shoebuttons.  She has 8, 9, and 10mm sizes.

Thanks SueAnn, I had bought from Pamela years ago but did not have her web site.
I appreciate the information.

Hugs
Bonnie

Lincoln Ca.
millie wrote:

I have in the past found antique shoe buttons on ebay.  My greatest find has been in antique shops.  I have found packets of them (approx. 10 per pack) for $1.00 a packet.  I also have heard that you can use sandpaper to "antique" black eyes.  I haven't tried this yet.

Great find Millie, that's the way to buy.  :dance:  Thanks so much....

Hugs
Bonnie

weebears WEE BEARS
Slidell, La.
Website

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know of a source for the tiny 3mm shoebutton eyes?  I've used the acrylic that Edinburgh sells but you can't squeeze the post and it makes a big hole in a tinybear.  The eyes on a whole look nice. I was hopeing to myabe find them with a wire post.

thanks,
Joanne

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I have lots of old shoe button eyes, bought them a few years back from a business in the UK that no longer is around. I think I have from  approx 6mm upwards to 10mm.
I have about 8 pairs left of 12mm that have been stored in chalk since 1902, normally I use these for a very secial bear, the others - well they here just because I have to have everything that has to be had !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can let anyone have if they are interested,
Lynette

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

Hello-Old shoe button eyes can be found at www.laboursoflove.com.I don't think that Debra sells any as small as 3mm. though.I have heard that you can use glass eyes and sand them with sandpaper(of course!!)-then seal it with a clear coat of varnish.Hope this helps.Have to go now and watch hockey as my son's team is in Moncton for the Canadian University Championships.He plays for Wilfred Laurier.If they win tonight they move to finals tomorrow evening.TSN is showing the game on National television @7:00.I am so nervous!!!

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Jane I am gonna get in so much trouble with that site....they've got good stuff!!

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

BearyCheap here in Aus sells boot button eyes too - they look almost velvety in the photos.

http://www.bearycheap.com/ezimerchant/category95_1.htm

good luck!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Gerrys also sell replica boot-button eyes . I use them quite alot. The smallest I have is a 6mm sorry.
WEndy

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

Kim i love your new avatar! did you do that yourself?  deb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Lesch Eyes - Germany

Oh oh oh!! I know this one!! (waving arm like a lunatic!!)
We visited the factory and saw their entire production line. Actually most of it is hand-on production. They make even 1 mm glass-on-wire eyes by hand. Buying right there is the supreme savings!!

Look through their site. I think they've got the widest range. They're glass of course, but with the new finishes that manufacturers use it's hard to tell them from old leather. And a lot cheaper!  I used acid to wipe over the surface, wash & dry them and seal or not for the look I wanted. Sandpapaer wasn't as even a finish as the wipe-over. I used a liquid from stained glass suppliers.

http://www.lesch.de/html/body_products.html

http://www.hermann.de/fertigung/lesch01e.htm

http://www.lesch.de/html/body_about_us.html

Board footer