Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana
TeddyTyke wrote:

Also a Brit but I lived in Colorado for a year. There were a couple where none of the options were British English, so I just chose at random. They say American English is largely pronounced the way it is as an offshoot of South Western British English, although it evolved differently... Aussie slang words have a lot more in common with British English - when I lived in the US I worked with an Aussie and we'd say things to eachother that no-one else could understand!  I always found it interesting that you have words like *trash* and *sidewalk* that died out from British English around the 18thC and many things most Brits think of as 'Americanisms' are actually just archaic British English (Can you tell I did a degree in English? !) Also we seem to have far more swear words and some of your rude words aren't rude here, and vice versa:

How INTERESTING!!  I love studying language, and your summary sounds absolutely fascinating.  I am enthralled by the Cockney rhyming slang---and found this awhile back:

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/rabbit.aspx

Fun fun fun!  Cockney rhyming slang, for those of you who remember Don Cheadle's part in Ocean's 11/12, is explained below:

Originating in London's East End in the mid-19th century, Cockney rhyming slang uses substitute words, usually two, as a coded alternative for another word. The final word of the substitute phrase rhymes with the word it replaces (for example - the cockney rhyming slang for the word 'look' is 'butcher's hook'). When only the first word of the replacement phrase is used, as is usual, the meaning is difficult to guess (ie 'butchers' = 'look'). Rhyming slang began 200 years ago among the London east-end docks builders. Cockney rhyming slang then developed as a secret language of the London underworld from the 1850's, when villains used the coded speech to confuse police and eavesdroppers. Since then the slang has continued to grow and reflect new trends and wider usage, notably leading to Australian rhyming slang expressions, and American too. Many original cockney rhyming slang words have now entered the language and many users are largely oblivious as to their beginnings.

...I love all of our differences that make us such unique individuals!!

Amelia

Stellajella Wien

Teddy Tyke, I had a giggle when I read about you and your aussi colleague. 
At  high school I was a wee rebell  :redface:  didn´t like my english teacher who tought us british english; I was rather going for american english and she hated my accent  :crackup: .
Then about 30 later I had an english boy friend, very well mannered who spoke perfectly nice english, but also was firm with american and australian expressions and boy, are there lots of differences! bear_wacko
I´m not the rebell anymore, I´m rather a chicken who doesn´t want to loose her job. We have some very badly mannered passengers at times and some americans already yelle" kiss my ass" in the office ( sorry TT  :redface: ) and I would just loooove to answer something like: " Oh, sir, so you brought your donkey with you?"  :crackup:
Language- very interesting subject!

Gaby bear_flower

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Interesting!

I was born in the northwest, spent some early years there, spent most of my life in the midwest with a few years spent in Florida and then a bit in the southwest. Here is mine:

Your Linguistic Profile: 
70% General American English 
10% Upper Midwestern 
10% Yankee 
5% Dixie 
0% Midwestern 

O% midwestern even though I've spent most of my life in the midwest! hmmmm bear_ermm

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

My parents were British and I guess a lot of it rubbed off.  I also watch BBC and PBS almost exclusively.

***Your Linguistic Profile:***

45% General American English

20% Yankee

15% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Midwestern

hugs,

Brenda

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

50% General American English
25% Yankee
20% Dixie

Hmmm wonder who snuck into my history? 
I'm an an aussie and my parents poms :crackup:

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Hey Paula and Jane, can you answer for me? bear_grin Maybe i speack a kind of 100% americain-french general english? :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Lucky you all, you didn't heard me speacking bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Well, that's given me an identity crisis!!  :crackup:

Mind you, I had to guess at a couple of the answers because I didn't understand them in 'proper' English terms!  Also, shopping goes in 'trolleys' (no answer option for that) and feet workout in 'trainers' here in the UK, not sneakers or tennis shoes.  AND what on earth is toilet papering about???????????  Sounds like an arrestable offence to me!!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

40% General American English

30% Yankee

20% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

Irene, you speak the most beautiful 'Franglais', with a very [INVALID] accent!! Ooh la la!!  bear_grin

Dilu Posts: 8,574

GABRIELLA

Unfortunately we aren't called The Ugly Americans for nothing....we have many many compatriots to thank for our ugly reputations in Europe.  Like the ones yelling in your office.

I have been quite angry in my day and never ever would have thought of yelling that!

I remember my first half day at boarding school.  The girls on my floor said I could go to town with them as long as:

1.  I never speak when anyone is around, even just standing in queue.
2.  I never ever ever tell anyone outside of school where I originated
3.  I let the boy friends use my bedroom window to come in and out. 

seemed fair to me

We developed a great working relationship....

oh, why my bedroom window?, closest to the entrance gate, and had a grand tree right by the window so they could climb up and down.

Times were a little more innocent in the late 60's.

bear_grin

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

Thought I'd give it a try, even though I'm English, I lived in the states for a number of years as a kid..and now in Wales,UK, were I can't understand the accent or language. lol

60% General American English

20% Yankee

10% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
http://www.blogthings.com/whatkindofame … speakquiz/

TeddyTyke Posts: 65

Gaby - what you said reminded me of something else. bear_grin  At university, I did English and chose to do most of my courses in Old English, Old Norse and Middle English. I was really lucky to learn Old Norse (the language of the vikings) for the whole 3 years. Once, our professor (who was Scots) told us we were actually speaking Old Icelandic with an 'American' accent - so we were English people, learning Old Norse with a Scots burr and an American accent!

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

Here's mine:

35% General American English

35% Yankee

15% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oops, I think I'm proud of my self.  bear_grin 

45% General American English

25% Yankee

10% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Midwestern

beary_clairey Luton

This is me: Although I say shopping trolley, not cart!!

50% General American English

25% Yankee

20% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

Stellajella Wien

Dilu, I have never heard about ugly Americans bear_happy but I´ve experienced some.
Funny, that in US Americans always have been very polite so I wonder, WHERE do the impolite ones live???
Guess you had a smashing time at boarding school any you might be right: the 60 might have been more innocent.

TeddyTyke, Old English and Middle English sound very interesting, my ex was perfect in these and  loved to listen to him … I once told him, that I couldn´t read, because I hadn´t read in years ( I was joking, I do actually know how to read ) and then I bought the Canterburry Tales and cheeses, this was hard to read: Bruce had a giggle, teasing me, that I couldn´t read.

Gaby bear_flower

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Here's me:

60% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
10% Dixie
5% Yankee
0% Midwestern

I found the Dixie bit odd, considering I spent 18 years in California, and the following 20 in Pennsylvania!

What is a "cruller" anyway?

Mindy

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Your Linguistic Profile:

40% General American English

30% Yankee

15% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatkindofame … speakquiz/

Ok this is me. But really talk 'American sitcom' bear_grin

Board footer